Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,903 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I was recently offered a position in Anchorage. It is a good opportunity for me and decided to take it. My husband will, of course, be moving with me, however, we were wondering the difficulty in finding a plumbing position in Anchorage. He has been plumbing in CA and AZ for over 10 years and is very skilled. My position will be sufficient in supporting us both and we have savings set aside as well so we are not concerned about that. We just want to get a "feel" for the job market with skilled labor.

I also wanted to ask about where to live, what are the areas like or where we should stay away from. I was told to look at bootleggers cove and wanted to get other ideas. And any other tips about coming to Alaska are welcomed!

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 12:36 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Any skilled plumber, especially one from CA with all the latest and greatest strict codes there, should have no trouble finding employment in a populated place like Anchorage. Better yet if he could start his own business up here. A good plumber is almost always in demand and harder to find these days.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times
If he can show up on time, consistently, and sober, he should be able to find a job. I have a friend in that business and he said they have a hard time finding good, reliable employees.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Bootlegger's Cove is nice, but it's very expensive. Is your income going to be at least $250,000 a year?

Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Any skilled plumber, especially one from CA with all the latest and greatest strict codes there, should have no trouble finding employment in a populated place like Anchorage. Better yet if he could start his own business up here. A good plumber is almost always in demand and harder to find these days.

Good luck.
You sure about that, lay offs are rampant, I am surprised that the OP even got an offer to come here. If I were you I would rent some cheap place for 6 months or a year and see how it goes. I know for me and my family we are hunkering down, everything that happens in our house I do myself and order parts online.

There may be some fab shops doing something but I would not agree with traveler that you can just show up and get a plumber job. Your offer may have been an anomaly but Alaska has one of worst economies in the nation right now with double digit unemployment.

Starting your own business is not a cake walk and I think it is highly unfortunate that people make light of the realities of what it takes to actually do that. I think starting your own business is great but its a huge under taking and he would have to have at least somewhat of a shop set up to do it. That is the biggest barrier to entry is a place to set up shop, your not going to do that in a wiedner apartment.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Bootlegger's Cove is nice, but it's very expensive. Is your income going to be at least $250,000 a year?
LOL yea totallly, boot leggers cove, are people on meth on here. I need a new mentor if making 250k a year is some trivial issue.

I live in mid town and I am unemployed looking hard for work. I have spent my entire life dedicated to engineering and machining/aviation and I have not been able to waltz onto a job making 250k a year.

Since we are all living in a fantasy land lets all move to Boston proper or the back bay lol, free and clear.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
There has always been a demand for plumbers in Anchorage through all the booms and bust cycles.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:28 AM

459 posts, read 586,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
There has always been a demand for plumbers in Anchorage through all the booms and bust cycles.
What do you base that "assumption" on?

Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Plumber: commercial work or residential? How much experience does he have with hydronic systems (glycol)?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Plumber: commercial work or residential? How much experience does he have with hydronic systems (glycol)?
There will always be some penny anty stuff going on, but how many plumbers are out there that you have to bid against to get 1 days worth of work. What kind of bill rates are they getting, etc.

Just because there is "demand" does not mean the work is steady or that the pay is good. IF the wife makes enough to pay the real bills and he just needs to do plumbing to pay for beer and car parts then its a good gig but I would NOT rely on some "business" doing penny anty gig work to keep a roof over my head or heat, etc. Especially not with the cost of real estate in Anchorage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: