Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,204 times

Advertisements

I need help with some information. I leave for Anchorage Wed. the 4th, to check it out . I will be working at Providance Hospital, I have a 9 yr.old and need some input as to where to live and schools. I am comming from one of the highest rated schools in Michigan. Also my husband will be attending the University, and we have no idea where to live. I need to be at the hospital within 30 minutes. PLEASE HELP. Is Anchorage a nice place to live ? Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by ppmi; 06-02-2008 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
This map depicts the various areas within Anchorage: Google Maps

You will want to avoid the dark red areas (Fairview, Mountain View, Spendard, and Muldoon) as they are the higher crime areas.

You can live anywhere in Anchorage and be able to get to anywhere else in Anchorage within 15 minutes. Even if you lived in Eagle River you could still get to Providence Hospital within 30 minutes.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:19 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Default schools

Rogers Park Elementary is an very excellent school & Rogers Park neighborhood is very nice. It is right by the hospital & the university.

Another nice neighborhood is College Gate & College Gate Elementary has a good reputation. You could ride a bike or ski to the hospital or university from there!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,075 times
We are moving to Anchorage from Portland at the end of July. Fortunately, we know some people (unfortunatly not near our age group) to stay with as we home search. Of course, we are going to need to make some new friends.

Other than say bars, are there any recommendations for places or welcome commitiees that would be useful for a 30s couple to meet some new & fun people?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM

16 posts, read 59,389 times
you are in luck, as the university and providence are right next ot each other. am not familiar with the living right there though, as i lived in downtown in 2001 and then on base for the remaining 6 1/2 years. there are good and bad areas blended together. and traveling will take you quite some time no matter where you are, come winter. a five minute drive could take you thirty, so be prepared. i would stay away from mt view area if i were you. but there is a good deal of houses down providence dr./36th st.. that would be a quick commute.
your traffic will SUCK bigtime around 4:15- 5:45 on lake otis parkway, tudor, benson, northern lights (all main roads around the university/hospital, but there are little side roads you will find to sneak around on good luck

Old 06-11-2008, 02:20 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnip97035 View Post
We are moving to Anchorage from Portland at the end of July. Fortunately, we know some people (unfortunatly not near our age group) to stay with as we home search. Of course, we are going to need to make some new friends.

Other than say bars, are there any recommendations for places or welcome committees that would be useful for a 30s couple to meet some new & fun people?
Kids and kid activities. When we moved, that's how we met our closest friends here. Of course, if you don't have kids, that won't work. The next place would be work and then churches and church groups. Following that would be adult recreational sport teams. If you like to coach, you can volunteer to coach a youth team and meet a socialize with the parents. Take craft/special interest classes or volunteer your time. The main point is to have as many people contacts as possible. Some will turn into friendships.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:50 AM

8 posts, read 67,271 times
Turnip,

Another place to meet people is the meetup.com website. Geez, I don't know if I'm supposed to post that here--very sorry if I am not supposed to. We have had luck in the past meeting new friends through there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage