U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,736,076 times

Advertisements

Anchorage Crime Map
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM

686 posts, read 3,572,358 times
Great link. Anchorage is actually a VERY safe city. There's not one area of town I wouldn't walk in day or night. That's the great thing about Anchorage. It's a growing city without all the crime and so forth.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:39 PM

17,824 posts, read 21,776,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Great link. Anchorage is actually a VERY safe city. There's not one area of town I wouldn't walk in day or night. That's the great thing about Anchorage. It's a growing city without all the crime and so forth.
I don't know where you are getting your information that Anchorage is "a VERY safe city", perhaps just wishful thinking. According to the 2006 FBI Uniform Crime Report, Anchorage is hardly safe. Anchorage, in fact, is far worse than most major cities its size and larger. Particularly if you happen to be female.

Aggravated assaults and forcible rape in Anchorage are more than double the National Average. Motor vehicle theft is 30% higher in Anchorage than the National Average. The number of murders in Anchorage is 25% higher than the National Average. In absolutely every crime category you can think of, Anchorage has a higher crime rate than the National Average on a per capita basis.

Source:
Crime Statistics
Table 1 - Crime in the United States 2006 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_01.html - broken link)

Old 04-21-2008, 05:23 PM

686 posts, read 3,572,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I don't know where you are getting your information that Anchorage is "a VERY safe city", perhaps just wishful thinking. According to the 2006 FBI Uniform Crime Report, Anchorage is hardly safe. Anchorage, in fact, is far worse than most major cities its size and larger. Particularly if you happen to be female.

Aggravated assaults and forcible rape in Anchorage are more than double the National Average. Motor vehicle theft is 30% higher in Anchorage than the National Average. The number of murders in Anchorage is 25% higher than the National Average. In absolutely every crime category you can think of, Anchorage has a higher crime rate than the National Average on a per capita basis.

Source:
Crime Statistics
Table 1 - Crime in the United States 2006 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_01.html - broken link)
I am getting my info from experience. While those stats may be true, you can walk around any neighborhood in Anchorage and I can bet you won't have any troubles. When you put the murders into comparison with the population, yes it can be high. I don't think 26 murders (or something close to that in 2007) for a city with a population of around 282,813 is horribly high!! I don't think so. Rape and domestic violence is high though. I will agree on that. But even with that, I feel safer in Anchorage than I will ever feel somewhere else.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,736,076 times
That chart doesn't have rapes on it. I hope that Anchorage feels safe to me when I'm there in August. There are a lot of places here in Charlotte that I don't feel safe in either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage