U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM

338 posts, read 1,325,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polockm203 View Post
It can be costly, but I know a lot of people get the Alaska Airlines mileage card in order to get free trips down to the lower 48.
Yes, Polockm. One nice thing for ppl going in/out of AK is that as AK Air has expanded their service sites, it provides more opportunities to accumulate the mileage on their program than it did several years ago rather than having to try to transfer miles between different carriers. I know I covered one of my tickets up using miles on AK Airlines and another one on NW Air (Yes - Owl re: ANC/NW Air.)

Q: Has anyone ever redeemed their miles for anything besides flights? If so, what was your experience with that?

I have enough miles to get me to NZ, but w/my pup, I'm not sure I'm going to be flying again for awhile.

Alaska Airlines / Horizon Air - Destinations
This link shows that they are now in 15 states besides D.C., CAN, & MEX - great for those in/out of AK.

And... Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Partners
Looks like they've got quite a list of mileage partners as well
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM

26 posts, read 77,905 times
What's wrong with your pup?

Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,249,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Northwest Airlines flies in & out of ANC as well.
As does United,Continental, American, Delta, US Airways. Frontier comes in seasonally.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 PM

26 posts, read 77,905 times
Yeah, but my experience has been horrible with Frontier. Continental rocks.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 AM

11,839 posts, read 27,642,392 times
Do y'all have air taxis too?

Old 03-06-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polockm203 View Post
What's wrong with your pup?
Nothing besides being a bit well-loved. He's a great pup. I just don't want to put him on a plane, esp. as far as NZ would be.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 AM

45 posts, read 205,441 times
Any other thoughts about the Alaska Airlines mileage card? Is it difficult to redeem miles? Rates and customer service ok? This sounds like a helpful tool to keep costs a bit more managable.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Thumbs up AK Air - Mile Redemption, Cust. Srv, & Bonus Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cats1 View Post
Any other thoughts about the Alaska Airlines mileage card? Is it difficult to redeem miles? Rates and customer service ok? This sounds like a helpful tool to keep costs a bit more managable.
Re: Mileage Redemption:
When I redeemed my miles to fly with AK Air, I had no problems whatsoever. In fact, they actually helped me to almost create two tickets from one. I told the AK Air agent my traveling needs to fly in/out of AK between two locations & to spend some time in SE AK in the process.

She accommodated me by ticketing me to fly from L48 to SE AK, & after a short-term stay (about a week), to fly one-way from SE AK to ANC, then return to L48 from ANC. It was like a circle trip with a layover. I've been able to do one or the other in the past on airlines but not both on one redemption or single fare. Generally, I would have had to buy another 1-way ticket from SE AK to ANC but didn't even have to pay any add'l fees to do so.

Re: Customer Service.
From four round-trips flying in/out of AK from L48 using AK Air, I found only helpful & friendly customer service. I've additionally flown using NW & had no problems with them on the AK portion - only security inconveniences in the L48. I've used NW for many years due to logistics (only accessible airline for awhile), but if I had to make a choice, I'd choose AK Air and glad to see them expanding.

While in AK, one of my guests also flew to/from L48 using AK Air and spoke very highly regarding his flight & AK Air's service.

Within AK, I also had no problems using AK Air and found some incredible fares using their web specials link (located under "Deals" on their Home page toolbar):

Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air Web Specials

Bonus Miles:
If you are just signing up, make the most of their new members program to earn as many miles upfront as possible (e.g., signing up for their CC before you purchase your ticket). Enjoy!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,255,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cats1 View Post
If your willing to take the red eye flights you shouldn't have any trouble, it is difficult to plan a trip with reasonable departure time leaving Alaska and don't let anybody fool you. Their customer service has always been on the upper end of customer service and now that you can book your award tickets online that really helps. I've taken numerous flights from Anchorage to Reno and to Medford Oregon, for both locations if I tried to take a flight that is not at the crack of dawn then I would have upwards of an 8-10 hour layover in Seattle. If I was to purchase a ticket leave at the same time I would only have 1 hour layover. The milage plan is a great idea but unless your willing to plan for peak mileage their schedule sucks.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 PM

Thumbs up Redeeming Air Miles - Scheduling & Layovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
If your willing to take the red eye flights you shouldn't have any trouble, ...an 8-10 hour layover in Seattle.
Yes - I'd taken the red eye at least once, maybe twice. It didn't bother me bc I'm a night owl anyway. The only thing I didn't really like about it was sitting in SEA-TAC that late before they finished some of their current renovation. It was pretty desolate, and there was nothing open except a hot dog stand to get something to eat. But I think at that point, I might have been on NW. That also reminds me, the more stops you are willing to make (v. a direct flight), the easier it would be to get a flight.

I never had more than a 5-6 hour layover, but of course it's different from wherever you fly. I've alway take a good book to read, snacks, and a small blanket (like a traveling one similar to airline ones). I found it could get a little chilly on the vinyl seating sitting for too long. It was nicer when you could leave your junk in a locker. Then I'd just do laps in the airport, but now that's a non-option.

I did try to do laps the last time I flew (not in AK) rolling my flight bag behind me. I just kept going round and round the terminal end where everyone was seated. I was trying to pace myself to get my heart rate up as best as possible in a skirt and tall boots, so I began watching the clock to see how many minutes I was doing per round. Even in my prissy boots I was making pretty good timing!

But... I think it made airport security a little nervous! Ha. As I was making my last 2 - 3 rounds, three security folks came and positioned themselves at different areas of the modular, on walkie talkies all watching me - esp. when I looked up at the clock! They must've thought I had a bomb or something in my little carry-on! Once I got to my last lap, I slowed down for a one-lap walk, then let go of my roller bag. Two of them immediately left - again looking my way. The third one came and stood in our area until we boarded the plane.

Moral of the story: if you're going to do laps in the airport, have somebody else you know keep your bag, throw on a pair of joggers, and don't keep looking at the clock!

Quote:
If I was to purchase a ticket leave at the same time I would only have 1 hour layover.
Were you factoring in the time change here? I didn't quite follow this one.

Quote:
The milage plan is a great idea but unless your willing to plan for peak mileage their schedule sucks.
I traveled the middle and end of May on mine without a problem. During high season there would be more difficulty in getting a ticket, but if you can set the date "in ink", then I think you can book up to a year in-advance (or used to be able to). If you do that, then it doesn't seem you'd have too many problems with scheduling. It be also harder if you were traveling with a family bc you'd need more seats, esp. if you all want to sit somewhat together. But again, AK Air's customer service has always served myself and/or friends well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage