U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,229,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdexp View Post
We have lived here for 9 months now and have found anchorage a bad place for crime. We have gang problems with the associated drug problems, and a real homeless people problem. I would say if your thinking about a move here think about it twice and don't do it if you have any other options. If you do decide to make the move dont go out after dark, get a personal defence weapon, we never leave home without pepper spray and or a gun.
Move to a better part of town. Maybe your hanging out in the wrong areas. We haven't experienced the same thing since moving up this summer. We've been downtown, uptown and midtown after dark thirty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:36 PM

40 posts, read 80,557 times
Well good for you, all I can speak to is our experiences. We do like Alaska but wouldn't recommend Anchorage.
All you need do is go to the MUNI web site and look at the police crime map. Anchorage Crime Map

Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 PM

21,368 posts, read 34,837,259 times
If you don't like Anchorage, go back to where you came from! I've never had any problems in any part of town in all my visits in my whole life. I'm there every other month, too. Who cares what a crime map says? If they want to move here don't discourage them in what they think will be an ideal move. Every town in every part of this world has crime. Why hide from it?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,095,745 times
I am a woman who daily hikes the trails of Anchorage alone with my dog. I have lived here 12 years and have never had any apprehension regarding Anchorage & crime. Yes, we have crime; however, most of it is not random, but is often interpersonal. I do make a point not to go out to quick shops after dark. In fact, I stay home after dark most of the time. We do meet after work for drinks & dinner downtown without any worries or concerns. Well, our only concern is when we can stop feeding the meters.

Yes there are shootings but my friends and associates certainly aren't involved. The homeless folks seem pretty harmless to me. I make a point to donate to the homeless shelters.

I love Anchorage! I feel totally safe here. None of my friends and colleagues talk about their concerns of or express fear for their safety. Anchorage is a beautiful place. Where else could I hike or ski out my back door onto trails that traverse the entire town?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,326 times
I've lived in anchorage, Alaska for my whole life 18 years. At first I lived on the southside of town (which is considered the good part of town) and I felt completely safe. Then later on I moved to mountain view which a lot of people consider the "bad" side of Anchorage but as a female I've never felt like i was in danger the 3 years I lived in mountain view. I even walked home alone at night in mountain view and never had problems. Yes Anchorage does have crime like any other city but I still consider Anchorage very safe and great city to raise a family.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:14 PM

261 posts, read 454,933 times
In my opinion, the Turnagian side of town is by far the nicest and the safest.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,989 times
So what ARE the good places to live in Anchorage? Is there a neighborhood with trees and older homes and apts. I'm looking for a 1 bedrm and don't want to pay a fortune. And what about the cost of food?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM

6,992 posts, read 11,371,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yecutieleh View Post
So what ARE the good places to live in Anchorage? Is there a neighborhood with trees and older homes and apts. I'm looking for a 1 bedrm and don't want to pay a fortune. And what about the cost of food?
suggest you visit first....?? "older homes??" not cost a fortune?? ummm...Anchorage has a lot of concrete type apartment buildings...there are "suburbia" type areas but most of the houses are not really that old.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 PM

31 posts, read 99,460 times
Default Anchorage can be a nice place to live...

Nice hoods; Eagle River, Chugiak, South Anchorage and the Hillside and Turnagain. I would search out a duplex to rent with a garage to park in during the winter and be on the lookout to purchase a single family home in one of these nice areas.

You can easily avoid most of the Anchorage crime and underworld if you live in a nice neighborhood, don't frequent the downtown bar scene around closing time, stay away from the drug culture and those within that culture, avoid the "massage parlors" along Tudor and be just be vigilant, you will find the MOA a nice place to live.

Almost forgot, stay away from the Dimond Mall, be very careful driving on the Seward Highway, and stay off the mudflats because it can be quicksand.

So much of the Anchorage crime turns out be domestic in nature and/or drug related. We do have some very shocking unprovoked assaults on occasion that will stir the community to the core, but much of the violence is domestic or gang banger drug deals gone bad. Areas of high density, low income housing is where the crime and other crap happens.

My family has had more issues with wildlife of the wild kind, than with being victims of crime and I hope it stays that way. Pesky moose, brown bears biting co-workers, wolves eating the dogs in my neighborhood. Wolves treeing joggers, etc... That's my .02$

Old 07-31-2011, 06:20 PM

32 posts, read 82,600 times
The whole crime thing is really very subjective. I'm just looking at the interactive crime map that the anchorage police department provides:

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

and I have to say, I'm finding it a very informative tool. If you look you will see that the majority of the bad crimes (things that I would worry about; assaults, drugs, robbery that sort of thing. Disturbing the peace, arson, fraud I'm not to terribly worried about) are localized in the northern neighborhoods (mountainview, fairview and russian jack park seem to be the worst areas).

The good thing about this map (well there are actually two really good things) is that you can sort by type of crimes, so if a certain type of crime isn't a big deal for you (like fraud is for me, I'm not worried about anyone jumping out of the shadows and committing fraud against my wife), you can take those off to get a more accurate picture of where the major crimes are being committed.

The second nice feature of this map is that it is national map, so you can go to your current city and do a direct comparison. For example, my wife and I are moving up to Anchorage from Merced, Ca. (central valley, just north of Fresno). Over the last week, there were 481 crimes committed in Anchorage compared to 630 in Merced (and Merced is 1/3 the population of Anchorage), so for us it looks like we're moving to a much safer city, and as long as we steer clear of those bad areas, we're going to feel MUCH safer in Anchorage than we did in Merced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage