Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,278 times

Advertisements

Hi,
my husband and I are going to Anchorage for 4 days during thanksgiving. we have already booked the flight ticket and the hotel, and are in the process of looking for some tours that we can take. Does anyone know of any winter tours that we can take to see the glaciers, northern lights, wildlife etc.. ?
I know winter is a really bad time, but this is the only time we can go!
thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,015,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumides View Post
I know winter is a really bad time
Now who went and told you that? Maybe bad if you're a nude sunbather, but IMO winter is one of the most beautiful times of the year up here. Yes the daylight is a little short, however there's still plenty to do. The Northern lights will be hit or miss, largely dependent on the weather and auroral activity:

The Geophysical Institute Auroral Forecast Page

But plenty of outdoor activities. You can start here:

Alaska Backcountry Access* --* Rafting, Hiking, Jet Boating, Gold Panning, Dog Mushing, Heli-hiking, Sightseeing, Kayaking, Boating, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Camping, Cruises, Expeditions and Glacier Tours on and near the Twentymile and Glacier Rivers

Alaska Snow Safaris: Snowmobile tours & rentals in Alaska [www.snowmobile-alaska.com].

Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,457 times
I have to agree with Moose Whisperer that winter is a beautiful time in Alaska. Its one of my favorite times of the year. Just pray for snow (and cold). Nothing is more beautiful than a foot or two of snow and ice crystals on the trees. It literally looks like a winter wonderland. Also, when it is clear and cold, you are more likely to see the Northern Lights. As far as wildlife, you have a good chance of seeing moose wondering around the city. Naturally, you will not see any bears, and few birds. If you ski, take the opportunity to hit our miles and miles of groomed cross country ski trails. Enjoy your visit.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:24 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,360,518 times
Winter Tours, the best by far is the Alaska rail road up to Fairbanks and back. its most relaxing and can upgrade accomodations and have fantasitc meal times with drink. money well spent and at stops maybe see northern lights far away from city life. yes indeed.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,529 times
This is making me homesick! Enjoy! It is BEAUTIFUL! (and cold, but it's ALASKA, that's an obvious!)

Old 11-08-2008, 09:52 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,128 times
I'm too new here to tell you about much except make sure you bring your camera!!! The mountains look different every morning . I could pull off the Glenn Hwy in a hundred different places just to take pictures. I hope I never stop gawking at God's work.

And I definitely recommend breakfast at Gwennie's for the reindeer sausage!
Dawn

Old 11-08-2008, 10:39 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,223,572 times
Well, doooh! LOL. I forgot to mention Gwennies for B'fast. Nice catch Dawn!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,106,585 times
Had breakfast last Saturday at Gwennie's, too. Denver omelet with a side of the sausage...yum!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:29 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,809,216 times
Head on up to Fairbanks and out to Chena Hot Springs! The water is awesome and the northern lights viewing is even awesomer! Or take a drive south from Anchorage stopping at Portage Glacier, then on to Seward for the sealife center and then down to Homer for some nice scenery and lunch on Lands End.

The Official Anchorage Alaska Travel Guide from the Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau

Chena Hot Springs Resort: News & Events

http://www.alaska.net/~design/scenes...e/portage.html

Alaska SeaLife Center Home Page

Homer, Alaska's Land's End Resort-Restaurant (http://www.lands-end-resort.com/restaurant.htm - broken link)

Old 11-08-2008, 11:31 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,223,572 times
The Salty Dawg is open all winter there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage