Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:38 PM

62 posts, read 192,510 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have recieved a job opportunity to work in Alaska near Anchorage in Elmendorf. I have only three days to respond as to if I am interested and available to relocate for the position that starts in just a few weeks. I have so many questions I need answered before I can make the jump!

I have done a little research in the forums and it seems the place I would want to live would be Eagle Creek since it has the shortest commute to Elmendorf and one of the best elementary schools for my 9 year old daughter. Her current elementary school is set up similar to a Montessori however, so I am interested in hearing anyones opinion on Anchorage or Denali Montessori and if these are good quality schools also?

It seems you can find two bedroom apartments around $950-$975 in Anchorage, can I find this price range in Eagle Creek? Are there many places to rent there?

I was suprised to see that Minnesota winters are actually a bit colder than in Anchorage, so I know I will be able to survive that aspect of things, but how much daylight do you recieve in the winter?

Is it easy to make friends and is there an active social scene in Anchorage? I am also a little nervous knowing how conservative the state appears to be.. are there pockets of liberals here and there?

Lastly, I love the outdoors, hiking, rafting, backpacking etc. But knowing there are grizzlies changes things so much. I'm not interested in owning a gun and am not sure how safe a can of bear spray is going to make me feel! How common are bear attacks? Thanks!!!!

-Wood & Creek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 02:22 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Just to clarify... It's Eagle River, not Eagle Creek. Eagle River is a bedroom community for Anchorage, about 10 miles north on the Glenn Highway. And I'm assuming by saying the job is "in" Elmendorf, you mean Elmendorf Air Force Base.
Elmendorf AFB & Ft. Richardson (the Army post) sit immediately adjacent to Anchorage. So you could just as easily live in East Anchorage. Unless you'd rather not live in the "big city."
You'll find people from all political backgrounds here.
On the winter Solstice we get about 4 hours of daylight. From there you start to gain five to fifteen minutes a day.
If you are friendly person, you'll make friends. That's true anywhere you go. Most people in Anchorage are recent transplants. So everyone is looking to make friends.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 AM

376 posts, read 832,158 times
As far as all the activities you mentioned, you can have all of those and more. There are hiking groups that you can join that would help with the bear feelings! I've been here almost 2 years and probably have only seen 2 black bears in the distance.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:04 AM

That's a good idea, a hiking group would also be a good way to meet some new friends

Eagle River, see how much I know about the area? I wish I had more time to research. It looks like a great place from the little I have done. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'm still hoping for some pointers on the schools?

-Wood & Creek

Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Eagle River and South Anchorage if you have school age children are the good areas. The commute is much easier from south Anchorage all but extreme snow days. When you come up drive around and see,...you will know. Commute in snow from Eagle River is about 20 minutes.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,275 times
If you like Minnesota, you will love Alaska!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Well, truth be told I am growing a little tired of good old Minnesota...
but I do love the mountains and the outdoors so I think Alaska would be a good change for us Not to mention warmer winters and cooler summers, the extremes in Minnesota are getting hard to deal with.

So you are saying that the commute from South Anchorage to Elemndorf is closer/easier than from Eagle River? I will have to look into that area also then. We are used to the suburbs, being a small family of 3 and raising kids, Eagle River seemed like the way to go. It is about the same size as the town we live in now, around 30,000 people and we definitely want a safe area that children can run around and play in. What is South Anchorage like?

Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 PM

275 posts, read 579,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood & Creek View Post
So you are saying that the commute from South Anchorage to Elemndorf is closer/easier than from Eagle River? I will have to look into that area also then. We are used to the suburbs, being a small family of 3 and raising kids, Eagle River seemed like the way to go. It is about the same size as the town we live in now, around 30,000 people and we definitely want a safe area that children can run around and play in. What is South Anchorage like?
Depending on exactly where you work on JBER (Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson), south Anchorage locations could be slightly closer. JBER is a rather large military installation, so work location will make a difference.

One potential problem with Eagle River commute wise is if something goes wrong on the Glenn Highway, there are not any other options to get around the traffic. South Anchorage locations give you the choice of alternate routes, though you can still get stuck in some problems there too.

I live in the valley, so I can't help with the details on which location is better. I have co-workers that live in south Anchorage, Eagle River, and out here in the valley. Each location probably has it's plus and minus factors. You probably need to get your feet on the ground and get a feel for Eagle River, South Anchorage and any other location to see which will best suit your needs.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:29 PM

376 posts, read 832,158 times
I live south of Abbott Rd. and travel to Ft. Richardson for meetings on occasions. It may take me approximately 30 minutes depending on which direction I leave from my house, traffic and weather situations. Always plan on a little longer just for those reasons, especially in the winter time. Another thing to take into consideration is the shorter daylight hours and the length of winter. You will find that we may only get down to 4-5 hours of daylight here when getting close to Solstice. I've not been to Minnesota, so I don't know what amount of daylight hours you received, but it does seem different here. So, remember that a lot of driving may be in the dark!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:46 PM

468 posts, read 799,706 times
Good luck with your move. I am leaving Minnesota(western burbs of TC) next Monday for Anchorage. It is just for the school year. My husband is a school counselor in a village near Barrow. My oldest is going to have an orthopedic surgery in Seattle and rehab in Anchorage. At least this way we can all get together more often than if we did her surgery here.

I sympathize with the Montessori issue. My two younger ones were in Montessori schools; one in a preschool and one in a charter school. We made the decision to send them to the village with my husband. Part of it was practicality. My oldest's surgery is going to very extensive with a long recovery period. Part of it was for the experience. They have only been in school a couple of days and already they are adjusting to their non-Montessori classrooms. I hope you are able to connect with someone who has experience with the local schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage