Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM

21 posts, read 264,746 times

Advertisements

Hi All~
We are planning a move to Soldotna/Kenai and I have a very successful direct sales biz...Private Quarters. Are direct sales popular in AK? Is Pampered Chef there? Do you have vendor fairs?? Home improvement shows?? I have been doing this for 1.5 yrs, putting my hubby through school. We help families sleep better-featherbeds, comforters, sheets...

If you have a moment and are curious (then you could give me your thoughts on if this is possible) the website is www.MyPrivateQuarters.com

PS-I am not advertising my biz, just wondering if this is viable in AK. We don't have any consultants there-so I don't have anyone to speak with about it! So, no stones, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
It might work in the larger cities. But I'm thinking that smaller communities may see the products as frivolous & spendy. I personally love how cozy a feather bed feels. Have you thought about offering the products to hotels & cruise lines?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,416,728 times
There is Pampered Chef up here, along with various other types of companies.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM

322 posts, read 903,072 times
I've done Pampered Chef before. It depends on how much you want to make. I live in Fairbanks (though for not much longer) and it's one of the bigger places in Alaska. You can support a few parties on the side. But if you plan to support yourself with the business, I think it's hard. It's not because Alaskans don't buy - they actually do buy. It's because it is very easy to recruit yourself out of business and you also have a limited customer base. Consider that if you live in the lower 48, even if you live in a small town, you still have a lot of surrounding places to drive to for a party. But most people will make a major Pampered Chef purchase (or like products) about once or twice a year. Your host will invite all her friends and relatives to the party. Then they will all make their major purchase for the year and be glad to have another party next year. If you sign any of them up, since they all know each other, you've just recruited yourself out of that business.

I know people will say that's not the case, but I think it's hard to build a team here because everyone knows everyone and it's not like you get a bunch of fresh influx of people. We have a lot of consultants, but not many directors. I think you can successfully earn enough money on such a business to support a car payment or save up for a vacation or some other small goal - but probably not enough to live on here. I notice a lot of consultants that live in major metropolitan areas have no problem building large teams and quitting their full-time jobs to sell Pampered Chef and earn trips and all kinds of incentives. And you won't believe how many people in town will already be someone else's customer when you meet them at the Fair, etc...

BTW...Fairbanks has a lot of this stuff. We have Mary Kay, Cookie Lee, Stamping Up, Arbonne, umpteen health and beauty products, etc... There are lots of fairs - The Tanana Valley State Fair, the Home Show, Women's Affair, The Winter Show, Wedding Show, etc... This town loves its fairs. The problem is, usually only one of each type of company can sign up. It will be one of the directors (usually the first one to make director in town) who signs up and then his/her consultants are the ones who work shifts and get all the leads from that event. So if you move here and are under a different director, you might find it hard to get into some of the events. My advice would be to poke around and see what products someone doesn't already sell here - because the first to sign up and bring the products to town will be able to build a team and turn a steady profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage