Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,394 times

Advertisements

WE are also considering a move to Anchorage from Hot Austin TX. I'm thinking we may want to move the dog on the Ferry with poddy pads. He's a large dog (boxer/lab mix) and we love him. I can't imagine trying to fly him, and I'm not crazy about going through Canada either. Does anyone know how long the Ferry ride is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Depending on the map, up to about six inches.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsword View Post
WE are also considering a move to Anchorage from Hot Austin TX. I'm thinking we may want to move the dog on the Ferry with poddy pads. He's a large dog (boxer/lab mix) and we love him. I can't imagine trying to fly him, and I'm not crazy about going through Canada either. Does anyone know how long the Ferry ride is?

Their website should tell you. Click on the link, and then click on your departure/arrival destinations: Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) :: Schedules :: Alaska DOT&PF (http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/schedules.shtml - broken link)

Old 08-27-2009, 11:07 AM

153 posts, read 462,960 times
All I hear about the ferry trip from families with kids/pets are horror stories. Single people or travelling with friends, those people don't seem to mind.

I REALLY enjoyed driving through Canada (except for the fuel prices..hooboy) and we brought our big marmalade cat with us. Would have been ZERO problem with a dog too though, because Canada seems to really cater to the pet-owner crowd with all the pet-potty areas at rest stops, pet-friendly places to stop & sleep etc.

As for the OP's concern... I'm with the others, your baby will be just dandy, though if she seems truly cold you may want to get her a jacket and booties.

Shan

Old 08-27-2009, 07:26 PM

322 posts, read 902,769 times
When we went through Canadian customs and said we were driving from Alaska to Texas and they asked about guns and we didn't have any, they acted surprised. :-) You just have to make sure your pet has a health certificate no more than 30 days old and has had a rabies shot in the last year. We drove with 5 cats (going the other way) and had no problem.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Hey Kitty, welcome home!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 PM

310 posts, read 777,530 times
We aren't in Homer yet but we are bringing 2 St. Bernards with us when we move. I told them about it and they are quite excited, especially with the miserable 90 degree summers in Delaware. They just look at the thermostat all day long wishing they had thumbs so they could crank the a/c down to 30 or 40. I see it in their eyes.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
When we went through Canadian customs and said we were driving from Alaska to Texas and they asked about guns and we didn't have any, they acted surprised. :-) You just have to make sure your pet has a health certificate no more than 30 days old and has had a rabies shot in the last year. We drove with 5 cats (going the other way) and had no problem.
When I moved to Chicago from Texas after college I kept the Texas plates on my car. I am not kidding......everyone figured I was loaded to the teeth with guns. I've never owned a gun in my life but my father had quite a few and my brother in law has a bunch of them, too.

Folks in other parts of the US seem to think that all Texans go heavily armed wherever they roam. We are armed but not necessarily with guns and ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage