Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 AM

639 posts, read 1,906,020 times

Advertisements

I need a phone that will work from Seattle to Fairbanks,anyone know which one to go with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,419,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
I need a phone that will work from Seattle to Fairbanks,anyone know which one to go with?
I did a quick search and found this bit of info.

The MILEPOST Message Board: Cell Phone Update

For general information: You need to know what technology your phone carrier uses. GSM or CDMA. These are the most common. In Alaska Cell One and GCI use GSM. ACS uses CDMA. On average ACS has better statewide coverage, but GCI and Cell One have phones with more features etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:19 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,913,797 times
I have a Cellone prepaid and it didn't work in most of Canada. My father's Alaska Digital worked in every town on the Alcan, I was impressed!

Old 11-10-2007, 02:26 AM

3 posts, read 11,484 times
hey people i want to get a new cell phone but ti only works with verizon. and i was just wondering if i would get charged for roaming or anything in alaska.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:25 AM

52 posts, read 505,715 times
I have used my Verizon phone in Alaska for almost a year. I have never had a problem with them. I have a plan that covers the US with no roaming. NOw I have to admit I cant text or send photos or anything like that, but, I can call out and recieve calls
Carol

Old 01-21-2008, 01:39 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,283,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2travel2 View Post
Thank you for the encouraging word on Verizon, I really did not want to give it up! I hated the thought of leaving them and breaking my current contract.

Thanks
My daughter's had Verizon for years, and she no longer lives in the area where she first got it. She still has her original # from the deep south and is now way north on the Atlantic seaboard going to school. She said she has to punch in a code once every 6 months to let them know she still has the # and is still out of state, and that's it. There's no hassle when she pays her bill with the 'wrong' area code, which she does in person. She does retain her previous state of residency for a variety of reasons, and it makes it much easier for her going to school. Once she's graduated, she plans to leave asap, because life in a megalopolis doesn't suit someone who grew up in rural AK! The other thing about Verizon is that they don't charge for calls made to other Verizon numbers, and I don't care what the others say, they can get kind of snippy about it after awhile.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:46 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,283,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Cellular one (AT&T) works, but is limited to the areas around the cities and along most of the highways, but I use ACS
My son has a Cellular One phone that mostly doesn't work. He had to pay an utterly exhorbitant deposit to get it in the first place, because he doesn't have a land line - he's a fisherman and is out westward most of the year, or around Anchorage or the Lower 48 when he's not actually at sea. But his phone was defective from the beginning, no one seems able to figure out how to delete messages from the voice mail, and he's taken it back to the store where he got it and to the main office in Anchorage. They all fiddle with it and say they don't know WHY it doesn't work - but the one thing they haven't done is offer to replace it with one that works.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 17,724 times
Does anybody know if sprint works up there? I am moving in a month and just wanted to know if I have to cancel my plan or not.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 12:57 PM

28 posts, read 120,556 times
My husband has sprint and is unable to send text messages. He receives txts but it's 2-3 days later! His voicemail doesn't work very well either. Come to find out, there is only 1 sprint tower in Anchorage and it's by the base.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 8,250 times
what is acs?? Im getting ready to move to ketchikan, Alaska. And my cell company told me that they dont have coverage up there at all. But I need a cell phone.. Any suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage