U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,290 times

Advertisements

Okay, so as you may have guessed from the title, I currently live on the Jersey Shore. I've lived here my entire life, and I've finally started looking into colleges.

I already know that I want to go as far away as possible for college, and I've done quite a bit of traveling with my family over the years. I've seen almost forty of the states, as well as Quebec and Ontario.

Sadly though, I haven't made it to Alaska yet. It's always been a very attractive place to me, considering I don't like heat, and I don't like humidity. I've always enjoyed snow, and I love the mountains.

I hate how crowded NJ is. My whole area, like much of the other state, is rapidly becoming overpopulated. However, I also like the city.

Whilst on Collegeboard.org, I came across UAA. Even though I'm not entirely sure what I'd like to study in college, it has most of my possibilities. Which is really good, considering I may like to be a pilot.

I do have a few concerns though. Being by the ocean, bay, and marshes in NJ, I do have experience dealing with various flies and mosquitoes.

Also, it doesn't appear as though you can major in photography at UAA. Can you at least minor in it? Or just take classes?

But just how bad are the bugs up in Anchorage?
How much snow do you get on average?
What can you tell me about UAA in general?
How difficult would it be to adjust from the New Jersey climate to the climate in Anchorage?
How many miles do you have to venture outside of Anchorage before you're in wilderness?
If I do decide to go, would it be best to drive, fly, take a boat?

And any other information would be much appreciated. I've still got a decent amount of time before I have to make any solid decisions about the college I will attend, but I'd like to get as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,131,103 times
Hello,
I am currently attending UAA so I will attempt to answer as many questions as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randurr<3 View Post

Also, it doesn't appear as though you can major in photography at UAA. Can you at least minor in it? Or just take classes?
I dont know about minoring in it, but there are classes offered in Photography.
Quote:
Not bad at all. I have noticed very few bugs here.

Quote:
It really seems to depend on the winter, but last winter I never saw snow over my waist which is about three feet.

Quote:
I like the school. From what I have seen all the teachers are really cool. The class sizes are small. There seems to be some incompetence in the administration, but I think that exists at most schools.

Quote:
How difficult would it be to adjust from the New Jersey climate to the climate in Anchorage?
Anchorage seems to be a pretty mild climate. It will take some time but not an extended amount of time.

Quote:
How many miles do you have to venture outside of Anchorage before you're in wilderness?
Not far. There are some trails only five minutes from the campus. The school sponors all sorts of fun outdoor activities like skiing, rock climbing, etc.

Quote:
I say fly up here for the first year, and then decided whether or not to bring a vehicle. Unless you make friends with vehicles, I think a car is a good thing to have. However students do ride the busses for free.

Quote:
And any other information would be much appreciated. I've still got a decent amount of time before I have to make any solid decisions about the college I will attend, but I'd like to get as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance!
I cant think of any major info other than you will need to watch out for moose!

Send me a message if you have anymore questions.

Alec

Old 06-15-2009, 02:10 PM

3,344 posts, read 5,016,820 times
Quote:
The climate shouldn't be difficult to adjust to. The main differences though are:
-Winter is longer and colder (snow from early-mid October to late April is common)
-Summers are much cooler
-Drier overall in all seasons
-Thunderstorms are rare

The average snowfall is only 70 inches but that's for one location in Anchorage. I'm not sure which location that average is from but other places average much more than that in Anchorage.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 PM

131 posts, read 504,557 times
I went from Southern California to UAA for school and adjusted quick.

Winter can be long, but summer more than makes up for it.

Bugs are really not an issue within Anchorage. UAA is a good school, but not much of a party/social school. While going to hockey games is fun, there really is nothing going on with sports like schools in the Big 10, Pac 10, etc.
All and all it was amazing and I even stuck around for two more years to live in Anchorage.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:27 PM

5,356 posts, read 17,519,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
Hello,
I am currently attending UAA so I will attempt to answer as many questions as possible.......

I like the school. From what I have seen all the teachers are really cool. The class sizes are small. There seems to be some incompetence in the administration, but I think that exists at most schools.
That incompetence is one reason my son isn't going there. He got a letter telling him to call an advisor and the person told him most students don't talk to an advisor and schedule classes themselves online. He's had more helpful interest from UAF and UAS and he didn't even apply to either.

I will say that the dorms at UAA were the nicest ones we saw on his college tour.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,290 times
I'm not too worried about incompetence among the administration... I've dealt with that throughout my entire education really. It's is however, good to hear that the dorms there are nice.

As far as partying and sports go, I've never been too into sports, and I've never been a fan of "partying".

I'd miss the thunderstorms, but I'd gladly give up the summertime heat and humidity. I hate that heavy, gross feeling in the air.

Any other tid-bits of info about UAA or Anchorage will be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,951 times
Hi, I am from New York and decided I wanted to go somwhere far away for school. I decided on UAA and overall I had a really great experience. I am home for the summer now but will be heading back in August and I plan on staying there until I get my degree. The winter was long, but I enjoy the snow and the night time so that was a plus for me. The dorms are spacious and clean and the food is really good also. All of my professors were really helpful and easy to get in contact with. I noticed that coming from NY that the people in AK were a lot more friendly there also. Hope that helps a little!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 PM

15,599 posts, read 37,089,594 times
Right on elizabeth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: