Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 10:08 AM

76 posts, read 94,719 times

Advertisements

Folks,
My wife and I were born and raised in the mid-west and now relocated to the Pacific NW. For our 35th wedding anniversary we have decided to try and fly up to Anchorage for a Fri-Mon trip the end of October.
I would appreciate thoughts on what to see and do and where to eat a nice dinner. I am also wondering the weather and such so we know how to pack. As retired military we may try to stay on base.
Thank you all for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 11:43 AM

2,792 posts, read 5,571,468 times
In addition to any advice you receive here, you might also do some research on the TripAdvisor forum for Alaska travel: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...49-Alaska.html
You are coming well after the summer visitor season and before many of the winter activities start, although you probably will encounter winter weather.
Are you renting a car? You'll be pretty limited without one.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,157 times
Depending on your budget and taste I recommend Kriners Diner. When it comes to site seeing, this is a good time of year to see some amazing fall colors.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:49 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,588,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907Bob View Post
Depending on your budget and taste I recommend Kriners Diner. When it comes to site seeing, this is a good time of year to see some amazing fall colors.
Um, the amazing fall colors are going on right now. By the end of October Anchorage will be brown, dark, and chilly.

The OP will be able to find a good place to eat. There is another thread on here on just that topic.

As for what to do, that's a bit harder for a good answer for that time period. If you like to hike there are still plenty of opportunities for doing that. If there is any snow it won't be enough for skiing or snowmobiling. If you are a diehard fisherman you could try steelhead fishing down on the Kenai, but just about any other type of fishing won't be available.

It would be helpful to know what your plans are for lodging and transportation, as well as, expectations and desires for the trip.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:03 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,982,757 times
I would forget Anchorage and stay at the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood. Double Musky, Jack Spratts stay in town and keep off the icy roads.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:05 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,982,757 times
Alaska Vacations, Restaurants and Accommodation | Alyeska Resort

jack sprat | Fat & Lean World Cuisine

Old 10-01-2017, 11:13 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,146,435 times
Kind of a strange time to visit Alaska. Fall is kind of over. Winter ain't quite here. It's that transitional time.

As far as fall colors, though I love Alaska's fall, it doesn't compare to many lower 48 fall views with colors.

What are you wanting to do OP?

Old 10-04-2017, 06:05 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,901,841 times
Some summer stuff at this site but much can be done late fall, winter.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ge-alaska.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: