Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,416,517 times

Advertisements

My friends and I signed a lease on a house to rent off of Dearmoun down by Rabbit creek. We want to put a grill on the deck, but we dont know what the bear situation is like in that part of town.

Are there alot, or should we not worry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,505 times
We live a little higher in the same general area and yes there are bears - more likely to see black than brown but they both cruise all over this area. That said, we do have a grill outside and have never had any problems, even though we frequently have both brown and black bear poop in the yard.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
My friends and I signed a lease on a house to rent off of Dearmoun down by Rabbit creek. We want to put a grill on the deck, but we dont know what the bear situation is like in that part of town.

Yes, they are around. We live off Upper DeArmoun and usually see a few Blackies every summer. I might spot one Brownie every summer in the area as well. I keep a grill outside, but my deck is way too high to be within reach of any critters. My other neighbors do the same and I haven't heard of any complaints. Keep in mind though, seem's like we've been getting at least one marauding bear shot by a hillside resident every summer for the past few years. Couple years ago, one guy shot one in his living room!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post

According to the Alaska Department of Fish & Game, there are between 250 and 350 black bears and between 55 and 65 grizzly bears living within the city limits of Anchorage. Mostly on the southern and eastern side of Anchorage and along the various greenbelts, than elsewhere.

If you don't leave food outside, keep your trash well covered, and keep your grill reasonably clean, then you should not have problems. That is not to say that you will not be visited by bears. However, a bear will be less likely to cause damage if you take a few basic precautions.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,416,517 times
Thanks for the info. I grew up in Haines, so I am familiar with bears. I just wasnt sure how many were on the southside of Anchorage.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:13 PM

7 posts, read 8,759 times
I live in Haines at this time, and we have our fair share of bears, both in town and in the surrounding areas. Of course, you have to vigilant in bear country, and constantly aware. Bears really prefer fish, but the smell of grilling meat is more than likely to eventually create some bear interest.... If you have a grill outside, just clean it very well, and it shouldn't be a problem....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: