Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:20 AM

153 posts, read 462,960 times

Advertisements

I made it through hundreds of pages of n00b questions.

I could disregard the job/employment links right off because they don't apply to us.

However.. I didn't find what I was looking for, and the Chambers of Commerce in Anchorage, Eagle River etc.. none of their FAQ or links off were helpful in the least.

1- I need phone books! I'd have thought that the CoC's would have them to dole out, but they said they won't ship them, if they had them. I'm sure that's some too-busy secretary saying this to me while a pile of the dang things rot behind a door, but I NEED area phone books! Where can I get them?

2- I read that there's more than one type of grocery store up there... I don't know what I'm going to do without HEB!! (for people who haven't ever been to San Antonio, the only grocery store chain here is HEB. Sure, there's a few Walmarts/Targets/3 Sams/2 Costcos and I think there's a Whole Foods and a Sun Harvest .. but in an area with over 1.5 million crammed into 1200 sqmi .. we only have ONE grocery chain.) How do they rate? I read there's Safeway and another one?.. I've never been to either of them (I ain't from 'round these parts neither). Are there others? Is there someplace to hook up with a produce co-op?

The reason that these things concern me is that after all the research I've crammed into this weekend (and I'm about to be a med student, so please trust that I can do some serious cramming ) I am flat out worried that we are going to be struggling to scrape a living out.

ie: right now we have a 3br house with a nice big kitchen and a backyard in a decent area. Rent is 950 and water/elec/gas are another 200-350. I'm finding out that rent up there for about the same is going to be over 1200, and I have NO idea what utilities will run- nevermind the cost of net access, phone, fuel, or shipping/handling fees if I order stuff by mail.

We're getting rid of everything that we don't have a need/want relationship with in order to be under the weight limit for shipping our goods, which means that when we get there we won't have anything except clothes, beds & books.

Sorry that this got long... throw me a bone over thisaway, wouldja?

Shan

Last edited by browncoatflan; 03-03-2009 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
ACS has an online version of the phone book.

Groceries? Well...you've got Carrs/Safeway, Fred Meyers, Walmart, Costco, 3 Bears, various Mom and Pop's, and 7-11. The choice is yours.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 AM

71 posts, read 169,318 times
Shan,

Your status says calm but concerned....you seem freaked out!

Anchorage is just like any other city as far as ammenities go. Yes, it is going to be more expensive but if your husband is in the Air Force and you are going to Elmendorf then that will help quite a bit. You can shop at the commisary on base and the prices are much better than off base.

As Rance said, there are online versions of phone books so that shouldn't be an issue.

Also, if housing is a concern why don't you get on the waiting list for base housing? Right now its about 30-40 days for a 3 bedroom. I am not sure about the wait for a 2 bedroom.

Here is the link to the Elmendorf newcomers website: Elmendorf Air Force Base - Newcomers

Take a deep breath and relax a little. Is this your first PCS with the Air Force? What rank is your hubby? Being in the Air Force with orders will make things much easier for you compared to people who move without any help.

I am heading up to Elmendorf April 3 and will be posting updates along the way. Good luck on your trip and the planning.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM

153 posts, read 462,960 times
I am calm..! Well.. I'm excited/worried/calm... Once I have a budget (I over budget for spending and underbudget for income) nailed down I'll be better. Once we're on the road, I'll be flyin' high.

No, it's not my first PCS- my parents are military and I grew up overseas, I was in the Army overseas, I married an Air Force guy the first time and we PCS'd several times (Germany to the Pacific and back and forth), and now I'm married to another military guy (he's a Staff/E5)....

..... but this is his first PCS with dependents, and moving to Alaska is muuuch different than moving all over Europe or to a tiny Pacific island. Alaska isn't treated like an overseas PCS, but it gets different benefits than a L48 PCS, and I am not familiar with it. I'm the household accountant, and I don't know what his income will be once we're there, or his benefits (sooo many websites, tooo much conflicting information) so I'm trying to budget for AK on a TX income, which is stressful.

I know that I can shop at the commissary, and I do have all the EAFB links, but I've never been a base-bunny, and I generally have preferred the local offerings for everything.

Is ACS the only communications company? I know they have a directory online (that's how I called the CoC's) but it's not really the same as flipping through a phone book and being able to read the ads.

Shan

Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
There is also GCI. You can view/download their phonebook from here:

Alaska Yellow Pages by GCI

I've always used the ACS book so I don't know how good the GCI book is for ads.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM

COLA still applies. All of the entitlements are easily searched online.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM

E5 pay for over 8 years (your hubby might be different): $2,670.90 (no state income tax in AK...same as TX)
Cola (E5 @ 8 years w/ 1 dependent): about $600.00 in off base housing or $200.00 in base housing.
Food Allowance: $323.00
E5 Housing Allowance (with dependent): $1826.00

DOUBLE CHECK THESE....I just did a quick calculation based on an E5 (8yrs) with one dependent (you) = about $5419 a month if you are OFF base.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Whatever you do just make sure your personal possessions are careful secured. Otherwise they will be scattered from Texas to Alaska.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:39 PM

119 posts, read 387,398 times
If you really, really want a phone book, message me your address and I will send you one. As for upscale supermarkets, we also have two New Sagaya's. Expensive, but awesome. Also many international/Asian markets. You'll do fine here, people are great, scenery is spectacular. You should be able to find a nice rental for $1800, within 20-30 minute commute of EAFB, if you don't want to live in base housing. Make sure to review related posts for areas to avoid.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 AM

364 posts, read 991,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwachel View Post
Shan,

Your status says calm but concerned....you seem freaked out!
Yeah no kidding. Shan, you need to relax. Perhaps med school isn't for you at this time. And I hate to be the one to tell you this but Alaska doesn't have a medical school per se.

And there are plenty of places to get groceries. When I left my beloved Las Vegas, I was bummed that I wouldn't get my requisite In 'n Out burger but you know what - great alternatives exist (in this case Arctic Burger).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage