Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 01:10 PM

45 posts, read 170,512 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I was up in Alaska last summer and fall commercial fishing, fell in love with it, and I'm coming back, for good. I am fishing again this year, and will use that money to start myself out in Anchorage, which is where I want to live. I spent a couple weeks in town, and drove it enough to become somewhat familiar with it.

One difference, compared to other cities I've lived, is that the actual downtown area, where the taller buildings are, seems to be mostly commercial and not much (if any) residential, like apartments.

My question is, where are "nicer" areas to live. I've heard good things about the Jewel Lake area, and Midtown. And I've heard to stay away from Spenard and Muldoon. So what do you suggest?

I graduated from college and have a bachelors, so I hope to be making okay money... I hardly expect to be a millionaire. I anticipate working in the city, so I don't want to live too far away. Hope, Seward, Healy... those are too far away for what I prefer. Eagle River, the Mat-su area are alright, but I'd still prefer Ancorage proper.

So, tell me about your neighboorhoods (sp?) and what you like or don't like about them, and, if you don't mind, approximate rent costs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 05:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
You heard right about the Spenard and Muldoon areas in Anchorage, they are indeed places you want to avoid. Also add Mountain View and Fairview to the areas you don't want to live in. See Anchorage Areas - Defined: //www.city-data.com/forum/3055553-post6.html

Midtown is nice and central, close to the malls and all variety of shopping. Too close to Fairview and Spenard for my tastes, and lots of traffic to deal with. Jewel Lake is west of the midtown area, just south of the Anchorage International Airport. Jewel Lake is in the Sand Lake Area of Anchorage and has some very nice properties. Other areas to consider are Hillside, Oceanview, Rabbit Creek, and the University Area. All have relatively high property values and low crime rates.

Eagle River is a nice community that is only a 15 to 20 minute drive from downtown Anchorage. It is slightly more expensive than the other areas that I mentioned above, and also enjoys a lower crime rate than Anchorage.

Unless you intend to buy property, I wouldn't consider living in the Mat-Su Valley. The rents are only slightly lower than Anchorage, and it is a solid hour drive from Wasilla/Palmer into Anchorage under perfect conditions.

Property is considerably cheaper than Anchorage in the Valley, which is why people are attracted to the area. For what a 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom home would cost you in Anchorage on a quarter acre, you can buy the samething in the Valley on an acre and pay $50K less. That extra $50K makes the drive into Anchorage on a daily basis worth the extra effort.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 PM

26 posts, read 81,120 times
I live in South Anchorage (Raspberry and Jewel Lake area) and it's pretty nice. Not too much traffic and I feel safe walking around by myself.

I'd stay away from the 15th and Gambell area as well as Spenard, Muldoon, and Mountain View.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,463 times
I've lived in every part of Anchorage, none of them are that "bad". No matter where you live in Anchorage there will be parts of the neighborhood that aren't so nice. The only parts of Anchorage I would say are "bad" would be north mountain view and east fairview. Fairview was the worst.

Muldoon is not bad, there is actually some very nice neighborhoods in Muldoon.

Jewel Lake is generally nice, but the area right near dimond high school leaves a bit to be desired.

Spenard was one of my favorite parts to live, because there is so much to do within walking distance. On the other hand some parts of spenard are party zones and the area in general is pretty loud on friday and saturday nights.

Bootleggers cove is next to downtown and is great and very expensive. West fairview is decent and close to downtown.

South mountain view is just like any other neighborhood, income's are probably a little lower but most of the crime is on the north side.

The hillside has the highest average income. That's where I grew up but it's changed so much since then, I can't really say. I wouldn't want to live there now.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:15 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Lake Otis anyone?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
I live off of Dimond about 2 blocks from Dimond HS, and my area is great in the Sand Lake/Jewel Lake area.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Lake Otis anyone?
I used to live just off Lake Otis, near Tudor. Not a bad area. Nothing to write home about, but it is close to a lot of medical clinics and dentists between Tudor and Northernlights. It is a pretty major thoroughfare, but not as much traffic as Minnesota, Northernlights, Tudor, or Muldoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage