Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:19 PM

13 posts, read 88,986 times

Advertisements

Not knowing really what to expect with this move to Alaska. I have so many questions. In March is it safe to drive the Canadian Hwy. ? If not what is the best way to arrive to Anchorage /Fort Richardson? We were recently told it is very difficult to find housing in the Eagle River/ Anchorage area. We are just trying to plan a head to make our move as easy as possiable. Any information that can be provided as to what I can expect at this time of year would greatly be appreciated. We are looking forward to this move and ALL that Alaska has to offer .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 AM

119 posts, read 387,647 times
If you want to make your move as easy as possible, driving the ALCAN would not be the way. If you are into winter driving, scenery, feeling adventurous and have plenty of time, driving might be the answer. There is also the Alaska Marine Highway Alaska Marine Highway System :: Alaska DOT&PF (http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/Plan/Schedules/index.html - broken link), which is a ferry you can take your car on. You can get on in Bellingham Washington, for example, cruise up the peninsula, and see all kinds of scenery and wildlife. Of course the fastest, easiest way to get here is to fly to Anchorage. There are direct flights from Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, Detroit, Salt Lake City, and a few others.
Don't know what you mean by
"it is very difficult to find housing in the Eagle River/ Anchorage area. ", but I guess you mean affordable housing, close to post.
Although housing here runs higher than many areas in the lower 48, your BAH (assuming you are military) should enable you to find a decent home in Eagle River or Anchorage. Some choose to commute to the Mat-Su valley to get a larger home/bigger lot for their money, but of course that's a trade-off is a personal decision, not a necessity.
Good luck with your move and your Alaskan adventure!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 AM

Thanks AKNana for the info. We are a military family, Army. We were told by housing at Richardson that housing is pretty difficult to come by right now. I was a bit scocked by this statement due to the fact I have been searching in the Eagle River/ Anchorage area and there seems to be no short supply of homes for rent. So I thought I may put that statement out there and get a true reaction from those who are living in the area..

Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
I still don't see why people would want to board a ferry. It would be the same people everyday. I've driven the Alcan 13 times and it just gets better everytime I drive it. I'd say drive up, the road is open year round and there are plenty of places to gas up. I've done it 6 times in the winter and the rest in the summer. When you get done with your stint up here and you didn't enjoy (believe me, you'll enjoy every kilometer) the drive up, you can always take the ferry back.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:55 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
I'd go with warptman and drive up. This assumes you've driven in snow/ice conditions before and are not in any hurry to get here. The only problem you might face is a winter storm that dumps a load of snow while you're driving. As long as you're willing to hold up in a town until they clear the roads again, you'll be fine. And there's always a chance you'll miss any significant storms. The ferry is an option, but it can be expensive. While you do see the same people everyday, you also see some great scenery and wildlife too.

I don't live in the Anchorage area, so I have no idea about housing. Keep in mind the advice from others to look before you sign a lease (i.e., don't choose based on internet pictures). Inspect the property before you commit to it. Check on heating and electric usage history.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks to both Warptman, and akck for all the info...

Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
When I PCS'd to Anchorage we opted to fly in and have our stuff shipped as it was a November move and we were coming from the east coast. Ended up staying there for 22 years, ten of those years in the military and when we arrived housing was short as well so we had to live off post/base. Can't comment on homes and rentals now since we have been gone for almost four years, but as far driving goes while I was up there I took several trips down the ALCAN and the highway has vastly improved over the years. However, it is a very long ride with sections of very limited services. Considering weather and the limited amount of daylight now if you were to actually drive up you should have a good vehicle and give yourself plenty of time. It is neither safe or pleasant to try and make miles in harsh conditions just to meet a deadline for arrival.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
The Alcan is a safe highway. People get into trouble by driving over their heads. There is nothing wrong with the highway. I'd say it is safer than driving in any large city in the states.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I have a friend that just moved to Fort richardson. Basically the army moved everyhting including his car. At first he stayed in lodging with his daughter until his wife could get there and his property arrived.They wanted hius daughter to start school there as soon as possible. In the meantime he got base housing and was loaned furniture temprary until his arrived. Looking at the houing on google it seem very nice and he said they are building alot of new housing there.He and his wife and daughter flew . One of the strange things to me was that both is wife and daughter had to get military passports before leaving. American Van lines moved his furniture and othe rpossessions. He had to drive his car to Dallas where it was moved by transport;I believe then placed on a ship.Most everthi9ng paid for by teh army I beleive.He did have to pay a service to ship his dogs by plane but they arrived safely.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the information. I will have to get on Google and check out housing. As for the passports, we had to get them as well. Must be something with trsveling through Canada not sure though? Anyway I appreciate all the information you have given to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have a friend that just moved to Fort richardson. Basically the army moved everyhting including his car. At first he stayed in lodging with his daughter until his wife could get there and his property arrived.They wanted hius daughter to start school there as soon as possible. In the meantime he got base housing and was loaned furniture temprary until his arrived. Looking at the houing on google it seem very nice and he said they are building alot of new housing there.He and his wife and daughter flew . One of the strange things to me was that both is wife and daughter had to get military passports before leaving. American Van lines moved his furniture and othe rpossessions. He had to drive his car to Dallas where it was moved by transport;I believe then placed on a ship.Most everthi9ng paid for by teh army I beleive.He did have to pay a service to ship his dogs by plane but they arrived safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage