Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 PM

179 posts, read 326,763 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I am up for a possible transfer to Anchorage from Miami, so I've been looking into the housing market/areas. I would be working primarily at the airport. I know that the best idea would be to rent at first, but to be honest, I'm both sick of throwing money away on rent and unimpressed by the Anchorage apartments that I've been able to find online, so I'm really tempted to buy a condo or townhouse. I'm just not sure where would be ideal. Any recommendations?

I'd like to stay under $1700/month, but would be willing to pay a bit more, depending on what amenities/utilities are included. Also need something that is pet friendly, as I have two cats, comes with W/D hookups or furnished W/D, preferably a dishwasher, and covered parking or a garage. That has made the search a bit more difficult, lol, which is adding to my urge to just buy something.

It's just me and the cats, so a 1 bedroom would be fine, but I would like to have a 2nd for guests. I would likely just be packing what fits in the car, instead of moving all of my stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 03:34 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,545,516 times
We did the move from Miami to Anchorage....

While I owned a home in South Dade - we have not bought in Anchorage yet. In fact, I think that we will keep on renting for a bit. Quite possible a real estate meltdown is coming. It is tough with pets but not impossible. Your rent price restriction for what you want might be rough right now though.

In Miami stuff is available in huge numbers all year long. In Anchorage the availability of housing is significantly reduced in the winter compared to the summer and is much more noticeable. (Also because Anchorage has 300k people compared to Miami-Dade's 2.6 million)

Old 02-13-2016, 03:36 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,329,617 times
I don't live in Alaska but you'd better buy a big snow shovel

Old 02-13-2016, 03:52 PM

No more than you need in Hartford... I think you have gotten more snow than Anchorage.

You do need crampons to walk around lately in Anchorage though.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:11 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,020,670 times
If you want to live near the airport you will find a lot of condos and townhouses in the Sand Lake area which is just south of the airport. If you look at Google Earth that is the area from the airport south to Dimond Blvd. All in all that is a fairly decent part of town. There are a few problem areas but no more than any other part of town.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:02 PM

80 posts, read 147,037 times
Hey ldl5112,

As a Realtor I can't steer you one way or another for neighborhoods, but if you want to live somewhat close to the airport, I included listings that are and would fit your needs in the second link. The first link is for ALL rentals on the MLS that fit your criteria (one or two I'm not sure have a W/D or hookups). Landlords are less keen to allow cats because cat spray smell is so difficult to get out, and if they've had one bad experience it ruins it for the rest even if that's not an issue for your cats.

flexmls

flexmls

If you are interested in crime: RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

I can refer you to property manager for renting or if you are looking to buy I can help directly. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2016, 11:11 AM

179 posts, read 326,763 times
Thanks! I'm just waiting now to hear back about the transfer. It's government, so it will probably take a while. I'm just hoping that it actually happens sometime this summer (preferably mid-May or so, since my lease is up around then), so I don't have to jump right into winter, lol!

Old 02-22-2016, 10:11 PM

I hope you get your transfer and you like it up here...

Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,677 times
DO NOT rent from Weidner. DON'T. They are slumlords. Sneaky, criminals. Read BBB and consumer reviews. They monopolize the rental market in Anchorage. Be careful when looking to make sure any place you are interested is not one of theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: