U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM

41 posts, read 156,096 times

Advertisements

I made jam this past weekend from fresh picked salmonberries. It was the most amazing thing ever. My uncle used to make raspberry jam but the salmonberry jam blew it out of the water. Wild berries are so amazing, my uncle used to grow the raspberries on a ledge in Clifton NJ. LOL! We also made blueberry jam that was outrageous too, but the salmonberry takes the cake! For anyone who has never done it before and loves jam, it is so easy!! You should definately try it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 PM

49 posts, read 99,840 times
If you don't mind me asking.... What is salmonberry? I've never heard of it.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 PM

It is a cousin to the raspberry. It apparently is very abundant here. It looks just like a raspberry but a tad bit more orange. It has a super similiar taste to the raspberry maybe a tad more tart. Raspberry is my all time favorite, this berry I love equally as much. First time I had it about a week ago. If you like raspberries you should enjoy salmonberries just as much.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM

22,894 posts, read 31,190,381 times
I am experimenting with making an adult beverage out of salmonberries--I'llbe making it into wine and then running it through the still.

In fact--I think this weekend we're going to pick some salmonberries and have daiquiris on the deck

Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM

6,992 posts, read 11,501,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I am experimenting with making an adult beverage out of salmonberries--I'llbe making it into wine and then running it through the still.

In fact--I think this weekend we're going to pick some salmonberries and have daiquiris on the deck
dang we would love to be joining ya for this one Met!!! have one for me for sure....an a couple for Wanderer818 (Ron) and Claire (Red)...

Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 PM

Man I am missing the fun! I never thought of daquiris. I think I might try that too! Let me know how the 'adult beverage' turns out.

Last edited by aprice04; 07-27-2009 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: mistype

Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 PM

The wine should be all right and when it's distilled into brandy it should be even better Will have a few for sure for Ron and Calire.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:21 PM

17,824 posts, read 21,946,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice04 View Post
Man I am missing the fun! I never thought of daquiris. I think I might try that too! Let me know how the 'adult beverage' turns out.
Give salmonberry coulis a try sometime. It is particularly good over anything chocolate.

Salmonberry Coulis
A pint of fresh salmonberries
juice from half a lemon
2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons of Chambord or Framboise liqueur

Strain the salmonberries through a fine sieve to remove all the seeds. Add the lemon juice, sugar, and raspberry liqueur and mix well. Refrigerate, and serve cold. Makes approximately 1 cup of salmonberry coulis.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Give salmonberry coulis a try sometime. It is particularly good over anything chocolate.

Salmonberry Coulis
A pint of fresh salmonberries
juice from half a lemon
2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons of Chambord or Framboise liqueur

Strain the salmonberries through a fine sieve to remove all the seeds. Add the lemon juice, sugar, and raspberry liqueur and mix well. Refrigerate, and serve cold. Makes approximately 1 cup of salmonberry coulis.
Sounds fantastic. I think I will try this for my husband's birthday next week. Thanks Glitch

Old 07-29-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice04 View Post
Sounds fantastic. I think I will try this for my husband's birthday next week. Thanks Glitch
The adult beverages turned out really well of course but I think I'm going to try this tonight. I have some cream flavored ice cream I think it would be good on--it's 81 degrees out, pretty rare here in SE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage