U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,125,637 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My girlfriend and I are planning a vacation to Anchorage. We do not know much about the area at all. We plan on visiting anchorage based on recommendations by a co-worker of mine.

During our trip we'd like to do lots of outdoorsy things: hike, sightsee, go to parks, etc...

My questions to you all:

1. When would be the best time to come for us? I'm guessing Summer as we don't want to freeze too much!

2. Can anyone recommend good hotels/motels in Anchorage?

3. Can anyone recommend any specific things to do at specific places that sound like we might enjoy?

4. How easy or difficult is it to get around Anchorage? I'm guessing we'll be renting a car. But just wondering how close Anchorage is to hiking, parks and sight seeing.

And if anyone else just has any general advice please feel free to chime in! It's always been one of our top vacation destinations! We are only going to be able to stay around a week or a week and a half though

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:24 AM

15,602 posts, read 37,653,491 times
You can hike Flat Top which I think overlooks Anchorage, but drive south out of town along Turnagain Arm for some spectacular scenery. Drive all the way to Girdwood (28 or 30 miles) and ride the tram up the mountain. It's pretty cool up there and you can hike around the mountain tops. You might even check out the Anchorage Zoo so you can see the Alaskan critters up close.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 PM

11,838 posts, read 27,181,432 times
I hope one day that I can take this tour.
Anchorage city tours by Alaska Timberwolf Journeys & Tours (http://www.alaskatimberwolftours.com/sweatlodge.html - broken link)

Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,011,453 times
Can anyone tell me if day cruises are available out of Anchorage? We will be in town for 4 days, 11 months from now. We (family of 5) want to get out on the water, but return to the city at the end of the day. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:27 PM

21,368 posts, read 35,584,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Can anyone tell me if day cruises are available out of Anchorage? We will be in town for 4 days, 11 months from now. We (family of 5) want to get out on the water, but return to the city at the end of the day. Thanks!
You have a few choices of day trips on the water. You can drive to Whittier and take a tour from there with Prince William Sound Tours.

Prince William Sound Cruises & Tours: Day Cruises, Marine Tours, and Day Tour Packages in Prince William Sound

Drive a couple hours or take the Train to Seward and you have several choices of day trips.

Alaska Glacier Cruises and Tours: Alaska’s #1 Wildlife & Glacier Cruise from Kenai Fjords Tours

Anchorage & Seward Transportation Options | Renown Tours (http://www.renowntours.com/transportation.htm?gclid=CM69mPvB8JQCFST7iAod0Fd5q w - broken link)

Alaska Day Cruises: Alaska Glacier & Wildlife Cruises with Major Marine Tours

Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,011,453 times
Excellent, Warptman, I will probabaly do one from Wittier and one from Seward.

This might be a dumb question, --so have patience with me-- but are the roads from Anchorage to these two towns traversable by a standard rental car? Or would I need some kind of truck or 4WD? Thank you.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:06 PM

23,735 posts, read 32,004,463 times
Quote:
This might be a dumb question, --so have patience with me-- but are the roads from Anchorage to these two towns traversable by a standard rental car? Or would I need some kind of truck or 4WD? Thank you.
You'll be fine in a standard rental car.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:10 PM

15,602 posts, read 37,653,491 times
It's the one and only highway south to the Kenai Peninsula. Very modern and scenic drive with lot's of pullouts and passing lanes. Driving on the Seward Highway requires headlights on at all times, and pull over if you've got 5 or more vehicles stacked up behind you. You'll find most local traffic runs about 65 or 70mph anywhere possible. Any rental car will be fine. Enjoy your trip!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:00 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,618,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
3. Can anyone recommend any specific things to do at specific places that sound like we might enjoy?

And if anyone else just has any general advice please feel free to chime in! It's always been one of our top vacation destinations! We are only going to be able to stay around a week or a week and a half though

Thanks!
It doesn't take long to drive a short distance outside of Anchorage and be in rural Alaska. We take several day trips or one nighters from Anchorage several times each summer. Check out some options here:
Picasa Web Albums - Chilkoot

Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 AM

21,368 posts, read 35,584,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
It doesn't take long to drive a short distance outside of Anchorage and be in rural Alaska. We take several day trips or one nighters from Anchorage several times each summer. Check out some options here:
Picasa Web Albums - Chilkoot
Um, rural Alaska is off the road system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage