U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 PM

38 posts, read 50,276 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We've recently arrived in Anchorage and have been searching for a home in the S. Anchorage area and Eagle River area. We tend to buy in communities with HOA's as it is easier for our kids to adapt (meeting other children in the neighborhood, etc.). We like both areas, but because our hotel is in Anchorage, I haven't met a lot of people with children in Eagle River.

If you have a child at Alpenglow or Homestead, what is this school like? I've reviewed the surveys from the school district but was looking for more information on homework, learning environment, etc.

Does anyone live in Eagle Woods? Input on street plowing, HOA, etc.? Do a lot of residents use the lighted trails?

I've found S. Anchorage to be close to doctors, kids activities (kids music, gymnastics, etc.). It seems Eagle River has these as well, but I was hoping to hear from parents in the area.

Thank you in advance for any information!

Nicole
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 12:39 PM

Default S. Anchorage

Also, if anyone does live in S. Anchorage, it'd be great to hear about that as well (community/subdivision, schools, anything else you found useful

Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,130,728 times
What in the world does an HOA have to do with the presence of children in the neighborhood?

I lived in the same house in Eagle for 21 years(recently moved away) in a neighborhood without a stinking HOA. Had great neighbors in a great neighborhood, there were plenty of kids about, watched many grow up and move on, saw new families move in and out.

HOA = Kids? Please, explain.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:38 PM

7,449 posts, read 6,452,283 times
HOAs usually mean stupid rules and nazi wanna be's. One HOA in Eagle river won't let you put out your trash can the night before. Can't go out before 4am on trash day. Give me an HOA free neighborhood any day.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,683,091 times
HOA's are of the devil!

Old 03-13-2017, 10:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,862,708 times
Meh. HOAs are the devil until your neighbor turns their house into a rainbow colored house and their yard into a junk yard. Lol

Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 PM

Lol. I'm realizing that I probably worded my previously post incorrectly-- I meant a pre-planned subdivision or community with one builders or builders selling homes. It's been my experience that these homes are generally closer together (for better or worse ; ), have sidewalks, community events, etc. Now, we've learned that Anchorage is a bit different in that regard. Our previous community did egg hunts, professional fireworks on the 4th, community festivals, clubhouse get-togethers, etc. I have been warned that certain HOAs within some communities here may be a bit overzealous, so Im trying to get a little more input from locals who've either had positive or negative experiences.

Last edited by nicolecl; 03-13-2017 at 11:39 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 01:13 AM

1,930 posts, read 1,862,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolecl View Post
Lol. I'm realizing that I probably worded my previously post incorrectly-- I meant a pre-planned subdivision or community with one builders or builders selling homes. It's been my experience that these homes are generally closer together (for better or worse ; ), have sidewalks, community events, etc. Now, we've learned that Anchorage is a bit different in that regard. Our previous community did egg hunts, professional fireworks on the 4th, community festivals, clubhouse get-togethers, etc. I have been warned that certain HOAs within some communities here may be a bit overzealous, so Im trying to get a little more input from locals who've either had positive or negative experiences.
I'll stay away from HOA. Our experience with them were terrible in GA. I do understand why they were created, and a good one will have many benefits. But just too many rules.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:48 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,130,728 times
Quote:
Do not expect anything like that in Anchorage, it does not exist. Understand that Anchorage and Alaska in general has a lifestyle all its' own, leave what you know and what you have experienced in your former life with regard to the above, behind you. Even sidewalks are a rarity.

There are events which occur on a annual basis, there are events organized by local churches, there are municipal sanctioned fireworks (fireworks are illegal in the Municipality of Anchorage), though the Elks club does put on a display in Eagle River, then at Fur Rondy there is a display, and the 4th of July the Muni puts on a display. Community club houses... no. Eagle River also has the Bear Paw Festival on an annual basis.

Again, HOAs are the devil, in particular, the HOA in Eagle Wood is pure evil.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:59 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,683,091 times
Quote:
I think you might be bringing your lower 48 expectations to Alaska and trying to replicate them here. That's not realistic. Talk to,people and ask them about what their neighborhoods are like. Forget this HOA foolishness and pre-packaged neighborhood deal. Alaska and even Anchorage are different then the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage