U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 07:04 PM

15,599 posts, read 37,004,981 times

Advertisements

Graciebear you can live a sheltered life hiding and running from everything that scares you in this world. Or you can grow a pair, and get up here. Take a little charge of your life and your conscious. I believe you'll be a better, stronger woman in the end, that can walk anywhere with pride and confidence. This place is huge. Please don't limit yourself to Anchorage. We can talk all day long, but your just gonna have to come up here and experience it for yourself. Women have been pioneering to Alaska long before we bought it from Russia. It's whats makes you an Alaskan. You come in here and manage to exsist despite the weather, the work, the living conditions, cost of living...whatever. And at the end of the day, no matter how miserable it may have been...you would'nt leave here for the world!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 07:16 PM

366 posts, read 313,490 times
Quote:
With the way the crime is posted on the web it is actually making me nervous to move there. Has anyone seen or had any problems while living there? It makes me very nervous as a single woman loving there by myself.
Yes, I had a problem last winter. A moose got after my dog. But that was his fault because he was trying to play with her cub. I had to go start the truck and pretend we were going somewhere to get him to get out of harm's way.

I'm a single woman. I've never been afraid of rape here.

The stats alone can be frightening. You need to look beyond the stats.

I don't quite know how to put this but a good part of the violence here is taking place within a certain community. If you take away that, the stats would be pretty low.

I can tell you one thing---if you're walking down the street in Anchorage and some guy jumps out and attacks you, there's gonna be ten guys right there putting a stop to that nonsense as soon as you scream or let it be known that you need help. You can't say that about the lower 48.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 PM

686 posts, read 3,567,105 times
Default hi there,

I spent most of my life in Anchorage, 14 years. I am going off to college now. I would say areas to avoid would be, definitely Spenard, and Mountain View. The other areas are nice. My favorite area would Be Muldoon. Around Muldoon Road and Debarr. that is the area where my aunt lives. I love that neighborhood.

Crime is not to bad, but it has gone up in the past couple years. I don't want to say let your guard down, but crime really isn't something to worry about in Anchorage. Just stay out of Spenard and Mountain view, and you should be fine. I found this website from APD which shows a map with murder stats and stuff. darker areas are worse. Here's that sight. http://www.muni.org/iceimages/APD1/ancpersonfeb07.pdf (broken link)

If you have more questions, i will be happy to answer.

daniel

Last edited by Daniel_T; 03-13-2007 at 11:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 PM

686 posts, read 3,567,105 times
Default More Info

Found this on the APD website. Shows a map with homicides and stuff. Areas with the darker colors are worse. Here's that site. Hope it helps.

http://www.muni.org/iceimages/APD1/ancpersonfeb07.pdf (broken link)

Daniel

Old 07-11-2009, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 7,502 times
I am thinking about moving to Anchorage Alaska and I just wanted to know a few things about that area. I have read alot about the crime rate there and I'm still not sure on how to take it. I am from around the St Louis area in Missouri, but definitly not too close. It's crime rate is pretty bad. I was just wandering if any one could possibly relate to that area and maybe compare it to Anchorage Alaska so that I could get a better idea. I have two kids ages 9 and 11 so I am definitly worried about their well being and schooling. Thank you!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:11 AM

21 posts, read 43,581 times
I don't live in Alaska...yet...but I grew up in New Orleans (the 'original' sin city! LOL!), have lived in Chicago, Ohio, Kentucky, and spent considerable time in New York. I have never had a problem anywhere and I go alone if I want to. I went to a 'self-defense' seminar once (had a crush on the guy sponsoring it) and learned quite a bit -- about myself. The guy actually giving the seminar singled me out right away and asked me to walk across the floor. As I did this, he tried to grab my arm and I instinctively jerked it away and turned around to face him. He then announced that this is the way that every woman should respond -- defiant! He went on to say that I walked with confidence and that is usually a deterrent to most would-be attackers. People up to no good are usually looking for easy prey. It's okay to go by yourself ANYWHERE, just don't act like prey. He also gave a few tips about dressing, how to carry your bag, holding your keys, a few defensive manuevers, and being vocal when someone approaches. About 10 years ago, a guy grabbed my shoulder as I walked passed him and I quickly turned around and screamed "DON'T TOUCH ME!" LOL! The guy was so shocked he turned around and walked briskly away!
The point of my story, dear, is to encourage you to take responsibility for how you want to live your life...as chicken little or a strong, proud woman.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 PM

1,858 posts, read 2,806,147 times
This is a frequently asked question on this forum. Invariably, people will respond with "don't move to Mountain View, Spenard, Fairview, or Muldoon." The reality is that there is crime EVERYWHERE. Unless one knows the context in which the Poster asks the questions, it is difficult to respond accurately. If the person is relocating from a rural town in the middle of Idaho, the answer about the crime rate would be totally different from the one for the person relocating from East LA. As someone who has lived in over a dozen different states, I will tell you that overall, Anchorage is a safe place to live? Do we have crime? Yes. Do we have murders? Absolutely (about 25 per year). However, most people do not live in fear. Don't buy into the argument that we have one of the the highest crime rate in the country. Its "per capita," which given Alaska's small population only makes sense. Its a great place to live. Just use common sense and you will be fine (or at least as fine as you would be anywhere else)

Old 10-12-2009, 05:03 AM

40 posts, read 80,557 times
We have lived here for 9 months now and have found anchorage a bad place for crime. We have gang problems with the associated drug problems, and a real homeless people problem. I would say if your thinking about a move here think about it twice and don't do it if you have any other options. If you do decide to make the move dont go out after dark, get a personal defence weapon, we never leave home without pepper spray and or a gun.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Graciebear you can live a sheltered life hiding and running from everything that scares you in this world. Or you can grow a pair, and get up here. Take a little charge of your life and your conscious. I believe you'll be a better, stronger woman in the end, that can walk anywhere with pride and confidence. This place is huge. Please don't limit yourself to Anchorage. We can talk all day long, but your just gonna have to come up here and experience it for yourself. Women have been pioneering to Alaska long before we bought it from Russia. It's whats makes you an Alaskan. You come in here and manage to exsist despite the weather, the work, the living conditions, cost of living...whatever. And at the end of the day, no matter how miserable it may have been...you would'nt leave here for the world!
Yeah Gracie...grow a nice pair then show them to us.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM

854 posts, read 1,784,051 times
i lived in fairview once. one event that stands out: less than a block away from home, my wife and i witnessed a 61 year old bicycle ice cream man get pistol whipped by a couple of young thugs who apparently thought they were really tough **** for robbing an old man on a bicycle. the dude had a huge gash in his head, slightly indented. the thugs got away with a whopping $4 of his tip money, some ice cream, and got caught 7 minutes later (in mountain view).

i thought it was kind of silly- we'd just moved from a city where we would hear gun battles from our bedroom window (on occasion), and here we are in a place with a reputation for being a big small town- and there are these 19 year olds trying so hard to be dangerous. at the same time, it's those wanna-be types that can be the most dangerous- they feel they have something to prove, and will sometimes do about anything to prove it.

in short, i don't think i would ever want to live in anchorage again, even in the nicest part. it's just more of the same thing, and the exact thing i wanted to leave behind. my advice is to not move to anchorage if you want city life- you're better off in the lower 48 (i suppose if you've got some really sweet job offer, an exception could be made). you'll still have traffic, crime, too many neighbors, sprawl, etc., but with a nice mountain backdrop (that's pretty much the only difference).

i'd much rather live out here with the bears. bears are much more predictable than a 19 year old with a gun and something to prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage