Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:25 PM

167 posts, read 422,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2AK&ME View Post
My husband and I would like to make Alaska our legal residence. We will be buying a condo and spending most of the year in Anchorage after we retire next year. We are not expecting to qualify for the permanent fund, we just want to be able to vote, register our car, file our taxes and call Alaska home. We can't seem to find a definitive answer as to how to go about becoming legal residents. Would appreciate any help with this. Thanks D
We will be spending a few of the winter months in Maine (not hot weather lovers!) and would like to keep a car there so that we wouldn't have to rent. We want to be resident Alaskans so I was wondering if we could register that car in Alaska even though we will keep it in Maine. Has anybody else run into this type of situation, and if so how did you manage it? We don't want to do anything illegal by accident. (Hmmm, that sounds funny. We don't want to do anything illegal on purpose either!) We are getting very excited about my retirement June 2009 (J. retired this June, we are both teachers) and our impending move to Alaska. We already have some relatives in Anchorage, J is a devoted fisherman and biologist and I have spent the past 2 years exercising off 50lbs so that I can really hike and enjoy new outside adventures. Whoo Hoo! There is life after kids and a career. Sorry, getting carried away. Thirty years in teaching can do that to you. Anyway, if any one has some advice on the car issue we would really appreciate it. I read the posts almost everyday and
there is always something new that I learn from all your thoughtful replies.
Thanks, D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I think if you are keeping and using the car in Maine, you will need to have it registered in Maine.

You might be able to register it in AK but I would have to wonder why you would want to. I have an alternate residence myself, and keep my lower 48 truck registered in the state it lives is. My AK truck never visits here either.

BTW, best of luck to ya

Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 PM

655 posts, read 916,994 times
Thinking of buying a condo and scamming the PFD, is much more serious thenit used to be. They will throw your ARS in the slammer for 5 years now. I know a family of 9 that is doing this BS right now and am in the process of reporting them. total traveling con-artists.

I have lived in Alaska for 22 years and moved away just a few weeks ago. I own 3 cars there still and a home that I have rented. I plan to be back up in the state for the months of October, November and December. This means I would be gone less then 60 days total this year. YET, I will NOT be claiming the dividend. Why? Because my "intent" is not to reside in Alaska permanently. Even though I qualify on all other basis and could easily get it this next year, I do not feel it is totally honest to do so.

People in Alaska protect their dividend right up there with the likes of God and Family and if you screw with it, they will report you. Don't mess with it. You know if you deserve it or not, read the rules and follow the to a "T" or enjoy a cell next to Bubba.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
We will be spending a few of the winter months in Maine (not hot weather lovers!) and would like to keep a car there so that we wouldn't have to rent. We want to be resident Alaskans so I was wondering if we could register that car in Alaska even though we will keep it in Maine. Has anybody else run into this type of situation, and if so how did you manage it? We don't want to do anything illegal by accident. (Hmmm, that sounds funny. We don't want to do anything illegal on purpose either!) We are getting very excited about my retirement June 2009 (J. retired this June, we are both teachers) and our impending move to Alaska. We already have some relatives in Anchorage, J is a devoted fisherman and biologist and I have spent the past 2 years exercising off 50lbs so that I can really hike and enjoy new outside adventures. Whoo Hoo! There is life after kids and a career. Sorry, getting carried away. Thirty years in teaching can do that to you. Anyway, if any one has some advice on the car issue we would really appreciate it. I read the posts almost everyday and
there is always something new that I learn from all your thoughtful replies.
Thanks, D
We have a son going to school in Oregon. When we checked our insurance for the car he's driving, they said it had to be registered in Alaska to be insured under our policy. So he drives a car with Alaska plates in Oregon. I know Washington state is a stickler for registering vehicles within 60 days, but you can get out of it by proving you're only there temporarily, of which being a student is one reason (learned this from my son's friends). It can be a hassle though if you get stopped for a traffic violation. Possible Maine is the same way. A possible problem is that Anchorage requires emissions testing, so the car might need to be there for the testing.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Why try to scam using Alaska? Just man up and register your vehicles where they belong, and pay your taxes where they belong. I for one don't much care for scammers. Live here or don't.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:39 PM

167 posts, read 422,601 times
To travelmate38 and Rance, I was very upset when I read your replies. You basically accused us of being dishonest scammers! I thought that I made it clear in my very first post that we had no intention of trying to get the PDF. We have never lived between 2 states before and we have to become residence of one of them. Since we will spend more of the year in Alaska it seemed to make sense to become Alaskan residence. The residency rules are not very clear and I didn't know if I could register cars in two different states, that was why I was asking. I certainly didn't expect a personal attack. I'm not sure if I will risk posting on this forum again. D

Old 07-24-2008, 05:30 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
You would register your vehicles in the state they are primarily driven and stored in. I have two vehicles registered in Alaska and another down south where it is kept.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Travelmate,

all that sun you say you're enjoying these days must be blinding you. Read the initial post, please. This person clearly states that-

Quote:
We are not expecting to qualify for the permanent fund, we just want to be able to vote, register our car, file our taxes and call Alaska home.
You owe this person an apology for your rant.

To answer the registration question, I keep a vehicle both here and in Alaska. it never caused a problem.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
To travelmate38 and Rance, I was very upset when I read your replies. You basically accused us of being dishonest scammers! I thought that I made it clear in my very first post that we had no intention of trying to get the PDF. We have never lived between 2 states before and we have to become residence of one of them. Since we will spend more of the year in Alaska it seemed to make sense to become Alaskan residence. The residency rules are not very clear and I didn't know if I could register cars in two different states, that was why I was asking. I certainly didn't expect a personal attack. I'm not sure if I will risk posting on this forum again. D
Pay no attention to travelmate38, his posts are that of a troll - from Wikipedia: "An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion." As for Rance, never met him and certainly don't claim to speak for him, but I suspect it's probably more of a case of being a little "rough around the edges".

As for your registration question, you didn't mention exactly where you plan to buy property and establish a residence. If it's in Anchorage (since you posted in the Anchorage forum), the vehicle could be subject to emissions inspections which would mean it would need to be physically present upon initial registration, and then once every other year for reinspection. Could mean allot of miles on the Alcan!

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 07-24-2008 at 08:19 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 12:09 AM

655 posts, read 916,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Travelmate,

all that sun you say you're enjoying these days must be blinding you. Read the initial post, please. This person clearly states that-

You owe this person an apology for your rant.

To answer the registration question, I keep a vehicle both here and in Alaska. it never caused a problem.
Met,
Can you read? I'm really serious with this question. I think you can ready, but are selective about what you wish to comprehend. In the person's second post (instigating my response) they state "we are not "REALLY" wanting to qualify for the dividend." Hence, if we can get away with buying a condo, registering our vehciles and not living there and still qualify for the dividend, we will take it.

My response was not specific in whom it addressed. It was simply a warning to those in general, whom think because they own property here, can scam the system and claim a dividend. I stand 100% behind my original post and owe nobody an apology. The dividend is for those who actually reside here, live and work here, spend their money here, raise their family here. It is not for fly-over condo investors or property investors. The dividend as clearly stated is for those who intend to stay here indefinitely.

Perhaps my post ruffled some feathers as it is my understanding you have been out of state for how long? Are you still claiming the dividend and do not like hearing the REAL rules and how they ARE applied? Perhaps?

I don't live in Alaska anymore, true, but I did for 22 years and I know I speak for those who love and live in the state when I state........Don't mess with Alaska's dividend!

As for the comments about the weather. They are in good nature. A poking of fun about the lousy summer weather. Don't take it personally, it is not intended to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage