Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Anchorage really this bad?
Yes, unfortunately this is the reality of what the city has become. 22 36.07%
No, you only saw a bad glimpse of an otherwise great and clean city. 7 11.48%
It's a mixture depending on where you are. 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What are you talking about? Engage in what sort of behavior? RCA didn't close in Camden due to any sort of policy, the company declined as Japanese companies arrived on the scene with better TVs. In earlier days there were a few companies if you wanted electronics; then came Panasonic, Toshiba, Sanyo, and a dozen others, and the increased competition caused a lot of companies to lose market share and close factories. This is not liberal, this is free market capitalism, as conservative a policy economically as you can get.

That is why, btw, a TV used to cost so much more than they do now....increased competition means lower prices, that's why people who used to gather round one small black and white TV now have a TV in every room.

JOBS and lack of them are the reason the cities declined, and they declined as we moved from a manufacturing economy to a service economy, an industry with much lower wages. And this happened as a result of free market capitalism. The liberal policies enacted, with welfare, etc may have not had the intended effect (because there are still no jobs where these people live), but they are hardly responsible for the changes in the country and the world that led to it.

Your guy may have promised you the world, I prefer to look at actions. He gave the White House to filthy rich billionaires and Wall Street...look at his cabinet picks, with eyes wide open, read about their careers and you may feel differently about the effects he is going to have on the economy. That said, this is not the political forum and I won;t address it further here.

BTW, if they added a 45%v tariff to imports, you will be paying exactly 45% higher prices in every store you go into from that day forward. So get ready for a bunch of shuttered WalMarts, Targets, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Toys R Us, etc etc etc. You think jobs are scarce now, just wait.
The market will respond to the tarrifs and local producers will spring up, they cant pass on the 45% tarrifs no one will buy it and they will have to start cutting into the dividends for share holders and CEO's which is exactly what we want. If the close up shop and only want to do business over seas so be it, put them on a list and have them thrown in a camp if they ever come back.

Everyone thinks they will just tack the tarrif onto the price but that's not reality and BTW I am not a free market globalist capitalist and I don't think a lot of americans are anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:15 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If I had been single, I would have told her that it would take a lot more money that that for me to ever have sex with her. I figure that I am worth at least a $1,000 for a 30 minute session and that is if the girl looks much better. I have my standards you know.
I'm ashamed to admit, if I was the horn dog I was in college and then my years in the Army, I would have been all over that (all 32 seconds of course).

Old 02-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:

This has nothing to do with liberalism. One of my favorite cities, Houston, has more homeless than I have ever seen anyplace I have ever been, including Atlantic City, and Houston is far from liberal.

are you kidding?

Quote:
The country's most populous swing county turned a shade bluer Tuesday, when Hillary Clinton trounced Donald Trump in Harris County despite trailing nationally.

Clinton's commanding victory here is a watershed moment for local Democrats who have struggled mightily to translate recent demographic shifts into gains at the ballot box.
Democrats turn Harris County a darker shade of blue - Houston Chronicle

Harris County is as blue as blue gets now. So it's not surprising to me it's become a den for homeless filth.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 AM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
are you kidding?

Democrats turn Harris County a darker shade of blue - Houston Chronicle

Harris County is as blue as blue gets now. So it's not surprising to me it's become a den for homeless filth.
This was about 10 years ago when I was living there. One or two changes of administration would not change the city's landscape to this degree in any case, sorry. I maintain, any problems Houston has, it cannot be laid at the feet of a history of liberal politics.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
This was about 10 years ago when I was living there. One or two changes of administration would not change the city's landscape to this degree in any case, sorry. I maintain, any problems Houston has, it cannot be laid at the feet of a history of liberal politics.
It may not be because of liberal policies, but you certainly can't make the claim that "Harris County" isn't blue. That's a false claim because Harris County is indeed blue and has been since Obama's first election (nearly 10 years ago).

Old 02-28-2017, 03:06 PM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
It may not be because of liberal policies, but you certainly can't make the claim that "Harris County" isn't blue. That's a false claim because Harris County is indeed blue and has been since Obama's first election (nearly 10 years ago).
Again, they were already there then. It was that long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage