Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 01:15 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just so you know, not everyone down here is "panicking in the streets" either.

And I've heard some unpleasant stories about customer behavior in the Anchorage Costco.

I am so sick of Alaskans this and Alaskans that. Go read the Fairbanks Facebook page if you think Alaskans are somehow better than everyone else. That's just one example. Some of the worst scum on the planet has washed up in Alaska.
Well, I never claimed AK was idiot or scum-deprived. Then of course we all know MOST "Alaskans" are imports anyway and tend to drag their baggage along with them. Just takes them a little longer and costs them a little more to get it all here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 03:00 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just so you know, not everyone down here is "panicking in the streets" either.

And I've heard some unpleasant stories about customer behavior in the Anchorage Costco.

I happened to have been in the Costco on Diamond on Wednesday. There was absolutely nothing unpleasant about it - at all. It was as civil as civil gets (aside from pushing your shopping cart across a parking lot coated with an inch and a half of gravel).

Old 03-27-2020, 03:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I happened to have been in the Costco on Diamond on Wednesday. There was absolutely nothing unpleasant about it - at all. It was as civil as civil gets (aside from pushing your shopping cart across a parking lot coated with an inch and a half of gravel).
I'm glad you had a good experience, but just because you did doesn't mean everyone has. I've heard unpleasant stories from family members.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:55 PM

532 posts, read 445,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The new COSTCO in Fairbanks has been easy to shop at as well. I am impressed, they've really got their act together. All registers open, associates politely managing the dispensing of high demand items such as paper towels, TP, etc. Some items that are out or running low or are out are listed and updated on a dry erase board. Questions politely answered as to when resupply is expected. Senior hours on Tuesday and Thursday.
In fact this week has been the easiest in and out shopping I've done at that store.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:34 AM

35,015 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
A Republican congressman from Alaska reportedly appeared to downplay the coronavirus pandemic to a group of senior citizens last week, saying it's a problem caused by media "hysteria" and that its deadliness has been "blown out of proportion."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/polit...rus/index.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
What a idiot!
Maybe he should not have been so mocking but he turned out to be largely right.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:20 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Well, he (Don Young) ended up catching covid himself, got very sick, and now sings a different tune about covid.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

https://www.adn.com/politics/2021/07...-done-with-it/

Old 02-02-2022, 04:23 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
'CNN has reached out to Young's congressional office and campaign.

"It was my understanding that the Congressman was trying to urge calm, stressing his confidence that we will weather this storm," Young's campaign manager, Truman Reed, told the Anchorage Daily News.

[...]

Reed confirmed to the newspaper that Young's campaign has canceled and postponed campaign events.

The Alaska congressman has also announced on Facebook Monday that he directed staff in all his offices to telework "out of an abundance of caution."'

That's all there ever was to this story. His actions speak to his beliefs (which seem to be consistent from the beginning), and urging people to not panic is something all elected officials should do.

I understand partisanship, but sometimes it just goes way too far.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:11 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
'CNN has reached out to Young's congressional office and campaign.

"It was my understanding that the Congressman was trying to urge calm, stressing his confidence that we will weather this storm," Young's campaign manager, Truman Reed, told the Anchorage Daily News.

...I understand partisanship, but sometimes it just goes way too far.
LOL. Truman Reed was simply engaging in spin.

He was urging senior citizens to "go on" with their daily lives before vaccines were available for them.

That wasn't "right", it's wrong in a big way. A lot of unvaccinated old folks have died from the virus, and continue to do so.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:13 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
LOL. Truman Reed was simply engaging in spin.
Right - That's why he canceled campaign events and had his staff work from home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage