Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Anchorage really this bad?
Yes, unfortunately this is the reality of what the city has become. 22 36.07%
No, you only saw a bad glimpse of an otherwise great and clean city. 7 11.48%
It's a mixture depending on where you are. 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:30 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
You'd think if you're homeless you would travel away from Alaska to somewhere, idk, warmer?
That's what was shocking to me. They were everywhere. Even near the outside of the city, in the morning I'd see huge amounts of wood fire smoke and I wondered where it was coming from. It was actually coming from homeless camps outside the city on hiking trails where dozens of homeless would be tenting up around a fire. It's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 09:30 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I don't really believe your post to be honest. Having lived in Alaska and San Francisco, you cannot even compare the amount of homeless or the type of homeless between the two areas. It doesn't even come close, which tells me this is likely a troll post.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't really believe your post to be honest. Having lived in Alaska and San Francisco, you cannot even compare the amount of homeless or the type of homeless between the two areas. It doesn't even come close, which tells me this is likely a troll post.
You don't have to believe me but you'd be wrong. I found this HUD report that shows Alaska is 10th in the nation for homelessness per capita.

A Look at Homelessness in Alaska | Alaska Justice Forum

So no, it's not San Francisco (and I never said it was, I said it was "resembling" Market St, so not sure why you're lying about that), but this HUD report confirms my suspicions about how bad the problem is in Alaska.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:50 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
I haven't been to Anchorage in 7 or 8 years, but I shared much of the OP's initial impression of the city.

Some of that has to do with expectations. Anchorage itself is disappointing. There is a noticeable homeless problem, and the built-environment is pretty crappy overall. The surrounding countryside is beautiful, though.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
I haven't been to Anchorage in 7 or 8 years, but I shared much of the OP's initial impression of the city.

Some of that has to do with expectations. Anchorage itself is disappointing. There is a noticeable homeless problem, and the built-environment is pretty crappy overall. The surrounding countryside is beautiful, though.
I think that's what happened to me too. I flew in expecting this majestic, nature filled tundra, northern lights, etc.

Then I was greeted by bar fights, and hobos strolling around town drunk off their ass. Again, before natives get butt hurt, I don't think what I saw is completely representative of the city (or state) but it does seem to be a problem.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
[vimeo]90808805[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/90808805

Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
[vimeo]90808805[/vimeo]
[vimeo]90808805[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/90808805

For anyone, like bmw335 who is doubting what I'm saying, take a look at that video. It shows exactly what I saw when I was walking through Anchorage.

Thanks Pretzelogik!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:30 AM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
I agree that first impressions of Anchorage are usually disappointing. Much of the infrastructure is ugly, and there are lots of poor choices and human misery on display. The grungy appearance of the roads and general darkness this time of year can strongly enhance these impressions, however. Alaska is a grim place in November -- you have to have expected that.

Some specifics:

I've never seen a bar fight in Anchorage, despite spending a lot of time at heavy metal and punk concerts in disreputable dive bars for the last 10 years. Sucks that was your first impression though.

I've never been solicited for prostitution in Anchorage. Although to be fair, I've experienced some very sad and cringe-y alcohol soaked flirting a few times... Anyway, it sounds like the bar you were at was a real s*** hole. There are higher quality establishments downtown that will give a better experience -- though the beer will likely cost $6.

There is undoubtedly a homeless problem in Anchorage, along with probably a mental illness problem, alcohol problem, and maybe drug addiction too, though I don't know how that compares with other places.

I wouldn't describe Anchorage as a stereotypical liberal hell-hole, largely because the problems it faces have different sources than the west coast ghettos, and the attitudes of the residents tend to be very different. Though yes, it's very diverse, and downtown and midtown vote democrat, if that's what you're getting at.

All in all, I enjoy fairly frequent visits to Anchorage (my wife's family is there), but that's probably because I know what I like about the place, and have gotten good at ignoring the rest. I would never live there. The closest I would even consider would be Palmer up in the Mat Valley, or Girdwood, along Turnagain Arm.

For your next trip, May is alright (late is way better than early), but push it back to June or July if you can. And get out of Anchorage!

Also, nothing the OP said was over the top political or racist. CD posters seem a little wound up these days... It's cold and dark, I guess.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:38 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Anchorage is a turd. It is dirty and grimy and has a homeless problem. It's full of shysters, drug addicts, drunks, oil $ chasing texans and other various misfits who couldn't handle it in real Alaska. This is all common knowledge and Anchorage will continue to stay grimy for the foreseeable future. It's only saving grace it's that's it's pretty close to Alaska.

I unfortunately had to spend a few days in Anchorage this past summer playing tourist with a family memeber who flew up. Before that, I've only ever utilized the airport or quickly driven through. I'm not a fan of any city that size but it really isn't all that bad. Most, if not all, cities that size will have all the issues that you mention. I never felt unsafe there but I also don't patronize bars with active physical fights taking place outside. Another personal rule of thumb for me is if a prostitute offers me sex for $20 at a bar, then I am probably at the wrong bar.

Anyways, I would probably move from Alaska if I was forced to live in Anchorage. I would consider trying it for a year if I was making $100k+ and got to live in one of those condos right by downtown on the water where I could walk everywhere. If I was forced to scrape by at a s****y job and pay overpriced rent on some rundown triplex housing situation and competing with the masses, I'd be leaving ASAP.

I know where you're coming from though. When you've never been to Alaska, you get a mental image in your head of how pretty/pristine it will be. The realities of Anchorage, and Fairbanks for that matter, are grim and disappointing if you have high expectations.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:45 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post

Also, nothing the OP said was over the top political or racist. .
Questioning if Anchorage was a "liberal hell hole" was stupid and uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage