U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:56 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,035,395 times

Advertisements

I really know nothing about anchorage so tell me about it. If you want to you can ask me about omaha, ne
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 671,598 times
Anchorage Alaska has changed so much in the last 30 years It is still a great place to live but traffic can sometimes be a problem belive it or not.

I live in the Arctic and I would not ever live anyplace else. I live in the far frozen north paradise of Alaska. I would not have it any other way.

I live with Inupiaq Eskimos for 28 years !!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,714,233 times
Majik...wonderful! I'm trying to learn about alaska...and it's nice to find an alaskan who generously shares their love of where they live & their life. that's a pretty rare trait anywhere, right? I absolutely loved your website. Thanks for posting something so positive!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 671,598 times
thanks seebee

I could sit here all day and tell you about my love of this State. but the Arctic is truely paradise. it is another world, a different planet so to speak.

with all the modern luxuries of high tech civilized society. Plenty of jobs, high pay, free heat, natural gas from 200 miles away in Prudhoe bay.

Anchorage is spread out, it is larger than new york city im told. but the same stores exist in all different area of the city..

It is a very common sight to see on college campuses and in shopping malls, of students and teenagers walking around with just a T-shirt and short cuts.. .. when it is zero outside. the cold is very very dry and as such it doesn't penetrate as it does in very damp enviorments. Which makes it a pure pleasure to stay outside and have fun for extended periods of time provided your dressed correctly. I guess the best way to describe this cold is that is just gets "on" you.. it never penetrates. The summers are the most fantastick part of living in Alaska.

Sitting outside having a barbecue @ 11 pm in sunlght Anchorage doesn't have the midnight sun but you have sunlight up to about 11:30 pm before it sets.

The Arctic is different.. I see little chldren always running out of houses with no jacket on when it is 50 below zero and that mother chasing that child all over the place trhying to get the parky back on.. this has often mystified me to no end.. I guess the children just love the "rush" of running out there like that. they do it so much and always laughing.

Anchorage, wonderful place to live. majectic mountians. Alaska has the most spectacular scenry anywhere.

but Anchorage is for people that like city life. I do not want any part of that any longer. I much rather the peace and quiet of a simple village life much nicer. our backyard is larger than most states and even some countries. I do not want the noise and hassles of trafic.. I am too young to keep that frustating expensive habit a part of my lifestyle any longer. It is so funny and humorous to listen to the news about the price of Gas.. "suddenly" thi sis big major news. We have been paying over $5.00 per gallon for many many years up here.

It all depends on what you want and where you want to do that.

I do not like the "heat" and Anchorage is getting hotter in the summer time. I must prefer the constant strong winds of the Arctic. Just like a motorcycle riders always like the feel of the wind in their face.. the same is true of the arctic.

Last edited by Majik_Imaje; 03-14-2008 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-14-2008, 10:54 PM

15,598 posts, read 36,575,042 times
The Official Anchorage Alaska Travel Guide from the Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau

Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,496 times
Thank you I checked out the link you suggested, very helpful.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,035,395 times
Well, I guess this thread is back just in time for its 1 year anniversary!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 PM

905 posts, read 2,217,425 times
People just never let them die...lol

Old 02-27-2009, 09:36 AM

15,598 posts, read 36,575,042 times
Anchorage...a town like any other town...and then...I arrived.

I remember it well. I was but a young lad of 7 back in late 67. Walked down a flight of stairs in the much smaller than today Anchorage Airport and saw this frightfull creature hanging on the wall. It looked like a giant spider. Dad...what is that I asked. That my boy...is a king sized crab. Some of the best eating a person will ever encounter.
I thought to myself...great...they have giant spider looking things crawling around here? Little did I know they lived miles away under miles of water. Bears never even caused me concern...but how can anyone survive in a land crawling with giant spiders! And people eat them! Stepping off the plane in Anchorage was a life changing experience for this 7 year old southern MN farm boy let me tell ya!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 AM

17,740 posts, read 31,442,894 times
Rance: Some say that Anchorage is a step closer to Alaska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage