U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,590,523 times

Advertisements

Is it really as bad there as this article states? https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crim...eting-in-2018/

The article states property crime and vehicle theft is at an all time high and rising. 300+ average cars in a single month being stolen in such a small city? That's quite the number. Supposedly fueled by high quality meth and heroin addictions.

Is there any fixing this? Or is anchorage doomed to be a crime ridden cesspool? Is anyone proposing any fixes? I say end the PFD and then offer "free" one way tickets out, on the condition you can never return. At least that's something. Or is anchorage just planning on this continuing definitely with no plan to fix it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 10:29 PM

22,650 posts, read 30,738,970 times
The -48 doesn't want Alaska's trash, and any politician who so much as looks at the precious check the wrong way won't see another term in office, and they all know it. It's your problem to fix, which won't happen, so yeah, it's doomed. Tough ****.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-01-2018 at 10:40 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The -48 doesn't want Alaska's trash, and any politician who so much as looks at the precious check the wrong way won't see another term in office, and they all know it. It's your problem to fix, which won't happen, so yeah, it's doomed. Tough ****.
Bill Walker at least took half of the PFD, but you're right, it's not looking favorable for him for re-election for that among other reasons. Would ending the PFD help even help anything? Surely anchorage doesn't want 30+ car thefts a day to continue long term. Is this the new normal? Any other suggestions of what could be done to stop it?

The silly part of the PFD being untouchable is that we will all soon be paying some sort of taxes to the state, while still receiving a dividend in return, seems like an unnecessary transfer of funds on both ends....

Anyways, car thieves being able to roam free and steal while receiving PFD's and benefits doesn't seem to be working out well down there. The latest ADN articles are not painting a pretty picture of Anchorage by any means.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:45 AM

Idk, you're the one who suggested ending the PFD and shipping your problems somewhere else, not me. All I'm saying is that you can keep them.

Quote:
we will all soon be paying some sort of taxes to the state,
It's about time. Since they doubled my fisheries taxes after oil tanked, nothing would tickle me pinker than to see the average "fiercely independent" *cough* Alaskan actually contribute something to the society in which they live instead of standing around with their palms outstretched and a self-entitled look on their faces. Of course, Alaska's population is so tiny that an income tax wouldn't even qualify as a drop in a bucket, so y'all are pretty much screwed no matter what.

Quote:
Any other suggestions of what could be done to stop it?
Not my circus (those of us in the seafood industry in SE are closer culturally and economically to Seattle and don't give a rat's ass about Anchorage), but SB91 reform might be a start. I don't think that would completely solve the problem, though. This thing didn't happen overnight, and it won't be fixed overnight.

You combine an opioid epidemic with a recession and ****'s bound to get out of control.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-02-2018 at 03:20 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 06:52 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,909,379 times
Is the crime in Anchorage really as bad as the article makes it out to be?

Old 07-02-2018, 07:12 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,278,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Is the crime in Anchorage really as bad as the article makes it out to be?
It's worse then the article states. The is a group on the dreaded Facebook called "Anchorage Scanner Joe" that now has over 30,000 members. People post about crime going on in all parts of the city that the media doesn't report on. Many include cell phone video and pics as well video from home security systems. Anchorage police are so overrun that they don't respond to petty property crimes. They just tell you to go to their website and fill out an online report. If you spot someone driving your stolen car and you call APD it could be hours before they respond.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Dimon-487097351.html

ANCHORAGE, (KTUU) Police are investigating a shooting between 2 vehicles that sent one adult female to the hospital.

Around 12:30 a.m., dispatch received a report of a shooting between two vehicles at the intersection of Dimond Blvd. and Minnesota Drive.

Initial reports found a white sedan and a red SUV were driving westbound on Dimond Blvd.

Police say when the vehicles were stopped at the intersection, someone from the sedan shot the SUV multiple times and struck the driver, and both vehicles drove off.

Last edited by stiffnecked; 07-02-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

Anyways, car thieves being able to roam free and steal while receiving PFD's and benefits doesn't seem to be working out well down there. .
Do you have a credible source for your claim that car thieves are raking in the PFDs and "benefits?"

Old 07-02-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Do you have a credible source for your claim that car thieves are raking in the PFDs and "benefits?"
No I made it up . But since almost every resident receives a PFD, I assumed that these Alaskan car thieves are receiving theirs as well. Can't help but wonder if people no longer receive a check every year if many of these types of criminals would be more inclined to leave. Or maybe it will make it even worse, who knows.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
It's worse then the article states. The is a group on the dreaded Facebook called "Anchorage Scanner Joe" that now has over 30,000 members. People post about crime going on in all parts of the city that the media doesn't report on. Many include cell phone video and pics as well video from home security systems. Anchorage police are so overrun that they don't respond to petty property crimes. They just tell you to go to their website and fill out an online report. If you spot someone driving your stolen car and you call APD it could be hours before they respond.

UPDATE: Woman expected to survive in early morning Anchorage shooting

ANCHORAGE, (KTUU) Police are investigating a shooting between 2 vehicles that sent one adult female to the hospital.

Around 12:30 a.m., dispatch received a report of a shooting between two vehicles at the intersection of Dimond Blvd. and Minnesota Drive.

Initial reports found a white sedan and a red SUV were driving westbound on Dimond Blvd.

Police say when the vehicles were stopped at the intersection, someone from the sedan shot the SUV multiple times and struck the driver, and both vehicles drove off.
Wow. Do you think this is all related to the drug trade? Do you see it getting any better anytime soon?

The ADN has been printing article after article out how bad crime and vehicle theft has been in Anchorage lately, so I was mainly just wondering how bad it really is.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
No I made it up . But since almost every resident receives a PFD, I assumed that these Alaskan car thieves are receiving theirs as well. Can't help but wonder if people no longer receive a check every year if many of these types of criminals would be more inclined to leave. Or maybe it will make it even worse, who knows.
That's what I thought.

I doubt the PFD is causing them to hang around.

People who live marginal lives are probably less likely to get the check than others anyway. No stable address or bank account for direct deposit, can't prove residency, financial judgements against them, that sort of thing. I think there are some criminal offenses that make people ineligible to receive "the check." I don't know what other kind of "benefits" you think car thieves are getting.

I wouldn't mind seeing the PFD go away, or at least amended so that parents can't blow their children's checks, but I highly doubt it's to blame for Anchorage's problems.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-02-2018 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage