Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 AM

28 posts, read 91,764 times

Advertisements

Hi

I may be making a move up to Anchorage in the next month. Can anyone give me some good and safe apartments to live at. I may be working in the midtown or mountainview area. I would like to live near I work (within 5 miles)

thank you
jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,181,295 times
Don't rent in Mountainview. Period. Be wary of certain areas in Spenard. Jewel Lake, Independence Park, East Tudor area, a little further but definitely safer.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM

49 posts, read 107,909 times
Someone posted a link to Weidner apartments in another thread. I've found it quite helpful to see some of the apartments and locations so maybe it'll help you. Here's a link to their Anchorage page: Weidner Apartments - Anchorage (http://www.weidner.com/Weidnerapartments/Anchorage.asp - broken link)

Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 PM

Hi

It's official. I will be moving up to Anchorage at the begining of August. I was asked to work at one of the schools.

Excited, nervous and starting to wonder if I am nuts. I have always wanted to teach and live in Alaska. This year was the right time. I can't wait for an exciting and fun adventure.

Just curious, can you cross-country ski in town. I see all of the parks.

thanks
Jennifer

Old 07-14-2009, 12:40 AM

There are literally hundreds of miles of trails throughout the city that people can cross country ski on in the winter.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:40 PM

Hi

Thank you for answering my question. I know what areas to avoid such as Mountainview and certain areas in Spenard. Jewel Lake, Independence Park, East Tudor area.

I looked at the google map with all the neighboorhoods (will avoid ones in red). I will be working in Mountainview area, so what are some nice/safe neighboorhoods nearby. I would like an easy drive for the winter. I will be renting an apartment. I am not sure if I should go west, south, etc. I thought about Roger Park area, campbell park, airport heights, northeast.

Can someone give me a list of neighborhoods that are safe/nice to live in and close to mountainview.

Thank you again for answering all of my questions. You must be tired of answering same stuff over and over again. It seems like everyone is so friendly and helpful in Anchorage.

Jennifer

Old 07-19-2009, 01:01 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,923,439 times
Rentals | adn.com

Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,605,548 times
Try looking at some of the apartments over by the University and Providence Hospital. There are some okay complexes in those area. I'd avoid rentals in Muldoon and Moutain View. Some areas of Muldoon may be okay but it's spotty. Mountain View I'd just stay out of all together.

I like the Jewel Lake and Sand Lake area myself. It's a little further drive but not much. It seems to just be a quiet area. You might also look in the Independence Park area. Depending on when you get here you might still be able to stay in the dorms over at the University until school starts. It's $50 a night which is cheaper then most hotels. Plus it's safe. I'm not sure on when the end date is though for the summer.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:35 PM

I thought I said Jewel Lake, Sand Lake and Independence Park are nice areas. If I didn't, they are. Really nice. Seriously.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,605,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I thought I said Jewel Lake, Sand Lake and Independence Park are nice areas. If I didn't, they are. Really nice. Seriously.
You did. I just missed it. Very nice areas, very nice indeed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage