Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 03:50 PM

92 posts, read 93,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleLover123 View Post
It is a serious question and turtles mean everything to me so yes I would move to Alaska if they had turtles but sense it seems like they don’t really have any I will not move there
My friend's son has one in a terrarium in his bedroom. does that count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 11:13 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,793,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
It's these people that want to bring their pets and things that they are used to that ruin Alaska life. We have many invasive plants that people have brought with them from the lower 48. Lets talk about the idiots that decided it was fun to catch pike and introduced them to South Central lakes and rivers because they are "fun to catch". Supposedly there are no rats in Anchorage but there are a lot of them kept as pets, so it is just a matter of time! There are many other things that people don't think about that will eventually change life in Alaska as we know it. WE DON'T WANT YOUR TURTLES IN ALASKA!!
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but objectively, domesticated cats belong on that list, too. There are probably thousands of roaming cats for every one roaming turtle.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:29 PM

26,480 posts, read 36,312,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but objectively, domesticated cats belong on that list, too. There are probably thousands of roaming cats for every one roaming turtle.
True, especially given the absolute lack of responsibility the average Alaskan seems to have toward domestic pets. My property is a popular dumping ground for those who can't seem to put it together that those cute little kittens that make such tempting toys grow up to be cats who aren't so cute.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

Yes, I should have added them!!

Old 06-12-2018, 04:49 PM

67 posts, read 166,212 times
Maybe the OP has an interest in studying turtles or goes turtle watching as a hobby. Idk just saying. I know people who choose to live in tropical climates because they like going scuba diving (and seeing the fish, coral, etc.) on a regular basis.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,173,562 times
Or maybe he is a post turtle.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 PM

67 posts, read 166,212 times
Lol!

Old 06-14-2018, 11:43 AM

88 posts, read 85,675 times
OP - if you want to base your choice of home on the area's turtle population - I've seen many, many turtles in and near the Catskill Mountains of New York State. More different species than I can count -- including lots of snappers! This is the time of year that the turtles here tend to be on the move.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:06 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,321,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Turtle pet owners get orders to move and "set their turtles free" in local lakes and rivers and some may actually be able to make a go at it, at least for a while.
Several years ago, an alligator was caught in the Virgin River north of Las Vegas. It was apparently brought in a shoebox in 1987 as a gift to someone from a relative traveling from the south. How the animal managed to survive on the sparse wildlife in the desert (none of it very big) is a mystery. Although severely underweight for his age, the gator was alive and otherwise in good health. I saw this animal during a visit to a reptile sanctuary near Phoenix where it now lives, and it is closer to normal weight now.

https://www.standard.net/lifestyle/r...e98e3488.html]ATV Adventures: Cactus and alligator stories on a ride in the Mojave Desert[/url]

Old 06-14-2019, 04:45 PM

10,227 posts, read 13,733,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
It's these people that want to bring their pets and things that they are used to that ruin Alaska life. We have many invasive plants that people have brought with them from the lower 48. Lets talk about the idiots that decided it was fun to catch pike and introduced them to South Central lakes and rivers because they are "fun to catch". Supposedly there are no rats in Anchorage but there are a lot of them kept as pets, so it is just a matter of time! There are many other things that people don't think about that will eventually change life in Alaska as we know it. WE DON'T WANT YOUR TURTLES IN ALASKA!!
Because a cold blooded reptile is going to thrive in Alaska? Read a science book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage