U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,503 times

Advertisements

Well hello, i have recently just moved to Fort Richardson on base from Charlotte North Carolina. I have no one here that i know no family and no friends. I do have 3 kids and of course my husband. I dont know where anything is or what kind of activities they might have here so that i can meet other moms and military wifes. I feel a little sad this is all new to me and somewhat stressful. i would also like to know how to get my kids in any kind of clubs or even a daycare. My husband wants me to be at home with the kids. But i am not used to be an at home mom. I also would like to find some kind of part time job. Anyone have answers please let me know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:28 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,626,338 times
Well, as an old retired military guy, I'd have to say your best bet is the base ombudsman, and the Family Center for some of that stuff. Your husband's command should have a wives' group. As far as part time jobs, there are a thousand in town. We have several military wives working in the office here (full time). There is a thing in the Anchorage Daily News telling you what seminars and outings are available weekly, including classes in cooking, photography, crafts, outdoor lessons in skiing, skating, etc.

There is so much to do in this town, you would need a lifetime to be able to get it all in.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:13 PM

17,824 posts, read 22,173,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopingForThe Best View Post
Well hello, i have recently just moved to Fort Richardson on base from Charlotte North Carolina. I have no one here that i know no family and no friends. I do have 3 kids and of course my husband. I dont know where anything is or what kind of activities they might have here so that i can meet other moms and military wifes. I feel a little sad this is all new to me and somewhat stressful. i would also like to know how to get my kids in any kind of clubs or even a daycare. My husband wants me to be at home with the kids. But i am not used to be an at home mom. I also would like to find some kind of part time job. Anyone have answers please let me know.
The Army provides a great many services for the family members of servicemen. The Army Community Service (ACS) can provide information, assistance, and guidance. ACS can be reached at 384-1517

If you are looking for someone to watch the kids, give the Child and Youth Services a call at 384-1506.

If you just need someone to talk to about the stress of being in a new posting, give the Family Advocacy Program a call at 384-1006.

Fort Richardson also has a "newcomer" web site that lists resources, job opportunities, churches, and family education at:

Welcome Newcomers

Old 11-05-2008, 01:18 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,185,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
There is so much to do in this town, you would need a lifetime to be able to get it all in.
Ditto this! I have to remember I do have to make time to go to work! Welcome "Hoping!" We've also been in town about 1 week. The best piece of advice we got prior to moving here was to "keep an open mind" about getting through the winter. We took that to mean - get involved, stay active, try new things, regardless of the weather or wanting to curl up in bed.

The Anchorage Daily News does list all kinds of activities - also some with/for kiddos. There's a hiking group that does the little parks around town as a group mon.'s and thur's....kids and dogs welcome. Welcome to the Alaska Outdoors

In any change like this there's gonna be some adjustment. Be nice to yourself on a routine basis. See if hubby can watch the kids for an hour and do something for yourself . PM if you need to chat!
Dawn

Old 11-05-2008, 01:36 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,260,073 times
Default in the meantime

I'd second the idea of using the base facilities and programs to the fullest, there's lot of stuff available to do but you do have to find out where to ask. Their facilities are a mix of great and weird, with the base pool definately being an example of the latter (you'll find out).

In the meantime, here's a couple suggestions to keep the kids busy.

Head out to the Eagle River Nature Center once you've got winter boots and coats for the kids. They always have some sort of interpretive event going on and some pretty easy trails for short hikes. If there are any bears around, they'll post warnings at the center and along the trails. There is also a McDonalds in Eagle River with an indoor playland if they're young enough to enjoy the tunnels.

There's an indoor waterpark in Anchorage, it's all the way across town but it's still only a half-hours drive from base. It's not huge like some of the outdoor parks in the midwest, but decent sized considering the heat bill. They have areas for kids of all ages, including a special toddlers time with just the small attractions open earlier in the days if you've got little ones. The chlorine smell hits you like a sledgehammer when you first walk in so be prepared...it does fade with time.

Ice skating out at Westchester Lagoon. There's nothing like skating outdoors, it's way better than a dinky ice rink. If the ice is thick enough to be safe the city hot mops a trail around the outside and a hockey-rink sized area to smooth it out. It'll be obvious if it's safe, lotsa people use that area for skating. No rental skates or facilities, except maybe bathrooms during daylight hours. There's also indoor ice rinks, including one at a mall as I recall. but the hockey leagues tie up most of the ice time. If you're kids are at all interested in ice skating hockey is definately a possibility, there are tons of leagues.

Once theres enough snow, a small downhill ski area called Hillside opens up right in Anchorage. It's the perfect place to learn to ski, mostly easy hills. For more advanced skiers it's about an hour and a half to the much larger downhill ski area in Girdwood. If you're interested in cross country skiing there are tons of trails both in Anchorage and around the area. The MWR people on base probably rent both kinds of skis.

Theres a big indoor sports facility in Wasilla, and they have kids play time scheduled during the weekdays. It's a bit of a drive up there from base, but it's a nice change of pace and it's both indoors and relatively warm. For parents with little kids, it's a rare thing to find a place where they can run around like crazy in the winter without a snowsuit and the whole outfit. If you can find another stay-at-home parent to carpool with, so much the better.

There was an Explora in downtown Anchorage, but it was pretty small and old when we were there. I heard they were building a new one, but I don't know if it's happened yet. There's also a museum of natural history downtown, mostly of interest to older kids. Later on around Christmas there's an exhibit of ice sculptures on a plaza downtown, well worth seeing. There's usually some programs that go along with it as well, horse-drawn wagons, etc.

The Fur Rendezvous and Iditerod dogsled race happen later in the winter, but they're definately worth seeing. The Iditerod start is right downtown, and you can stake out a vantage point along miles of the trail to watch the teams run the ceremonial start. It's pretty cool to see how psyched the dogs are from just feet away, particularly if it's a nice sunny day. The actual race starts out of town, of course.

Go for a pizza at the Mooses Tooth, it's very popular but their food is excellent as is the beer they brew. The related but separate Bear Tooth theater is a movie theater that also serves dinner, a unique combo. Not all of their movies are kid-friendly, so check the schedule.

Hope this helps, it's been a couple years since we lived in the area so there are probably some changes in details. I'm a stay-at-home-dad myself and my wifes active duty, so I know what it's like to relocate. Don't get caught in the trap of staying indoors in front of the TV all winter. It's a big change from the east coast with the weather and all, but once you start to get outside regularly you'll find that Alaska really grows on you....even in winter. : )

Old 11-07-2008, 06:43 PM

88 posts, read 192,432 times
Hi there! Though my family & I aren't up there yet (Jan), I just wanted to let you know that we're coming & will be bringing my 3 youngest kids, 2 dogs, & 2 mini horses...we're going to be living on Elmendorf, so we'll be neighbors.
These folks on this forum are the best...there's a wealth of knowlege amongst them, so you were plenty smart writing!
You're more than welcome to write me any time you'd like.
We're STOKED about moving up there...wish I could be there NOW!!!
Take care & God bless!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 PM

21,368 posts, read 35,540,635 times
For a taste of Native side of Alaska, don't forget to check out the Alaska Native Heritage Center in East Anchorage off of the Glenn Highway on Muldoon. This is a great place to learn the history of the original people of Alaska. The Yup'ik area is interesting, that's my heritage.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:14 PM

119 posts, read 365,877 times
First, welcome to the area, and thank you and your husband for your service to our country. A great way to learn all about what the area offers, and meet new friends, is the Fort Richardson ACS Newcomers' Orientation. There are extensive youth activiites a youth center and a family center available. If your children are pre-school age, ACS also runs free playgroups several times a week right on post. You can learn the meeting times of these programs by calling the main ACS number 384-1517.
If you don't want to work outside the home, but still want an adult outlet, there are plenty of volunteer opportunites, the thrift shop. Red Cross, spouses' club and ACS are a few to consider.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 AM

11,838 posts, read 27,148,503 times
Get a camera. There's so much beauty right in the Anchorage area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage