U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 08:26 PM

52 posts, read 495,131 times

Advertisements

What do I need to know about doing this drive, any special things I need to bring along? How are the roads? We are driving a Dodge Diesel 4x4, and it will be my husband, dog, and myself. Any help would sure be appreciated! How long should we plan for? Leaving from the Reno, Nv area!

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 PM

15,602 posts, read 37,452,812 times
If you come up through North Dakota and stop every night for a room...your looking at 4-5 days. I drove the Alcan last April and the road was great. A few hints. Use the cheaper no brand name hotels/motels. Super 8 etc cost twice as much as they all seem to have pools. I also found that buying fuel in the little "one horse" towns was quite a bit cheaper than stopping at the name brand places. And it helps those little communities. For the most part the road is good shape. 30 miles either side of the Canadian/Alaskan border are pretty rough with frost heaves. In March alot of the places are closed by 5 or 6 PM once your into Canada. So make sure you have enough fuel to get a couple hundred miles between towns, or carry a couple jugs for spare. Not sure what you'll need for dog's paperwork, but make sure you have ID's, passports, dog papers, and vehicle papers. If either one of you have had a DUI in the past it may come back and haunt you at the border. Some get right through, some have to pay 200 bucks, and some get turned around. There are a couple hot springs along the way, and they are a great rest stop. You may even want to order a Milepost book that gives all the info you'll need for the Alcan. The web site is http://www.milepost.com/ and there are quick links to order a book. There is a message board that may hold vital info as well. There is a FAQ section that should answer anything you need to know. My guess is your going up the Cassiar Highway if your coming from Cali? Last I heard that road was a little rough! Best of luck...and bring a camera!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:11 AM

3,774 posts, read 10,583,549 times
Buy the Milepost. It's a mile by mile guide to the highways up to and through Alaska

Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 PM

64 posts, read 408,609 times
March isn't bad. Always watch for Critters, especially those darn Bison/Buffalo right north of Liard.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:20 AM

35 posts, read 321,573 times
I did Anchorage to San Diego in 5 nights in March a few years ago. Just plan on really cold temperatures and snow packed roads in the Yukon and the northern portions(closer to Tok) in Alaska. Did 80 mph most of the way.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:03 AM

22 posts, read 188,826 times
Default Cassiar

Last summer my husband and I rode the Cassiar on our motorcycles. We had NO trouble at all. There was road construction for the last 70 miles or so, but nothing major. For the most part the Cassiar is now like any 2 lane rural highway. Just pay close attention to your gas and you'll have no difficulties.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,655,477 times
Drove out via the Alcan in 2005 and the highway was vastly improved from my earlier trips between '85 and '05. I would recommend having a headbolt heater added to you vehicle if you don't already have one. I second the suggestion on getting the Milepost. The Cassier is more remote, but a nice ride. Have replacement wipers in case you get hit by a rock or ice chuck from a oncoming rig and it takes one out. Take your time and enjoy the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>