U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,746 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

I am being stationed in Ft Richardson in march. I am a brand new LT in the Army and am looking for some details about the surrounding area. Where are good places to live around Richardson? (I heard Eagle River has a large military population?) What can I expect for rent and cost of living? Weather in March? I am from Northern New York originally (along the Ontario/Quebec border), so the cold weather does not bother me one bit. All feedback is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 01:36 PM

17,824 posts, read 22,179,042 times
Eagle River does have a large military population, and is a better choice than the Muldoon area, which also has a large military population and a higher crime rate. Eagle River is only about 15 minutes from downtown Anchorage, and maybe 5 minutes from the Fort Richardson main gate.

This is a map of the Anchorage areas: Google Maps

You will want to avoid the areas in dark red because they are the areas where the crime rate is the highest.

Rent will vary from $750 and up, depending on what you are looking for. You should be able to find a decent one bedroom apartment for around $750. A 2 or 3 bedroom home will rent for around $1,500.

Cost-of-living will be higher than what you are used to. Particularly with produce and fresh foods. Just about everything in Alaska is imported from the lower-48.

The good news is that you will love our winters. Anchorage doesn't get as cold or as much snow as northern New York. The bad news is that March is typically one of Anchorage's biggest snow months (December is the other). The temperature in March will range anywhere from 0°F to 32°F or even warmer. Anchorage averages 76" of snow annually, which means about 2 or 3 feet of snow will be on the ground.

I hope you remember how to drive on snow and ice. We get a lot (as in hundreds) of ditch divers every winter. Although, most will have figured out how to drive by March. Even though the intersections are sanded, studded tires are still highly recommended. If it has been a few years since you have driven on snow and ice, then a winter safety driving course might be worth considering.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 AM

63 posts, read 214,052 times
You will find that Anchorage is very supportive of their military, so that's good. You should check out all your military calculators to find out what you will get up here, and you will find it's pretty sweet, cause in AK, you get your base pay and housing allowance (if off base obviously), and all your other standard things you already get - however here its' more cause it's more expensive, but you also will get COLA, which will add some extra money in your pocket.
Weather in March is the end of winter, getting to be breakup (in a normal year), kind of ugly cause we don't USUALLY get a bunch of snowfall then so all the snow is yucky end of year nastiness - you know. But that's the vernal equinox so day/night is pretty equal.
Cost of living is higher, but Anchorage/Eagle River area has no sales tax, and there is no state income tax. Consider the fact we get the PFD too - but ONLY if you are an Alaskan resident for a full calendar year. I don't know if it applies to military or not, but I think many military members do receive it when they're here.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,793,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Eagle River does have a large military population, and is a better choice than the Muldoon area, which also has a large military population and a higher crime rate. Eagle River is only about 15 minutes from downtown Anchorage, and maybe 5 minutes from the Fort Richardson main gate.

This is a map of the Anchorage areas: Google Maps

You will want to avoid the areas in dark red because they are the areas where the crime rate is the highest.

Rent will vary from $750 and up, depending on what you are looking for. You should be able to find a decent one bedroom apartment for around $750. A 2 or 3 bedroom home will rent for around $1,500.

Cost-of-living will be higher than what you are used to. Particularly with produce and fresh foods. Just about everything in Alaska is imported from the lower-48.

The good news is that you will love our winters. Anchorage doesn't get as cold or as much snow as northern New York. The bad news is that March is typically one of Anchorage's biggest snow months (December is the other). The temperature in March will range anywhere from 0°F to 32°F or even warmer. Anchorage averages 76" of snow annually, which means about 2 or 3 feet of snow will be on the ground.

I hope you remember how to drive on snow and ice. We get a lot (as in hundreds) of ditch divers every winter. Although, most will have figured out how to drive by March. Even though the intersections are sanded, studded tires are still highly recommended. If it has been a few years since you have driven on snow and ice, then a winter safety driving course might be worth considering.
I wonder then why some of my neighbors are so fond of warning me about winter here after I've told them repeatedly that I'm from Pennsylvania and winter doesn't bother me in the slightest? If conditions are just as relatively moderate as you've suggested, why the scare-mongering? (Don't get me wrong, my neighbors are incredibly friendly and helpful).

This is the heart of Pittsburgh's party district right after we won the Super Bowl in 2006. It was about 10 degrees outside and we had a freaking blast. My wife had steer me home, literally. I think she was holding me up as I took these pics. Cold doesn't bother us Pennsylvania natives.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 08-17-2008 at 01:15 AM..

Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,638,919 times
It could be they are talking about how long and dark the winters here are. It will reach 20 below or colder here in the Valley at times. It use to be that the first snowfall, you could count on endless accidents. Well now ANY snowfall they are ditch diving, wrecks galore since many folks will still do 70 when there is ice and snow on the Glenn; Anchorage is just as bad as well as the Parks Hwy. Commuting in winter from the Valley to Anchorage can be a real pain in the a**

Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 AM

17,824 posts, read 22,179,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I wonder then why some of my neighbors are so fond of warning me about winter here after I've told them repeatedly that I'm from Pennsylvania and winter doesn't bother me in the slightest? If conditions are just as relatively moderate as you've suggested, why the scare-mongering? (Don't get me wrong, my neighbors are incredibly friendly and helpful).
I have no idea. Maybe they weren't paying attention when you told them where you were from. I have never spent a winter in Pennsylvania, but I did spend a winter in southern New Jersey, and Anchorage area winters are no worse. I also spent several winters in Minnesota, and they were more severe than the winters in the Anchorage bowl.

Winters in the southern Mat-Su Valley and the Kenai Peninsula are mild. It is only when you get 100 miles or more from the coast that the temperatures start becoming more extreme. The coldest and hottest places in Alaska are always in the interior.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have no idea. Maybe they weren't paying attention when you told them where you were from. I have never spent a winter in Pennsylvania, but I did spend a winter in southern New Jersey, and Anchorage area winters are no worse. I also spent several winters in Minnesota, and they were more severe than the winters in the Anchorage bowl.

Winters in the southern Mat-Su Valley and the Kenai Peninsula are mild. It is only when you get 100 miles or more from the coast that the temperatures start becoming more extreme. The coldest and hottest places in Alaska are always in the interior.
I would guess that it's our relative proximity to the water that ameliorates the severity of the winter?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,186,498 times
(Sorry for going off topic here.......)
Satch - GO Steelers!

I knew I liked you A fellow Pennsylvanian in AK. We are due up at the end of October, absolutely can't wait!
Our TV blew out last night and hubby convinced me to go with him and buy a new one, which we'll have pack to take up with us, obviously. A new TV was the last thing on my mind in the middle of packing to move!

His ploy??? "Oh honey, just think about watching the Steeler's during the one time they're televised on Monday night football and we can watch them in the middle of a big Alaskan snow storm????" Darnit.

Dawn
(Crossfires wife)

Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
(Sorry for going off topic here.......)
Satch - GO Steelers!

I knew I liked you A fellow Pennsylvanian in AK. We are due up at the end of October, absolutely can't wait!
Our TV blew out last night and hubby convinced me to go with him and buy a new one, which we'll have pack to take up with us, obviously. A new TV was the last thing on my mind in the middle of packing to move!

His ploy??? "Oh honey, just think about watching the Steeler's during the one time they're televised on Monday night football and we can watch them in the middle of a big Alaskan snow storm????" Darnit.

Dawn
(Crossfires wife)
Congratulations and good luck on your move! I already have my DirecTv with the Sunday Ticket ready to go. I can't wait to relax with a nice adult beverage as the wind is blowing snow around and watch the Black-n-Gold kick some butt!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,469,729 times
Hey Satch....you'll need a lot of adult beverages to be able to imagine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage