U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:55 PM

41 posts, read 155,467 times

Advertisements

Hi again! So my family and I found a place and I was wondering if anyone had some 1st hand experience with Timber Ridge Apartments in the Fire Lake area. I found some good info on schools in the area and I heard that the mosquitos might be worse there. Does anyone know if it is a 'walkable' area, maybe to a small store or whatnot . I love to be outside and I am hoping I wouldn't have to take my girls for walks around the parking lot I could always join a gym and I know there are trails but not needing a vehicle while my husband is at work for awhile would be awesome (and it is easier to get up and go whenever we want). Thanks for the input
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,492,941 times
Personally, can't help you because I rarely go into Eagle River proper, just drive past on the highway.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:01 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,277,164 times
If you really want to experience everything get a second vehicle. How are you gonna get the girls to the doctors office if your husband has the car at work? Contrary to the popular green opinion Anchorage and Eagle River aren't walkable communities especially in the winter with small children. My wife would have gone ape s**t if I left her at home with no ride. She drove the new car and I got around in a rust bucket beater....

Old 05-10-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If you really want to experience everything get a second vehicle. How are you gonna get the girls to the doctors office if your husband has the car at work? Contrary to the popular green opinion Anchorage and Eagle River aren't walkable communities especially in the winter with small children. My wife would have gone ape s**t if I left her at home with no ride. She drove the new car and I got around in a rust bucket beater....
That is what we normally do, however I was hoping during the warmer weather I could have had that as an option and waited a little bit longer to get a 2nd car. But from the info I am gathering it will be better to do it sooner rather than later. Plus I am not a homebody and like to be on the move so I guess we will be dishing out the $ for a 2nd car sooner. Thanks for the input

Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,433,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice04 View Post
That is what we normally do, however I was hoping during the warmer weather I could have had that as an option and waited a little bit longer to get a 2nd car. But from the info I am gathering it will be better to do it sooner rather than later. Plus I am not a homebody and like to be on the move so I guess we will be dishing out the $ for a 2nd car sooner. Thanks for the input
Anchorage has numerous car dealerships. Good thing is you won't have to pay sales tax.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 PM

1,858 posts, read 2,819,830 times
Can you say craigslist? Lots of cars there. Not sure if you're military or not, but if so, there is always the Lemon Lot on base with plenty of good deals.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:42 PM

153 posts, read 427,833 times
Have you done a search for that complex?

I looked at http://www.apartmentratings.com/ whenever I was looking for an apartment, and it helped me NOT choose quite a few places in the past.

Nothing beats a good grounds-walking though, or just asking people that live there. I would walk around a little and just call out to people like a crazy woman and ask if they liked the complex or not. Never had anyone NOT talk to me about it.

Shan

Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,556 times
I lived there. There are new owners now so maybe the quality has gone up. But it's definitely livable. It's across the street from an elementary school (where I work) and Fred Meyers (a supermarket) is a five minute walk away. You would also be very close to a bike trail, literally, right off the parking lot. Each apartment is different so I can speak for them all but I had a lot of problems with my apartment, the maintenance and management. Again though, there's new owners. Good luck, I hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Thanks for all the info! I am here now, so far so good . The new property management team seems nice, I have only been here for 3 weeks. But I will post on apartmentratings.com for future inquiriers. I found the bike trail and the park at the elementary school. I like that Fred Meyer is within walking distance. I am not much of a sit still person so the area works for me for now. I do really like Eagle River as much as I have seen. Oh and for the record Alaska is the most majestic and captivating place I have ever seen, and I have only been here 3 weeks so there is still a ton to see. I think it is easy to lose yourself (i.e. stresses and worries) here when everytime you turn around you see magnificant mountain peaks and wildlife. I feel less self consumed and more awakened and aware of my surroundings. My thoughts have simplified more living here. There is so much I want to see and do. Sorry for the rambles, but when my plane landed my breath was taken away.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:55 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,692,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice04 View Post
Thanks for all the info! I am here now, so far so good . The new property management team seems nice, I have only been here for 3 weeks. But I will post on apartmentratings.com for future inquiriers. I found the bike trail and the park at the elementary school. I like that Fred Meyer is within walking distance. I am not much of a sit still person so the area works for me for now. I do really like Eagle River as much as I have seen. Oh and for the record Alaska is the most majestic and captivating place I have ever seen, and I have only been here 3 weeks so there is still a ton to see. I think it is easy to lose yourself (i.e. stresses and worries) here when everytime you turn around you see magnificant mountain peaks and wildlife. I feel less self consumed and more awakened and aware of my surroundings. My thoughts have simplified more living here. There is so much I want to see and do. Sorry for the rambles, but when my plane landed my breath was taken away.
Yeah for you!!!!! You will have to keep us up to date on your families new experiences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage