Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,184,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSo3t View Post

I guess my worries and questions would be:

Regarding state taxes, i'm aware of the state is in some serious **** financially and an income tax is on the table, what are the odds of this coming to fruition? , easily a deal breaker for me.
DOn't worry about coming up if this is a deal breaker. Unless you are willing to join the militia. We are currently organizing to overthrow the tyrant government in Juneau and Washington. Cook Inlet Oil Party!

What is the grocery stores like? There is only one, and it can get quite busy on the 15th and 30th when foodstamps are distributed.

Can you eat healthy? SUre can. We have all kinds of pop and chips. Easy to get all the basic food groups covered. There are also plenty of dehydrated veggies available at this store.

Speaking of comfort food, whats the dining quality like? IF you are here during the summer it is fine, during the winter we can't get out of our houses to get to the diners. I guess you will need to rethink it since you fish during the summer.

Is there a wide range "healthyish" places to to out and eat at? Plenty of organic free range fish and red meat.

Different culinary styles? We have american, alaskan, and Chinese. Sometimes we can get betty crocker.

Whats the gym scene like, are there good gyms? Lots of outdoor gyms. They are nice when the bugs aren't bad and when it isn't to cold. One time my hands got stuck to the bench press bar from sweat and the cold. Freaking hurt. Peeled my skin right off. I had to miss three sets while I healed.

Is Anchorage a good city for running? Lots of opportunities to run from the gang activity and the muggers. If you want a little slower pace, you can run from the homeless drunks.

Whats real-estate doing right now?
Not much. It is there, but not doing to much. I think it is on a potty break, but not 100% sure.

Is Anchorage real-estate a solid investment for the most part?
more liquid.

How long in a year do i need to be in the state to reap some of the benefits or residency? 345 3/4 days.

If i'm gone for the winter and buy one of these condos with it's own garage, is it terribly common to have people breaking in? Not breaking in, but it is against the law to lock your doors in the winter. People may need your condo to survive the harsh winter. There is an unspoken rule that you leave things in better shape than you found it. sometimes people like to leave their pet bed bugs for you.

Would a building be better for my personal situation? Isn't a condo a building?

It has to be pretty common for people to own property and then skip town for the winter?
Not really. It cost to much money to skip town.

HOA fee's apparently include heating over the winter? Yes, and after two years of not paying the HOA fees, you get grandfathered in and they can't kick you out or cut off your heat.

How does that work?
You don't pay and your neighbors have to foot your heating bill. It is fun.

How is the internet?
It is world wide. You won't have any issues. Streaming is unlimited and it only costs like $29.99 a month.

hopefully it's picking up and becoming cheaper?
It's free in 2017.
All you need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 09:51 AM

10,684 posts, read 7,898,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSo3t View Post
What is the grocery stores like? Can you eat healthy?

Is there a wide range "healthyish" places to to out and eat at?
Whats the gym scene like, are there good gyms?

Is Anchorage a good city for running? i usually run 20-40 miles in a week, i would like to keep that up.

You don't fit the profile of a real Alaskan. You'll be welcome when you come back fat and pasty faced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage