Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,358 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'd love to hear anyone's input who lives or has lived in Anchorage, Alaska. My friend and I are from Southern California; an admittedly vastly different place from Alaska... but that's sort of the point for us. We're both tired of the kinds of people in California, the cost of living and the direction the state seems to be going as a whole. (the state is totally bankrupt for starters...)

A little about the two of us... I'm 19, she is 20 so we're quite young and the bulk of our income would come from working in retail, which we're living on right now. We're somewhat interested in city life, but I've never been one for the drinking scene and I understand there are quite a few bars. She however, is very much into that. Can anyone describe what one might do on a night off?

A few more questions:

I understand there are long stretches of time where it's daylight for a while, and then times where it's just night. (or something to that affect) How does this effect people's behavior? I've heard it's "common" to hear someone mowing their lawn at 12pm and it's daylight, because they didn't realize how late it really was. Do you find this typical? I'm just interested in how the daylight, or sometimes lack of it, effects people and their routines, jobs, etc.

Is there much of a demand for makeup artists? I'm sure this isn't the best place to ask because other makeup artists would know better than most people... but I thought I'd ask anyhow. I mentioned earlier that the bulk of our income comes from retail, but I've also begun a freelance makeup artist career in the past six months that I would like to continue if I do move.

So far, this is what I'm thinking of Anchorage so far...

The warmest it gets is essentially the coldest it gets here. (75F)
It's far more politically and socially conservative than here. (which we would appreciate)
Owning and shooting guns seems to be fairly acceptable across the board, unlike here where if you were to tell someone you shoot for fun on the weekends they would stare at you like you had just escaped from a mental ward. I'm very excited about the hunting aspect that seems to be up there and if I do end up living in Alaska, I hope to make friends with those who do know how to hunt and learn from them.

Bottom line is, the two of us have become weary of the state we've grown up in and seek a change in climate. (metaphorical and literal climate) Ever since I've brought this up with friends and family members, they've been saying it's an insane plan and whatnot, but to me it sounds like they're saying *they* can't imagine *themselves* living there... Whereas I can. Or at least, I hope I'm imagining it at least semi accurately. And if I'm not, please correct me. I want to hear anything you have to tell me on the subject. Would Anchorage be an ideal place for us? Or is this just a joke? lol

Oh, and in around February we plan on visiting to get a taste of the city, the people and the the weather first-hand.

Thank you for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Well...the news stations may have a need for makeup artists for the TV peoples. And in Feb we have the Fur Rondy goings on in town which will give you some things to see and do.

DM Classic Satch. He just migrated up from Cali and I'm sure he will be glad to convince you to get the heck out of Cali and leave your friends and family behind!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:29 PM

22 posts, read 45,686 times
The bars in Anchorage are all redneck trucker bars. The shopping scene is horrible as well. Anchorage and Alaska in general are all about the outdoors. The "city life" simply sucks and to be honest your age would be the worst time to live in Alaska. I grew up there and have now just moved back when I'm not attending college. It's a good place to grow up as a child or a good place to retire when you have met your significant other and have enough income to settle down. The dating scene especially being women is horrible, I'm sorry, but most of the young men in Alaska have no direction in life. You will see what I mean when you visit in person. Once again, Alaska is a beautiful place, but not when you are young.

About me:

Lived in:
Wasilla, AK
Anchorage, AK
Daytona Beach, FL
Boca Raton, FL
Orlando, FL
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Gold Coast, Australia

Based on what you have written, I think Boulder, CO would be a good area for you two.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
I live in Anchorage and can tell you that the bar scene is there, but that both of you are a little underage. Having said that, the 20-something folks here have many good hangouts, and seem to have a good time at these places. Retail pays fairly low, but Fred Meyers pays more than the minimum and has a decent package to go with it.

Many hunters and fishers are happy to give pointers, but not many are willing to take on a beginner. Fishing has a better bet for that. DON'T work for Wal-Mart or Sam's. Costco actually takes care of their employees. We welcome all political stripes here, but do lean slightly right.

Californians are welcome, and just keep in mind, that here, we let our neighbors go their own way. Whenever I want to butt in, I shrug my shoulders, say "It's their life. Not mine." Whatever blows their dress up is fine by me.

Last edited by Marka; 10-25-2012 at 01:09 AM..

Old 11-08-2008, 11:41 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fau2010 View Post
The bars in Anchorage are all redneck trucker bars. The shopping scene is horrible as well. Anchorage and Alaska in general are all about the outdoors. The "city life" simply sucks and to be honest your age would be the worst time to live in Alaska. I grew up there and have now just moved back when I'm not attending college. It's a good place to grow up as a child or a good place to retire when you have met your significant other and have enough income to settle down. The dating scene especially being women is horrible, I'm sorry, but most of the young men in Alaska have no direction in life. You will see what I mean when you visit in person. Once again, Alaska is a beautiful place, but not when you are young.

About me:

Lived in:
Wasilla, AK
Anchorage, AK
Daytona Beach, FL
Boca Raton, FL
Orlando, FL
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Gold Coast, Australia

Based on what you have written, I think Boulder, CO would be a good area for you two.
Not sure what you were looking for...but I spent my entire life here and would not change that for anyplace on the planet. Of course I had more important things to do than go bar hopping at 19 and 20 years of age. I was building my first house at 21 and had bought my first property at 18. Sounds like this young man is looking for a place to make a start in life, not find the best bars or shopping malls to hang out in. Looking at what you have written...you've not lived in Boulder yourself. And they are obviously interested in AK not CO.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:46 PM

119 posts, read 387,480 times
A visit in February is an excellent idea. If you like it then, when it is at nearly the coldest time of the year, and with short days, you will love the rest of the year. As far as your question on how the light changes affect lifestyle, first to clarify. The amount of change in length of days varies tremendously withiin Alaska, based on how far north you are. Anchorage, being at the southern side of the state, does not have the months with no sunrise that is experienced in the northern parts of the state. In fact, as long as you are south of the arctic circle, (which crosses Alaska way north of Fairbanks), the sun comes up every day. The shortest day of the year, usually Dec 21, it gets light at 10 am or so, and it's dark by 4 p.m. in Anchorage. The longest day stretches from light at around 3 am. to sunset at midnightish. I'm sure someone will give the exact times, but that gives you an idea. So, it's not light half the year, and dark half the year as so many believe, it's just a matter of a more pronounced swing in day length between the seasons than experienced in the lower 48.
People adapt to it. There are some who suffer from SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder, and get depressed duriing the short days. There are special lamps to help deal with that. I think that if you keep active and learn to enjoy winter activities, you are less likely to suffer from SAD.
And yes, people have been known to mow their lawns at midnight, but I think most folks who have lived here a while would not be so inconsiderate to their neighbors.
You will see plenty of folks out fishing at midnight, however!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:57 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
This is for Anchorage.

Saturday
21 June 2008 Alaska Daylight Time

SUN
Sunrise 4:20 a.m.
Sun transit 2:01 p.m.
Sunset 11:42 p.m.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sunday
21 December 2008 Alaska Standard Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 9:12 a.m.
Sunrise 10:14 a.m.
Sun transit 12:58 p.m.
Sunset 3:42 p.m.
End civil twilight 4:44 p.m.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,692 times
I always wondered how some people think it's light for 6 months and suddenly with the flip of a switch, it's dark for 6 months...

Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
There's a big light switch at the Golden Valley Electric facility on Illinois St in Fairbanks.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:22 PM

364 posts, read 991,180 times
I used to live in Los Angeles and I made the move to Anchorage not too long ago. Best decision I ever made. I get to enjoy the city life while also enjoying the outdoors - in all seasons. We have some decent shopping, like the 5th Avenue Mall downtown. Unlike LA, downtown Anchorage has most of the action - restaurants, performing arts, shopping, nightlife. I think the two of you would enjoy it more up here once you're 21 so you could enjoy the nightlife. And all the bars up here are not all redneck trucker bars. Chilkoot Charlie's ("Koots") and Platinum Jaxx offer the fun of the clubs I used to visit in L.A. - without the attitude. Check out their web sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage