Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:06 PM

28 posts, read 120,925 times

Advertisements

Here is the link for the most current Statutes and Regulations

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/pub/CPARegulations.pdf

Not only does the 150 hour requirement apply but you must also have 2 years of accounting experience satisfactory to the board. What this means is stated in 12 AAC 04.181. WORK EXPERIENCE POINTS. An applicant must have 4 experience points. An applicant may earn experience points as follows:
(1) one year of experience working in public accounting uder the direct supervision of a certified public accountant who held a current active license at the time of the supervision equals two experience points; or
(2) one year of experience working in private accounting or government accounting under the direct supervision of a certified public accountant who held a current active license at the time of the supervision equals one and one-third experience points.
12 AAC 04.183. Attest Function Hours. (a) An applicant's experience must include a minimum of 500 hours of work performing the attest function under the direct supervision of a certified public accountant.

I have more than the 150 requirement and was discouraged by a CPA to take the CPA exam in Alaska because of all the different accounting specialites you must work in order to actually get your license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 AM

138 posts, read 428,570 times
I see. So, should I just take the test in Alaska for a Texas license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovya View Post
Here is the link for the most current Statutes and Regulations

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/pub/CPARegulations.pdf

Not only does the 150 hour requirement apply but you must also have 2 years of accounting experience satisfactory to the board. What this means is stated in 12 AAC 04.181. WORK EXPERIENCE POINTS. An applicant must have 4 experience points. An applicant may earn experience points as follows:
(1) one year of experience working in public accounting uder the direct supervision of a certified public accountant who held a current active license at the time of the supervision equals two experience points; or
(2) one year of experience working in private accounting or government accounting under the direct supervision of a certified public accountant who held a current active license at the time of the supervision equals one and one-third experience points.
12 AAC 04.183. Attest Function Hours. (a) An applicant's experience must include a minimum of 500 hours of work performing the attest function under the direct supervision of a certified public accountant.

I have more than the 150 requirement and was discouraged by a CPA to take the CPA exam in Alaska because of all the different accounting specialites you must work in order to actually get your license.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:39 AM

28 posts, read 120,925 times
I don't know if that's allowed. You will have to ask both state Accountancy Boards.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:02 AM

143 posts, read 327,642 times
Reading posts on the Alaska furom, I have gathered that companies do not tend to hire people from out-of-state. Does this apply to all types of jobs? The reason I ask is because I have also read that Alaska has a problem with "brain-drain" - that is, its colleged-educated/professional types tend to leave the state. Does that open the door for business/management people from out-of-state, or do enough Alaskans stay to fill those jobs as well?

Old 12-26-2008, 10:21 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
There have been a few folks here at CD that moved here because they were hired out of state. Also...a few came up here, found jobs, then moved up.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:07 AM

638 posts, read 1,918,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
There have been a few folks here at CD that moved here because they were hired out of state. Also...a few came up here, found jobs, then moved up.

Unforuntately for those of us NOT in the medical field it's a bit harder though.

I've been noticing almost all the out of stating hiring is strictly for medical (primarily nursing)

My husband I and are going to be the latter. We'll move and then find jobs.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:06 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyButler7000 View Post
Reading posts on the Alaska furom, I have gathered that companies do not tend to hire people from out-of-state. Does this apply to all types of jobs? The reason I ask is because I have also read that Alaska has a problem with "brain-drain" - that is, its colleged-educated/professional types tend to leave the state. Does that open the door for business/management people from out-of-state, or do enough Alaskans stay to fill those jobs as well?
It is easier to find employment in 4 year degree positions such as engineers. Alaska just doesn't have the candidates to fill these professional positions and employers frequently look outside of Alaska.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:15 PM

Well I'm neither an engineer nor in the medical field. Being married and getting ready to start a family, I am wary about picking up and moving without a job. I was thinking about trying a federal job; I am in the military, so it might be easier to land after I leave active duty. Then I could try to transition to the private sector after I have my foot in the door residency-wise.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
You may find this helpful.
Finding Work in Alaska

Old 12-27-2008, 04:20 AM

Wow. Seems more difficult than I thought for out-of-staters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage