Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2006, 11:53 AM

28 posts, read 38,159 times

Advertisements

What is housing like in ANC? Does it stay on the market for long periods of time? And how does somone deal with winters? Is there a lot of activities available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 26,905 times
Hi,

Housing seems to be running pretty scarse, but like anywhere; Anchorage housing is competitive and varied. Neighborhoods to avoid buying: Parts of Mountain view, Muldoon near the Glen highway, only because they are rougher neighborhoods. You will run into more expensive housing going towards Hillside, Oceanview, further south downtown is pricey. Great neighborhoods are off of Baxter, and by the University of Alaska, Anchorage there are nice, well taken care of homes. Directly across from East high School is a "rough" neighborhood, I would avoid buying in that subdivision. Anchorage is a beautiful city, I lived in it my entire life and recently moved. There is plenty to do all year with excellent outdoor activities you just need to be motivated. The winters can be long however the past few years with last year being an exception, have been extremely mild. Summers are bright and full of wild life, winters are long but when the sun shines its beautiful! Cross country skiing is popular, skiing, snowmachining, is popular in the winter. In the summer people go camping. Most "Alaskan's" go to Big Lake, Nancy Lake, North towards Fairbanks to avoid the "tourist" rush. Alot of Native Alaskans have cabins, Motorhomes and know where to "go" to find a great place to camp. Alot of people fly out to remote lodges. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Old 07-19-2006, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,386 times
I appreciate the specifics since I am soon--in 4 weeks at the longest--moving to Anchorage. But what does "rough" mean for the neighborhoods that you mention? I've lived in Washington DC and Seattle, so it all depends, I guess..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage