Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:41 PM

50 posts, read 128,278 times

Advertisements

Oh I miss my Hubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 05:57 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,223,572 times
The valley residents would have a much better idea of local parks. Palmer and Wasilla are really small towns surrounded by farms and small holdings. Not major metro areas by any stretch. Can only really answer questions about Anchorage.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Hello, Yes I'm still packing my dining room looks like a moving van in a way. Hey, Does anyone have any quick ideas on how to breeze through customs. We will be heading out the 21st. and will be taking the route that someone here gave us can't remember who. Well what i've been doing is marking each box with a number and then writing what's in it. I also have been writing it all down in a tablet. Box number , what's in it andwho's it is. Think that will make a defference with customs. The guy we rented the u haul from told us that he's seen them pull truck apart an throw stuff evrywhere. Kinda like having my worst nightmare confirmed. what does everyone think??chrystal

Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
I think what you're doing should show them you are organized and may help speed you through. Your only problem will be if they want to inspect box 23 and it's way up in the front. Oh, put the boxes in the van in a orderly fashion so you know roughly where each on is stored. Make 3 copies of the list. I have no idea why, but it's suggested on their website.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM

Oh where do I find this web site?? We also have some furniture. Whose been through this? How did it go for you?? this guy at u-haul really has me worried.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,128 times
I think when you refer to "customs" you're talking about driving across the border............All I can tell you is our experience.....we crossed into Canada outside of Haines, AK and then back into AK ...can't remember the town. Anyway, we had a SUV stock-full of luggage, 2 guns and a dog. We pulled up, had our papers filled out, licenses, dog health certificate from vet and birth certificates ready, smiles on our faces. Yes sir, No sir. Thank you sir and off we went. Going into Canada hubby did get out and show the nice agent our guns and paid the fee for his already completed gun forms he printed on the computer. Coming back into AK the agent asked if we did the gun papers when we came into Canada - yes sir .

Of course it really helps if its 40 degrees below zero and the nice agent is warm in his little hut and prefers not to come outside! I guess they have the right to rip your vehicle from stem to stern.......but if you're polite and prepared you're less apt to have that happen.

Yep - there's a bunch of us in the Wasilla area. Let us know when you arrive!
Dawn

Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM

What kind of papers did you have?? I've got birthcertificates, marriage , adoption paper,dogs health, Anything else I need??

Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,840,588 times
You probably want a notarized permission slip from hubby for you to bring the kids across the border.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Sorry, I should have put it up:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html (broken link)

Just click on what you're interested in and it will bring you to that section. You'll want to look at In-transit travel through Canada, which is what you're doing. You can also find any forms you'll need if you have firearms.

There is also this page:

Non-Canadians

You'll need passports after this June and a notarized letter from your husband giving permission for your kids to cross the border with both you and your uncle. If your oldest is under 18, he should be in your vehicle when you cross to avoid problems (you could end up in different lines which will lead to delays. Since you're leaving shortly, get your husband to do it now and to both fax/email and mail the original to you. The letter should state the reason for traveling and your destination and have contct information for your husband.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Oh, I have a notarized copy stating that ours sons can go with me but now one of our girls is going also. Hubby is on the North Slope so I'm not sure how to get a another paper from him. Also, when he's out on the rig he can't recieve any calls. any suggestions on this. When crossing don't you just get in a line like when your on a toll booth for the interstate. That's what we thought so that we would be together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage