Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 04:48 PM

8 posts, read 14,406 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Alaska in Oct thru Dec. depending on
plans and priorities but was looking at Wasilla , Palmer , Eagle Rock
area but am open for suggestions . I am a Automotive technician for 15 yrs and done other Jobs around this industry, I am single so really have no attachments but the ( Dog ) ....... I'm all for the outdoors hunting , fishing , hiking , camping whatever and cold , I lived in Duluth Minn. for a couple years tell the parents had to move ..So I can understand starting the vehicle at 2 am in the morning or shoveling snow . My question is what are my chances of getting a decent paying job in a somewhat smaller town (15,000 & down ) ... don"t mind the bigger cities but just like the quiteness of smaller towns sometimes . Hopefully this wasn't to long but was enough to recieve some options..... Thanks for your time and info.......

Ps . Is there such a thing as a sourdough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 04:55 PM

80 posts, read 251,093 times
Don't discount Anchorage as a place to live and work. With the economy being such as it is, I would really stack my decks in that direction. Cars go ker-plunk all the time in AK, and there's a lot of tire-swapping and general maintenance, so I'd guess that you're in a very, VERY good line of work, even if you chose to operate independently. In fact, you could do really well for yourself, owning your own business.

Anchorage isn't that bad. It has a small town feel to it, to my mind. Lot of local businesses (what I loved about it). And its very accessible. I like Eagle River, too, which is close to Anchorage, and very, VERY gorgeous. Something about it reminds me of Scotland -- does anyone else get that impression?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:06 PM

Thank you for the reply..... Achorage was on the list just brain farted
I heard alot of people commute to their from the upper inner cities .....
what is rent like in these cities and living exspenses , like food ,
water , gas , heat , etc... And of course Ak. being my fishing heaven
how are the rivers and ocean access for these places ....I own quads
is this good up their or better to have one of each.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Meaning a snowmobile and quad.....

Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetolive View Post
plans and priorities but was looking at Wasilla , Palmer , Eagle Rock
area but am open for suggestions .

Ps . Is there such a thing as a sourdough?
Do you mean Eagle River or Eagle Rock? There is an eagle rock area near Soldotna...but really it's just a spot along the river. More of a fishing hole.

Yes there are sourdoughs. And cheechakos. You would be a cheechako until you graduate to the sourdough mode...which can take years!
Cheechako is slang for greenhorn or newbie.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times
I've been here for 9 years and consider myself a cheechako of the first water. But most guys have a lot more outdoors sense than I do, so they graduate much earlier. But someday....

Old 04-25-2009, 10:44 PM

Yes ..... sorry Eagle River was what I was replying and thanks for the response
( JusTtheTemp ) ..... was good info .... in the Mat-su area even as far as willow
I'm just looking at options so that I may start looking in that way even as far as Anchorage , I dont' have a problem living in a place for how ever long to see where my abilities in work and my normal living would bring me . I see most people say come up & see if you like it ... I live in somewhat of the same climates just not so much in the snow but I drive in it yearly ..... if I could get some basic town info from possible( life stlye , jobs, rentals , access etc.... ) would be great . My thing is I would take a trip up their but would rather save the money and learn from the sourdoughs what is my best options , ( cheechako ...lol ) everything will be taken to interest thanks for all the response .........

Old 04-25-2009, 10:57 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
I've seen quite a few job ads for auto mechanics in Mat-Su area and Anchorage. Like JustTheTemp said, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting work, really in just about any area.

Guess I'll still considered a cheechako, moving here just this past September, though this past winter was really mild in my eyes. Really looking forward to some good hiking in the next few weeks.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:31 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I've seen quite a few job ads for auto mechanics in Mat-Su area and Anchorage. Like JustTheTemp said, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting work, really in just about any area.

Guess I'll still considered a cheechako, moving here just this past September, though this past winter was really mild in my eyes. Really looking forward to some good hiking in the next few weeks.
Cheechako.... give me a rest...If you are from Duluth can do this..we came from MN...lots of others here from MN...do the deed, then whine or brag...I am so tired of this....get off they arse.....

You said trouble...duh...mild, maybe...are you real...or Kodak moment coming to life....????

Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
I have to agree Granny, either love it or leave it.

It's kinda funny, I use to tell people that one reason we are moving to Alaska is to get away from the heavy bad winters. They would laugh, not knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage