U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:17 PM

50 posts, read 122,170 times

Advertisements

I've posted here before and asked a couple of ??? but I feel like I would be taking over someone else's post to keep updating and/or asking questions on their post so I thought I would start my own and keep updating.
Now it finally hit us that we are moving. Took Hubby to the airport on wednesday and he's up in anchorage now looking for house's before he starts work. The girls and I did cry at the airport,but we laughed too! Now it's time to pack, oh bugger I hate doing that! Now, here are a couple of ???. ThougH I dislike explaining things this way I will because it's easier for some. Though in time hopefully others we be open to seeing things our way. My husband and I are white and we hve 5 children total, three bio and 2 adopted. the break down is twin girls 16, oldest son 14, youngest son 10 and youngest daughter 6. Our youngest 2 are of Nigerian and Somalian descent. what I would like to know if anyone feels that we would have any problems. How excepting are people.Oh I know there's always a few people, but I'm talking in general. Oh, I suppose I should clear things up a bit. the way I was brought up was that there are one race of people-Human- but many different ethnic backgrounds. sometimes not a popular or understood stand point. We truly believe and have taught our children to not look on the outward person. Being christians has helped in this area. sometimes this makes us a little unqiue and sometimes people just don't like it. But oh well. I'll explain more as we go but I would like some in put on this . another ??? Does anyone know of a place in Anchorage area that does hair braiding?? we're looking to live in Palmer and wasilla but I don't think they would have a salon there that does it. We keep our daughters hair braided in Micro braids, I've tried looking things up online without luck but then I'm horrible at it too. Any input is welcome. Oh I'll also answer ??? if you have them for us too!Chrystal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,681,908 times
Most of the people here are VERY accepting of any children of any race. In general, racism is viewed with scorn. My youngest kid's school is 46% white. The rest are Asian, Native, black, Pacific Islander (Samoan, Tongan) or whatever. Race hasn't a lot of place up here. There are some who are bigots, and the color spectrum on bigots is wide spread.

I doubt you should have many problems at all. Welcome to Alaska.

Where's your husband going to work and what does he do?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:17 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,203,447 times
I've really found this to be a melting pot, there is a huge mix of peoples here! I don't have any info on the schools since our kids are grown, but I would feel comfortable with a blended family up here . Because my perception is it's a pretty blended community!
Dawn

Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the reassurance with the children. As far as the schools go we home school our 4 oldest and our youngest attend the kindergarten at our church school. so this is something we would continue so we don't really have to worry about schools. My handsome hubby will be working on the slope, I'm not sure where though. Boy, I miss that man!!! But, I know that's something we have to get use to since he'll be gone so many weeks but then he'll also get to be home so many weeks. woohoo!!! Here's another??? any ideas on where to find nice rental homes 3+ bedrooms, more like 4 and nothing to small. I've been looking at craigslist and the anchorage daily. But is there any where else I could look. we would like to be away from the city, since we now live in the country near a small town. Would like to keep that feeling. We're looking at Palmer,Wasilla, places like that. Well,Now we start packing. Ohboy!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,203,447 times
We were most successful with Craigslist. We came up to a 30 day short term rental and then found our rental using Craigslist in a few days. It worked better for us to be up here and "see" the area the rental was in. Definitely made a difference for one that we looked at, I'd have been dang disappointed if I'd have rented it based on just the internet pic and not knowing the neighborhood it was in. (The present tenants telling me they'd been robbed 3 times also helped a little. )
Dawn

Old 01-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Hubby,Is there and looking at homes. I find them and then he goes and looks. I have been using craiglist. I was just seeing if there were other places I should look at. But, I did talk to him and had him start asking about crime in the area of the houses. I also have been doing google earth to kind of look at the nieghborhoods. I'm not very good at it though. Please don't take a offense, I say this with a smile so I hope you'll take it that way. I am not laughing at you. we don't say our family is blended, even though it's very excepted. With tounge check we ask If we're blended what are we blended with a mixer,food processor. But I know you mean no offense and neither do we. It's one of our quirks. But, anyway anyone want to pack???

Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 PM

4,137 posts, read 8,556,450 times
Not to advertise or infringe on TOS...but I utilized this site when I was searching for our home:

www.AlaskaRealEstate.com - Advanced Property Search

Edit: I've just read that you are looking for rentals, my mistake. The aforementioned link is for purchasing. My apologies

Last edited by HighlandLady; 01-24-2009 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-25-2009, 12:09 AM

8,685 posts, read 15,789,569 times
what she said...they probably know of rentals too....

Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,564,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaxabay View Post
5 children total,
Congrat's...you have your own basketball team....

Good luck on your move...

Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 PM

119 posts, read 367,454 times
Default rental ideas

Have you been checking the newspaper classified? Anchorage Daily News is adn.com. A good place to read up on local happenings as well. As far as where to live, what is your price range for rent? Wasilla and Palmer will be less expensive than Anchorage, and since your hubby doesn't need to commute, seems like a good choice. However, there are some areas definately to stay away from, like the Butte, but they should be pretty obvious to your husband when he sees them. As far as the race question, I agree with the other posters, it's pretty much a non issue here. There are a few race-oriented gangs in some of the less affluent areas of Anchorage, but other than that, you will be fine.
Welcome to Alaska, you'll love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage