Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 38,354 times

Advertisements

I just received a very good full time year round job offer in Anchorage, and moving to Ak will be a lifelong dream come true for me. The problem I'm running into is that my company may not approve a relocation package, which may mean I'll be tossing everything in storage here in the lower 48, and flying up there with what baggage I can check on an airline.

Could take me a couple weeks to a month to find a place to live, as I won't be coming up there before the move. Here's my question...

Are simple rooms for rent for short term something that's generally available up there? and also, since I'll be leaving my car in the lower 48, how's the public transportation system up there? Particularly in the winter (I'm thinking city buses mainly)

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 AM

131 posts, read 533,272 times
I'm sure you could find a short term lease at any APT complex. Anchorage is really no difference than the lower 48 when it comes to that stuff.

As for the bus - it is great if you have to use it. You may not want to stand in the cold too long, but they run great in the Winter. Downtown bus stops are mostly covered. Mid town and out are ususaly just sign posts so you will be standing in snow waiting.

What part of town is work going to be? I could help you little on the areas.

Good Luck

Oh yeah! I had a 6 month lease on a fully furnished apartment. Not a bad place. Just the basics. Included Cable (But no TV) and everything. All you had to pay for was Phone if you even got one. I just used my Cell. That was abpout 5-6 years ago so I can't tell you what the cost is now. Good central location too. I can let you know more about it if you interested.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 AM

7 posts, read 26,703 times
I would suggest you go to adn.com (Anchorage Daily News website) and start perusing the apartments for rent ads. Some places will allow you to sign month to month leases, others require a 6 month to 12 months lease. There are furnished apts. for rent as well.

You might consider contacting a property management company for help on finding a place. Many do not charge the renter for their services, but are remunerated by the property owners. Also, if you are planning a permanent move, you might consider selling all but your most prized possessions and starting over. A lot of things you could probably box up and mail to yourself (once you know where you will be staying) or have someone mail to you rather than try to survive with only what you can bring on the plane.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 AM

10 posts, read 34,990 times
I'd recommend checking out: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/

There are plenty of ads for apartments...and roommates, too.

The bus system downtown is fine, but depending on where you'll work the stops aren't nearly as "plentiful" in other areas of town (and not very frequent, either). You can google "People Mover" for our local bus system.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 PM

13 posts, read 49,750 times
diver9-
there are plenty of lower rent places here; plus hostels until you find what you want. Try craigslist for anchorage. Umm, one more thing, about your "very good year round job offer", remember everything up here is twice as expensive as from where you're coming from. So keep that in perspective before you rush up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage