U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2017, 06:57 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,198 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

So I'm contemplating on potentially moving to Anchorage Alaska in a couple of months. I'm 28, single, never married, no dependents and I have a little over $12,000 in an emergency fund to play with if I decide the move. Zero debt, and I just finished up my 6 year enlistment in the USAF and departed with an Honorable Discharge. Regretfully I do not have an AA or BA. I usually take a few classes per year but I pay for tuition in full so I never go in debt (basically 4 courses away from an AA in psychology).

Transportation: I own 2 vehicles, a 93' camaro and an 08'Jeep Wrangler- Both payed for. And I would probably sell the 93' camaro because it sucks in snow (RWD with zero weight in the back).

So a few questions are, how is the job market in Anchorage? How difficult is it to find a job that pays for $25,000+ per year (to scrape by)? And, any pros-cons of this potential move decision? I've been crashing at a relatives place since I got out of the military and I'm looking at Alaska for a potential long term move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,770 posts, read 5,072,529 times
Reputation: 2463
You won't scrape by on $25,000 a year... If living in Anchorage, the rent alone will be over half of that in a real crappy apartment.
Our economy is in pretty rough shape right now... Having no debt and some cashed saved up is a good start, but make sure and keep enough set aside for the move out if you don't find work.
You could start with something seasonal: http://www.coolworks.com/alaska-jobs/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,116 posts, read 2,057,487 times
Reputation: 3056
About the degree - bachelors degrees in social sciences are a dime a dozen, let alone associate degrees. Don't count on cashing in on that. You pretty much have to have a doctorate to do anything with a psychology degree (from someone who has a BA, and had to return to school years later to get something that I could earn a living with).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,305 posts, read 13,696,547 times
Reputation: 6219
Go get some education before you come up here. Diesel/gas mechanic/welder or registered nurse(RN) and you can go about anywhere in Alaska and find work. If your going to move up and use your GI Bill benefits to go to school and also work give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Back and Beyond
2,992 posts, read 3,833,209 times
Reputation: 7174
Check out fairbanks. I personally like it better than anchorage. At least then you could rent your very own private dry cabin for ~$500 (or less) a month vs $1000+ for a crappy apartment in Anchorage. UAF is a good school as well. My friend got his A&P cert with helicopters and is making $100k+ up here with all the overtime at 23 years old.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 10:16 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
3 posts, read 5,211 times
Reputation: 15
Unhappy Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
You won't scrape by on $25,000 a year... If living in Anchorage, the rent alone will be over half of that in a real crappy apartment.
Our economy is in pretty rough shape right now... Having no debt and some cashed saved up is a good start, but make sure and keep enough set aside for the move out if you don't find work.
You could start with something seasonal: http://www.coolworks.com/alaska-jobs/

I want to move from New Jersey to Anchorage next month. Here I have a job. When I am reading your common :" Our economy is in pretty rough shape right now........................and also I heard that from Senator women Murkowski last week. When she visit president Trump.................I am a little bit skeptical perhaps should I postpone to move to Anchorage next month. ............................
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
982 posts, read 998,718 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuscommodus View Post
I want to move from New Jersey to Anchorage next month. Here I have a job. When I am reading your common :" Our economy is in pretty rough shape right now........................and also I heard that from Senator women Murkowski last week. When she visit president Trump.................I am a little bit skeptical perhaps should I postpone to move to Anchorage next month. ............................
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 05:16 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3 posts, read 5,211 times
Reputation: 15
Question Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!
I would like !!! But I don't want to get stuck.......................somewhere on the street without job for months.

Otherwise , thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 06:44 AM
 
Location: interior Alaska
6,332 posts, read 4,873,987 times
Reputation: 21066
"Senator women Murkowski"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,852 posts, read 1,389,353 times
Reputation: 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Static View Post
So I'm contemplating on potentially moving to Anchorage Alaska in a couple of months. I'm 28, single, never married, no dependents and I have a little over $12,000 in an emergency fund to play with if I decide the move. Zero debt, and I just finished up my 6 year enlistment in the USAF and departed with an Honorable Discharge. Regretfully I do not have an AA or BA. I usually take a few classes per year but I pay for tuition in full so I never go in debt (basically 4 courses away from an AA in psychology).

Transportation: I own 2 vehicles, a 93' camaro and an 08'Jeep Wrangler- Both payed for. And I would probably sell the 93' camaro because it sucks in snow (RWD with zero weight in the back).

So a few questions are, how is the job market in Anchorage? How difficult is it to find a job that pays for $25,000+ per year (to scrape by)? And, any pros-cons of this potential move decision? I've been crashing at a relatives place since I got out of the military and I'm looking at Alaska for a potential long term move.
Depending on what Security Level you have (S/TS/TSSCI) you could go to work as a contractor for DoD...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top