Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 PM

17 posts, read 44,379 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are looking into moving to Anchorage from St. Louis, MO this summer. There are lots of things that attract us to the area, but one of the most important is the Turnagain Elementary School located at 3500 W NORTHERN LIGHTS BLVD. I am native Russian. I have learned that this school teaches in Russian half a day and another half in English. We have two children 2.5 and 5 years old and it would be really great for them to attend something like that. I have searched the web for the ratings of school by parents, but couldn’t find anything. If there is any parents on this site whose children attend the school and could can tell me their opinion of it I’ll be the most grateful. I am also interested in the info about the neighborhoods around it. Is it in middle class, upper class, lower class or something entirely different? Is it safe are for living and going to school?

Thank you all,

Olya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 06:59 AM

I was very sad to learn today that Turnagain Elementary is located just about 1 mile or 7 blocks away from Spenard Rd. This is a big crime spot right where it crosses Northern Lights Blvd. according to this map- http://www.muni.org/iceimages/APD1/ancpersonoct08.pdf (broken link) What a disappointment unfortunately.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,954 times
Turnagain has a great reputation, and is in a nice neighborhood. You really don't need to worry about crime or anything of the sort. Spenard isn't that close, and it's actually gotten better over the years.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 AM

lanamr68, thank you very much for the answer. :-))))

Old 03-19-2009, 08:35 PM

153 posts, read 463,188 times
How did you find out about this curriculum?

I wonder what other schools are offering that kind of thing, and if oither languages are offered!

Shan

Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM

153 posts, read 463,188 times
Nevermind- I found it!

Anchorage World Language Immersion Programs, in case anyone else is interested.

Also- does anyone here have any thoughts about it? Your kids in it and how they like it?

Shan

Old 03-28-2009, 06:39 AM

Shan, there are other schools in Anchorage that teach different languages. You can find out more info about them here ASD | Curriculum | World Languages | Language Immersion Program FAQ

The only thought that I have is that I am Russian and I want my kids to speak, read, and write in my language.

I couldn't find a lot of people to give me their opinion on the school, but those I spoke to (4,5 people) all had great things to say about it, so I have enrolled my 5 year old into it.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
I highly praise the Russian Immersion at Turnagain. I work in an immersion program in ASD & am greatly impressed with the Russian program. Turnagain is quite a distance from Spenard. I have had a number of friends who have raised their children in neighborhoods of Turnagain. Plus, the Russian Immersion will be so pleased to have your son & you as a Russian-speaking volunteer! We are very proud of our volunteer parents in our immersion programs. Welcome to Anchorage World Languages!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:28 PM

bongo, thank you very much. It is really nice to get such a sweet welcome. thank you again for the post and your opinion.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM

17 posts, read 90,531 times
Olyal,

I live in the Turnagain neighborhood and am only a few blocks from the school. As other people have said you aren't that close to Spenard. It is a great place to live. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage