Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 26,454 times

Advertisements

I've lived all over the US. I don't mind the cold, and I guess I'm a bit adventurous. I'm young and still haven't found a place to really call home. Would Alaska be a good alternative? I mean, I'd visit beforehand, but I'm just wondering if it'd be worth my time? I don't have a degree right now, so I'd work on it after relocating.

I've lived in bitter New York winters for awhile and I love darkness, so I guess that's a plus. Any advice? What's the job market like for something like data entry?

Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 PM

134 posts, read 525,739 times
I don't know about the job market but sounds like you'd like the recreation available at UAA. They do rock climbing, ice climbing, cross country skiing, etc.. If you're into the outdoors you may eventually call it home.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:43 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
It depends on what you're looking for. As for jobs, you can look here to see what's currently available through the state system:

Alaska Job Center Network

Old 08-28-2008, 03:31 AM

4 posts, read 14,366 times
It's quite compared to New York. Gorgeous if you love the outdoors. Alot of things to do in the short summers outside. I loved it there! And it's a huge party scene if you are into that. I recently moved to Las Vegas, and hate it compared to Alaska!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:52 PM

20 posts, read 88,404 times
I think the people who really appreciate Alaska tend to be a little older. Pretty much everyone who grows up here flees between 18 and 25 looking for something more exciting. Just sayin'. They DO tend to come back by 30 though!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM

182 posts, read 478,395 times
You say you like the darkness, there is quite a bit of daylight as well.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 AM

959 posts, read 2,361,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknowwhattodoo View Post
I've lived all over the US. I don't mind the cold, and I guess I'm a bit adventurous. I'm young and still haven't found a place to really call home. Would Alaska be a good alternative? I mean, I'd visit beforehand, but I'm just wondering if it'd be worth my time? I don't have a degree right now, so I'd work on it after relocating.

I've lived in bitter New York winters for awhile and I love darkness, so I guess that's a plus. Any advice? What's the job market like for something like data entry?

Thanks for the advice!

Wrong question. It isn't "is Alaska worth my time," it's "How long will I last in Alaska?"

I came up here when I was 25. Yes, I already had a degree (2, in fact), but my first 2 summers were seasonal jobs and my first winter I had to get by on 2 part time jobs. It's not for the faint of heart but well worth it if you want to truly experience an amazing place and way of life. How "into" the way of life you may have seen described here (i.e. subsistence fishing, hunting, etc) do you see yourself getting? The more you kill your own food, the less $$ you spend.

One example of what Alaska can mean: I met a bunch of 20-somethings when I first came here. One of them was a dyed-in-the wool vegan liberal hippy-chick --not meant to be insulting, just the facts --she and I didn't have too much in common, even then (I was more liberal back then--I believed in the 3-day waiting period ) Now, she is engaged to a commercial fisherman and is his partner on their boat. She has experienced some of the stuff you see on "Deadliest Catch" first-hand, is tough as nails, and thinks very differently about some of the issues we used to disagree about. She hunts avidly and eats whatever they kill. I consider her one of my best friends.

This place taught me what my parents could never drill into my head: DON'T HAVE DEBT! Or have as little debt as possible. I may not have crap for savings, but after being here a couple years, I dont have more than a couple thou. in debt either (bought a skiff this spring). That might be tougher if you're going to school but AK is pretty friendly to people seeking advanced education.

Be prepared for anything and everything, including a change within yourself. If you are looking for that, but also prepared to make it through some tough times financially, then come on up, man!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM

131 posts, read 533,435 times
I went to UAA. I was born and raised in Southern California and needed a change. It was the best time ever. Great school and a good party town. I loved Alaska and even stuck around for a few years after college. only left because of a better job offer. Now I am just plaining my retirement up there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: