U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:22 PM

279 posts, read 980,208 times

Advertisements

Ohh! I get it kinda now. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,952,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureArchitect View Post
Dont yall have alot of gas up there though? Why are yall still paying 2$ and here its 1? Thats kind of odd. Dont you think?
It's more a matter of where the refineries are. As for what it's really like in Alaska, it's like nowhere you can imagine, and it also depends on what part of the state you look at. Go to the Alaska forum and look at the picture thread, there's one just like in the OK forum. I don't look at them often, it makes me too homesick. But I also have a picture of the Matanuska glacier as the wallpaper on my puter, so I never really forget.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:48 PM

279 posts, read 980,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It's more a matter of where the refineries are. As for what it's really like in Alaska, it's like nowhere you can imagine, and it also depends on what part of the state you look at. Go to the Alaska forum and look at the picture thread, there's one just like in the OK forum. I don't look at them often, it makes me too homesick. But I also have a picture of the Matanuska glacier as the wallpaper on my puter, so I never really forget.

Oh that also makes sense. Ill check those out.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 PM

9 posts, read 51,089 times
Default For the Future Architect

Funny, when I was 11, I was drawing house plans. Now, I am a housewife in hot, crowded, busy Houston, TX.

I am originally from New Orleans, and thereabouts (msp???), but my husband, daughter and I moved to Anchorage in 1993 from Raleigh, NC (which is also so beautiful).

And so, after spending 2 years in the "lower 48", sometimes, even with the 9 month snow, I want to go back. It is extremely beautiful. No, some places in the city, are not.... well, city-scapes and such, but I lived in Hillside, off .....oh, I forget..., but on Birch Run Drive.... in 5 minutes I was in the mtns.

The best think about Anchorage is, it is a manageable city. It has a population around 250,000 (I think)... and so, it's not crazy, like here, in Houston. Plus......it's a nice place. Except for just cold lasting so long and being so far away from home, I would go back. The cold, in Anchorage, wasn't so bad, really....it's tempered by Cook Outlet, the water, on the west. Oh, yes, it gets cold, but not as harsh as you would imagine, not like Fairbanks.

I would say go, visit (although if you catch the wrong time of the year you'll be dissapointed, many days are not sunny), but I loved it. Give it a try.

MJ

Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 PM

9 posts, read 51,089 times
Oh, a quick aside, why are you worried about gas prices so much???? In Anchorage, you can get from one end of the city to the other in 15 minutes, barely ever traffic, no metro area. You won't be driving too far, most of the time.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 AM

5,963 posts, read 11,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbs View Post
Oh, a quick aside, why are you worried about gas prices so much???? In Anchorage, you can get from one end of the city to the other in 15 minutes, barely ever traffic, no metro area. You won't be driving too far, most of the time.
Barely traffic??? In Anchorage? Where is there barely any traffic?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 AM

15,603 posts, read 38,204,103 times
On Minnesota between New Seward Highway and Airport Road at 5:00 AM!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 AM

5,963 posts, read 11,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
On Minnesota between New Seward Highway and Airport Road at 5:00 AM!
Yes, just "before" traffic time.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 01-12-2009 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,788,236 times
7 AM Sunday mornings.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 36,282,384 times
I live in Bethel, I hate Anchorage traffic!!!! It's always good to get out of town whenever I goto town! Whenever I'm there, I don't go anywhere when people goto work or home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage