Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 AM

167 posts, read 422,446 times

Advertisements

In the middle of June J will be driving from Albany, NY area to Anchorage with our Geo, 5x8 flat bed trailer and our 110lb black lab. I have read past threads about what we need to do to travel by land with the dog. I have to wait until the beginning of July to come up, so I will be flying out of Bradley Airport with my cat. I have searched past posts on flying with pets but things have changed so much with the airlines in the past year that I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience flying with a cat? Any advice on which airline might be best,(I'm hoping to have him on board with me) and thoughts on medicine for air sickness or sedation. I bought an airline approved carrying case and have started taking the cat (Spike) on rides around town to try and get him used to it. He is not real happy about it but at least he hasn't freaked and he barely makes a sound. I hate the thought of him being 12 hrs or more in the carrier but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I just want him to arrive safely with as little trauma as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice. D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 11:11 AM

80 posts, read 251,073 times
I flew out with my cat when I moved, and it was no problem from the cat's perspective. What you have to have is a recent copy of the cat's veterinary records (shots, etc.) that are on the carrier at all times. Some airlines won't fly pets, so always make sure to ask. I think most, if not all, carriers will permit pets to fly. My little guy had flown around quite a bit already, so he was cool with it. I flew with him under the seat, or the carrier in my lap at times. I didn't feed him prior to the trip, but I did bring a little water dish and water -- went in the ladies' room and let him drink it. As long as you have a ticket for your pet and all of the relevant documentation, should be no problem.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:30 PM

322 posts, read 902,697 times
I flew from Boston to Fairbanks with a cat. That was on Alaska airlines about six years ago. I do think the fees they charge have gone up significantly. But basically, my cat was my carry-on bag and rode under the seat in front of me in one of those flexible carriers. The cat had to have a current health certificate (which at the time, no one bothered to check). You have to take the cat out of the carrier and put the carrier on the conveyor belt for security and then walk through the metal detector with the cat in your arms. So the cat may be nervous at being pulled from the carrier in front of all the strangers at an airport. The carrier also needs to be lined with a pad in case of accidents. Alaska Airlines limits the number of pets per flight, so you have to let them know ahead of time that you have an animal when you buy your ticket. They also said they had a fifteen pound weight limit for in cabin pets, though no one actually weighed my pet on the flight. But yes, you will want one of those cloth carriers, that can fit under a seat for the animal.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:41 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
I went through all the trouble of doing everything Alaska Airlines' website said you needed to do to fly with your cat and the airline did not check a single thing. I say that not to encourage others to disregard the "rules" but in aggravation. I even got a note from a vet saying my cat was healthy enough to fly to Alaska. That was money I really could not afford to spend. But the flying experience went fine, those collapsable cat carriers are great even for a larger cat.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:23 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2AK&ME View Post
In the middle of June J will be driving from Albany, NY area to Anchorage with our Geo, 5x8 flat bed trailer and our 110lb black lab. I have read past threads about what we need to do to travel by land with the dog. I have to wait until the beginning of July to come up, so I will be flying out of Bradley Airport with my cat. I have searched past posts on flying with pets but things have changed so much with the airlines in the past year that I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience flying with a cat? Any advice on which airline might be best,(I'm hoping to have him on board with me) and thoughts on medicine for air sickness or sedation. I bought an airline approved carrying case and have started taking the cat (Spike) on rides around town to try and get him used to it. He is not real happy about it but at least he hasn't freaked and he barely makes a sound. I hate the thought of him being 12 hrs or more in the carrier but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I just want him to arrive safely with as little trauma as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice. D
As well as a record from the Vet that the shots are current, get a Certificate of Health, needs to be dated within 30 days of flying date. Sometimes the airline will ask for it, other times not, but good to have just in case. We used Continental last year. Should not be a problem. Bradley Airport....I flew out of there a couple of years ago when I came down when my mother was sick in CT. Now you did buy the carry-on carrier, right? Because as long as the carrier will fit under the seat in front of you the cat can remain at your feet, and I am assuming he is under 14#. I did that years ago with a little pekinese I had at the time, did it last year when we flew to N.Y. from Alaska and the little peke we have now was fine with it.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 06-24-2009 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 AM

17 posts, read 65,829 times
Alaskapat: how long is that flight? If i go i'm bring my chihuhua in a carry on and i'm wondering how long he'll need to "hold it"

Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoNYC View Post
Alaskapat: how long is that flight? If i go i'm bring my chihuhua in a carry on and i'm wondering how long he'll need to "hold it"
Coming from NY it's about a total of 10 hours or so, but with the changing of planes you should be able to hopefully walk the dog. Our stopover was in Minnesota last year and I took our little peke out of the carrying case so she could get exercise and an employee told me that was not allowed and that I could be fined for that. I was shocked because at the airport in Anchorage people do it all the time. Feed and water your dog a couple hours before you need to be at the airport and if you don't get to walk it during layover it should be ok. Our large dog, the Pit, had to ride in the cargo area which I hated but had no choice, however, she was fine.

Put a small empty bowl in carrying case so you can give your dog a little water at the layover.

Also, depending upon the mood or personality of the flight attendants, they don't like you holding the case in your lap and letting the dog's head come out for just a few minutes lol.

Are you leaving out of Kennedy? Last year was my very first trip to NY and whoa Kennedy.....I said toooooooooo big, tooooooooo many people lol.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 AM

JFKis a living nightmare. the only two airports i hate more- well, equally- are DeGaulle and Leningrad. All of them need to be demolished with high explosives.

Haven't gotten as far as where would i fly from, tho. 10 hrs is a long time and how the hell are you supposed take care of your dog's needs if you can't take him out? i don't know if mine can go 10 hrs w/out peeing!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:40 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
On the health certificate, I'd say it's about 60-40 on being asked for it, with the 60 not being asked.

One thing I've noticed lately on Alaska Airlines is that there have been flights with big dogs walking off the plane and there seem to be more pets in the cabin. Did they change their rules on the size of pets allowed in the cabin?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
On the health certificate, I'd say it's about 60-40 on being asked for it, with the 60 not being asked.

One thing I've noticed lately on Alaska Airlines is that there have been flights with big dogs walking off the plane and there seem to be more pets in the cabin. Did they change their rules on the size of pets allowed in the cabin?

I would think the FAA has regulations that bar that? some potential for hazards or lawsuits if someone is bitten
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage