U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,033 times

Advertisements

I am a Spanish teacher in Ohio. I have always dreamed of moving to Alaska. I am really looking into it now. I am planning on applying to some schools, but I was wondering what Juneau is really like. I have read a lot about Anchorage. I am also wondering about the best schools in Anchorage, Juneau or Ketchikan. I want to work in a good school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 07:37 PM

63 posts, read 266,083 times
I have been a long term sub in Virginia Beach, VA for the last 2 years. While I was up in Anchorage last week I was looking more into the schools. I do know that their is a possibility that the teachers are going on strike. This teacher also told me to stay away from Muldon and Mountain view. She said the southside schools are pretty good. I was just curious because I might just end up teaching instead of using my other degrees.

Cynthia

Old 01-28-2007, 04:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,811,149 times
Hi,

Not a teacher, but my kids seemed to like the schools in Ketchikan, just be aware that both Ketchikan and Juneau are not accesible by car, you have to fly there or come by boat. And Ketchikan is really small, really, really small.

Good luck

Tony

Old 01-29-2007, 09:27 PM

306 posts, read 983,266 times
Wow.

You say you are a webmaster there, Is there a high demand for web designers/graphic designers in Alaska? I go to college here in Maine for media and I was wondering how hard it would be to score a job around there. Thanks.

Edit: I just noticed the pattern in your posts. I think I smell me a bot...payed for by the city of Juneau.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 PM

15,601 posts, read 37,300,528 times
Pretty sorry excuse for a web master if you ask me. More like spam master. That kind of behavior will not be tolerated on this or any other city-data forum.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 PM

306 posts, read 983,266 times
Well Imincantion,

When you try to make your decision you now know that Juneau cheats

Old 02-05-2007, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,033 times
I don't quite understand some of the things people are writing in response to my question. I haven't been a member on here very long and I didn't get a chance to look at responses since I originally posted. Hope it is all worked out and people will continue to let me know about some places to live in Alaska.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:25 PM

22 posts, read 188,554 times
I don't know a lot about schools outside Anchorage, but in Anchorage there are good schools and bad schools, a lot like most cities. Eagle River schools all have a pretty good reputation. What level do you teach?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 PM

16 posts, read 68,494 times
Default Webmasters and teaching jobs

Two things. I don't think this is a very good time to move to Anchorage for a teaching job. There is constant talks of strikes and the Anchorage School District and the teachers union have had little to no luck in any kind of arbitration or mediation.

Secondly for the "unhappy camper" inquiring about web design in Alaska, save your time and money. My son was born and raised here, went to a top notch school in Florida (Full Sail) and has had a very rough time of finding full time work here for web design, post graduation. What work he's got is for little pay. He still does free lance work for former classmates or he'd starve to death. IT, database management and computer science seems to be more in demand.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 PM

13 posts, read 138,310 times
CL99 if you live in Virgina, why does your profile list Paducha, KY ????? Last time I checked they were not one and the same...... Just wondering... As for the schools, during my searches about relocating to Alaska, I found a lot of info on tourists sites, Juneau also has a relocation packett that is $25, or was that Ketchiakan, I forget, I'll will look and see if I still have the link and post it for you........... But I imagine like most schools across the country, subs are needed, my area has taken to hiring very unqualified people just because no one else wants the job, guess that goes with the overworked underpaid theme !!!!

Good luck !!

Take Care & God Bless
Trish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage