Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Anchorage really this bad?
Yes, unfortunately this is the reality of what the city has become. 22 36.07%
No, you only saw a bad glimpse of an otherwise great and clean city. 7 11.48%
It's a mixture depending on where you are. 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 02:49 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,995,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think Anchorage (or at least big swathes of it) are pretty unpleasant, either they're jacked up, or because they're smarmy suburban sprawl. But this is a lot of melodrama for one rough night out in a rough part of town, like, I came to a dive bar looking for the northern lights over the tundra and instead I found sad drunks
That's true, I did have some misconceptions about Anchorage, I just didn't realize it was going to be Skid Row on the Tundra.

Sorry for the high expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 05:20 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,127,661 times
Anchorage is a clash of growth and standstill. The culture in crisis in the Native as they want to remain in their cultural heritage and that creates a clash for native men and women unable to access the same opportunities. The native culture wants to retain as much heritage as they can (who can blame them) but it leaves doors to the outside world barely open. This leads to alcoholism high unemployment and crime.

The bridge to the caucasian culture is a weak link as the native remains suspicious of anything outside. Despite plenty of funding, the growth which would assuage this dynamic is not motivated and accomplishments are set aside just for them. This "special" treatment is evident and leads to either success or failure and very little in between.

Put into the middle of this is Anchorage. A city with many opportunities and communities. So you see the very good (fine restaurants excellent schools) and also you see the failure of alcoholism, stagnation and lack of opportunity. I did not see many fights but the downtown after dark was clearly seedy. Nordstrom and staggering drunks.

That said I had many good times in town with friends and family. At the edge of the United States Anchorage is a frontier town still finding it's way. But for freedom of ones person and the ability to do your own thing....you can't beat it imho.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:06 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,830,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
That's partially my fault. Before I flew in, I spent too much time on youtube watching videos of people in Alaska salmon fishing, Katmai National Park, and some other stuff on the travel channel (which tends to air very positive and nice looking content).

I love Yellowstone National Park.

But I'm smart enough not to fault Cheyenne for lacking geysers and herds of bison.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:42 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,706,337 times
What you see in Anchorage when you're not hanging out downtown.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:19 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,926,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
What you see in Anchorage when you're not hanging out downtown.
Nice looking bull. Looks like what the OP wanted to see but decided to go to a bar instead and then complain about it. He chose the wild life over wildlife...

Old 12-07-2016, 07:28 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,563,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I wasn't making a racist assumption, these guys were tatted up, and dressed the part, and had the mannerisms. As someone who has lived in Los Angeles, and New York, I think I know a LITTLE about what I'm talking about. If it were a bunch of white guys I'd think the same thing. So I'm not sure why you thought to bring up the typical lefty race card.

The reason I visited Anchorage is because my friend lives on the outskirts of the city (which was nice). But the actual city seemed like it suffered from large amounts of homelessness, and substance abusers. Judging by the poll, it seems people who live there agree with me.

I just think it's sad that with so much natural beauty surrounding the area, the actual city of Anchorage resembles skid row in Los Angeles. You actually live there, don't you think that's kind of ridiculous and sad?
Yeah the centre of Anchorage sucks big time. It's a typical American city unfortunately.

The southern areas are nice though. I was fortunate enough to live in the best parts of town (De Armoun Rd and the University area) a few years ago. I wouldn't live in Anchorage again, although not for reasons related to your first post.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:15 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,706,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Nice looking bull. Looks like what the OP wanted to see but decided to go to a bar instead and then complain about it. He chose the wild life over wildlife...
I took that pic in Kincaid Park. You can almost see downtown from there. I'd post up my bear pics if they weren't so blurry. Them things kinda catch ya by surprise over there.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:54 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,926,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I took that pic in Kincaid Park. You can almost see downtown from there. I'd post up my bear pics if they weren't so blurry. Them things kinda catch ya by surprise over there.
Yup. I'm up there almost daily in the fall. Watched 3 bulls interact in the field across from the old FCC building last month. The sheep rut is coming to an end shortly and I've been down at Windy Point watching the rams butt heads and go after the ewes lately.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:01 PM

863 posts, read 2,080,191 times
: smack:

I think I need a break from the internet after reading this thread. And it's not because of the OP.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 PM

863 posts, read 2,080,191 times
Well... Mostly not because of the OP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage