U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,515 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new to this site, but I have a few questions about Alaska (Anchorage to be exact). I currently live in the Minneapolis and potentially have the opportunity to move to Anchorage for a new position.

Initially I was not going to consider the position (because of the weather in AK); however, after looking at several videos and pictures I decided it may just be the place for me. It is breathtakingly beautiful! The average weather temps in the winter were also much milder than I thought they would be.

I am 27 and very active--love distance running and want to learn how to cross country ski.

I guess I would like to hear from anyone that recently moved to Anchorage from the lower 48. What were the biggest challenges/hurdles? Any advice for me?

Thank you so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 04:36 PM

15,599 posts, read 37,085,007 times
Anchorage will seem tiny coming from the twin cities. In reality the weather is no colder here than there. Justs lasts a little longert. Being more humid down there...it just might feel warmer! The scenery is awesome, and there is a nice little ski resort about 30 miles down the road. If you have an inside job...you should be fine.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:53 PM

75 posts, read 439,985 times
Anchorage is supposed to be one of the best, if not the best, towns in the US for xc skiing. Apparently there are tons of trails (which are hiking/running trails in the summer) right inside the town limits.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:39 PM

15,599 posts, read 37,085,007 times
Yes...and you get to dodge moose on the trails...right in the city! Many places outside of Anch also. Many mountain trails.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,082,695 times
Hi Rance! As for me so I believe there are three best citys in the world where I was : St.-Petersburg, Paris and Anchorage. I had been in Anchorage once few years ago and I had liked it very much. I'd love to live there if I have any chance ... .

Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 AM

5,963 posts, read 11,432,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Hi Rance! As for me so I believe there are three best citys in the world where I was : St.-Petersburg, Paris and Anchorage. I had been in Anchorage once few years ago and I had liked it very much. I'd love to live there if I have any chance ... .

Come on over Lyuty. There are alot of Russians on KGB (Knik Goose Bay area) in Wasilla. They joke that they left the KGB and are now living on a road called that. LOL.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Come on over Lyuty. There are alot of Russians on KGB (Knik Goose Bay area) in Wasilla. They joke that they left the KGB and are now living on a road called that. LOL.
Good joke But I think it's impossible. First of all my age is not that to make such global change of the life. Secondly, I have too good work in Chukotka, Russia in order to abandon it. Thirdly ... etc. and etc. ... .
As for to visit Anchorage again so it's need thinking

Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM

6,992 posts, read 11,404,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Good joke But I think it's impossible. First of all my age is not that to make such global change of the life. Secondly, I have too good work in Chukotka, Russia in order to abandon it. Thirdly ... etc. and etc. ... .
As for to visit Anchorage again so it's need thinking
age smage!!! not the issue.....age is not is not the issue....at first thought I would have said crap excuse but...leaving on country to another is problematic....state to state here is not such a big deal...it is all a mind set...we are uprooting at 56 and starting over in another state on the other side of the continent...I would have gone to a foreign country but hubby is much more "reserved" than I...not big on change so New England to Alaska is as much as I can push for right now!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
age smage!!! not the issue.....age is not is not the issue....at first thought I would have said crap excuse but...leaving on country to another is problematic....state to state here is not such a big deal...it is all a mind set...we are uprooting at 56 and starting over in another state on the other side of the continent...I would have gone to a foreign country but hubby is much more "reserved" than I...not big on change so New England to Alaska is as much as I can push for right now!!!
Agreed. You are right saing that leaving on country to another is problematic and as for state to state here is not such a big deal...

Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,196,699 times
I can understand what Lyuty is saying though, it can be hard to leave loved ones and friends when you are older and go to another part of the world. Yes it is an adventure but it can have sad moments even if you don't expect that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage