U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 PM

24 posts, read 78,608 times

Advertisements

Hello... I was just wondering if there was anyone out there from Hawaii who is currently living (or lived) in Anchorage? I love Alaska so much and hope to live there one day but I am so afraid I won't adjust to the cold/dark winters. Alaska is so beautiful that I told myself I would just get used to it but I'd like to hear of other people's experiences who have come from a tropical and/or warm climate. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM

21,368 posts, read 34,819,202 times
There's a bunch of them living here in Bethel, they've been here a long time. They love it here.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,998,435 times
think some of store owners in Skagway are from Hawaii. Skagway is a bit more fun and feels like Hawaii travel industry because of many cruise ships. Southeast Alaska you might fit in quiet well into the game of life.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
There's a bunch of them living here in Bethel, they've been here a long time. They love it here.
Thanks for the reply! That definitely tells me it's possible to get used to the cold even if you grew up in Hawaii. Weather is never an issue there and you don't realize how easy you have it until you live in a cold place and have to spend time shoveling your driveway before going to work. I have yet to experience this. For now, all I can think of is those beautiful snowcapped mountains on the water... thanks again for your reply... take care...

Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
think some of store owners in Skagway are from Hawaii. Skagway is a bit more fun and feels like Hawaii travel industry because of many cruise ships. Southeast Alaska you might fit in quiet well into the game of life.
Thanks... We were considering the southeast but I've heard it sure does rain a lot down there. But I still want to visit there someday.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 AM

351 posts, read 622,667 times
I'm from Hawaii and almost ended up in Anchorage. While I was there for 3 days I must have met about 5 or 6 people working there who were from Hawaii. Not just Oahu but from the Big Island and Maui as well. A few were Hawaii locals, not transplants - Big Island folk mainly.

I wouldn't say weather is NEVER an issue. How about the various floods in the past years. Houses washed out, people missing, Kailua had 4+ feet of water pass through one year.

It seems lately there has been more and more rain there in November and December.

But yeah it's nothing like somewhere cold. Even where I am right now in Mass, people seem to have trouble driving on snow and ice. But nothing like the drive from Anchorage to Wasilla. I know I hit over 10 patches of ice and that was when it was good.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
I'm from Hawaii and almost ended up in Anchorage. While I was there for 3 days I must have met about 5 or 6 people working there who were from Hawaii. Not just Oahu but from the Big Island and Maui as well. A few were Hawaii locals, not transplants - Big Island folk mainly.

I wouldn't say weather is NEVER an issue. How about the various floods in the past years. Houses washed out, people missing, Kailua had 4+ feet of water pass through one year.

It seems lately there has been more and more rain there in November and December.

But yeah it's nothing like somewhere cold. Even where I am right now in Mass, people seem to have trouble driving on snow and ice. But nothing like the drive from Anchorage to Wasilla. I know I hit over 10 patches of ice and that was when it was good.

Thanks for the reply bkyhi... I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said "never" an issue. I've been gone from home for about 11 years now but I did go through Hurricane Ewa and Iniki, and remember the damage it did. But I was in Honolulu and in general, the weather is not as bad as it is on the Big Island and Kauai. The cold and snow is more of what I was referring to. I just wondered if people from Hawaii can actually adapt to this kind of weather.

I visited Anchorage twice when I was a kid and almost went to school there, and then visited a year and a half ago and just found it so, so beautiful. I'm not sure if it's because both Hawaii and Alaska have big mountains that run close to the ocean or that maybe it's the snow that I am intrigued by, either way I just fell in love with it. If you dont' mind me asking, did you feel the same way as I did when you were there? What made you not end up in Anchorage?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 AM

I found Anchorage to be very nice and beautiful. One BIG difference between the Anchorage area and many parts of Hawaii is the mountains.
In Hawaii the windward sides are very steep from the erosion, you feel them tower over you as you look up, and as you look down along the ranges you see the ridges one behind the other.
The reason I didn't stay in Anchorage - I originally though Anchorage would provide a foot in the door to Alaska - more jobs, housing etc. But it is a city - I would like to get into somewhere smaller - I can do without the attractions and amenities of the city. I guess I've mellowed as I aged.

I remember Iniki. I ran into my Mom in downtown as I was leaving work, so I gave her a ride home. Then I headed home myself. I recall driving on the freeway out to the west side of the island as the high winds started and my car being blown sideways. Was an interesting drive.

There are a lot of connections between Hawaii and Alaska. Every year a golden plover from Alaska would feast on the bugs in my yard in Hawaii. Then there are the whales - and whaling history. Also the Russian influence in both places. Must be something - I understand there are a bunch of Hawaii transplants here.

As for the Pacific Golden Plovers - they make the trip between Hawaii and Alaska in as few as 50 hours - that's 3000 miles non-stop.

My favorite birds though are the Frigate birds - they have wing spans of 5 - 7 feet and fly high. It's amazing to see them ride the wind flapping only a few times over 1-2 miles.

Brian

Last edited by bkyhi; 01-06-2009 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: why not stay in Anchorage

Old 01-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
I found Anchorage to be very nice and beautiful. One BIG difference between the Anchorage area and many parts of Hawaii is the mountains.
In Hawaii the windward sides are very steep from the erosion, you feel them tower over you as you look up, and as you look down along the ranges you see the ridges one behind the other.
The reason I didn't stay in Anchorage - I originally though Anchorage would provide a foot in the door to Alaska - more jobs, housing etc. But it is a city - I would like to get into somewhere smaller - I can do without the attractions and amenities of the city. I guess I've mellowed as I aged.

I remember Iniki. I ran into my Mom in downtown as I was leaving work, so I gave her a ride home. Then I headed home myself. I recall driving on the freeway out to the west side of the island as the high winds started and my car being blown sideways. Was an interesting drive.

There are a lot of connections between Hawaii and Alaska. Every year a golden plover from Alaska would feast on the bugs in my yard in Hawaii. Then there are the whales - and whaling history. Also the Russian influence in both places. Must be something - I understand there are a bunch of Hawaii transplants here.

As for the Pacific Golden Plovers - they make the trip between Hawaii and Alaska in as few as 50 hours - that's 3000 miles non-stop.

My favorite birds though are the Frigate birds - they have wing spans of 5 - 7 feet and fly high. It's amazing to see them ride the wind flapping only a few times over 1-2 miles.

Brian
hey, thanks for writing! Yeah, you're right, the mountains are different. You are much more observant than me. I guess it's more the proximity to the ocean that I found similar. I'm no expert but it seems on the east coast, the big mountains are inland and you don't find them on the coast like you do in the west. But none are as gigantic as Alaska, as far as I know.

I too would much rather live in a small town but when I drove along Turnagain Arm, I absolutely fell in love. Plus it's easier for me to get a job in Anchorage and I must admit, I don't like malls but I do like Costco. I figure if I buy in bulk, the less I have to go shopping. I thought Juneau would be nice too but I don't know if I could take all the rain and from what I heard, you can't drive very far there.

I know you said you were in Mass now but were you just visiting and your home is in Alaska (in Barrow?)? Have you gotten used to the cold weather? I'm hoping that just comes naturally after living in a place for so long. I'm also happy to know that there are a lot of Hawaii people up there. How long have you been gone? Just wondering, I've been gone for 11 years now and I miss it yet it would be hard to go back. Being in the mainland just really opens your eyes to what's out there. I still have a lot of exploring to do but I think I belong in Alaska... ha ha... it is such a special place and the people are just so down to earth. I also like it because they let you do your own thing and not judge you by what you look like or what you do, as long as you're not hurting anyone or anything. Well, thanks again for your reply. It's just nice to get a Hawaii person's perspective on Alaska. Take care...

p.s. I forgot to comment on the whales and the golden plover. That is amazing that they both travel to/from Hawaii and Alaska. Have you seen Winged Migration? Probably... but that is a really cool movie... to see the world through a bird's eye.

Last edited by Seabiscuit; 01-06-2009 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM

Seabiscuit,

Sorry I've been out of it for a while. While in Mass my laptop hard drive had problems - wouldn't even boot, I finally got it all working just a couple of days ago. I also got sick in Mass, then once I was feeling better in Barrow, I blew it by eating a big rich meal (I actually did that twice). I just started feeling better yesterday.

I was just in Mass visiting friends - I usually get there every two or three years for a visit. I just moved to Alaska about 4 weeks ago.
I lived in Buffalo NY for a year at one time and really enjoyed the crispness of the winters. I usually visit Mass in the winter for the same reason.

I haven't had a problem with the cold - even the -34F the other day. This is due in most part to the excellent information and recommendations from posters here on City-Data. I got some good artic gear, good to -60 and lower, as I enjoy being outside a lot. Layering is important as ventilation if you're active. I haven't been out that much as I haven't eaten well and need to get more calories in me before I go on long walks, especially in the cold. It helped to have had some experience being in a colder place (relative to Hi). Learning to drive on ice and snow is a skill that will serve you well.

It seems the more I see - the more I see. In the past few days I've run across a couple from Fairbanks who had just returned from a vacation in Hawaii. Then there was the grandmother who was getting the grandkids home after they spent some time in Hawaii visiting the other grandparents.

I agree with you Juneau and the SE would be a little too rainy for me. I like a good rain sometimes, but not that frequently. I enjoyed Seattle Wa the few times I was there but not a place I would live - again the weather.

I like new experiences and am open to a challenge. I think attitude and expectations will make it or break it for anyone, but you still need to know what will and what won't work for you.

I agree with you completely - when you live in one place - like Hawaii, you need to get out and see something else. It really does open your eyes.
I used to travel a bit for work so I was fortunate to see a bit of the West Coast CA to WA, a bit in the midwest and of course my friends on the east coast.

You sound like you know what will work for you, and you are the type to make things work.

BTW they just got a nice dumping of snow on Mauna Kea this year - probably enough for some good skiing, or at least sledding. It looks great on the various webcams. One thing Alaskans may not realize is that it may only be 28F above but at 13K altitude the thin air makes it much harder on your body. I wonder how long it will last this time - might last into Feb this year.

Best of luck and best wishes to you whatever you may decide - I think you can make it happen for yourself.

Maybe you're like me. Others say "Have a good day" I say "Make it a good day"

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage